ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Who makes the best mattress - Zzzzzzzzzzz  (Read 9352 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: Who makes the best mattress
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 10:57:37 AM »

The wife and I just got a new bed.  We ended up changing to a king sized bed.  We each found a twin XL mattress we liked.  They happen to be from Ashley Furniture and  happen to be display models.  This saved us about 1/2 the cost.  The advantage to each picking out our own mattress is we each got the firmness we liked.  We did not have to compromise our personal preference for mattress.

I then built a head board and frame to our needs.  Tilted down at the foot end to help with acid re-flux and the head board and under bed are all shelves and storage.  Total cost for mattress, headboard, and frame was $1500 or so.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »

I've got a a Simmons Beautyrest and really like it.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »

Stearns & Foster for us.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »

Not going to comment on the "best" mattress because that's probably going to be different for everybody.

But when we got our last mattress, I made a mistake. I got one that's too tall. Now the sheets don't fit -- the sides of the sheets don't reach the bottom of the mattress. Finding sheets for tall mattresses isn't easy.

If you think mattresses are expensive, go shopping for bed linens. $20 for a stinkin' pillow case? Really?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »

Since you already have it narrowed down to pillow top you are probably already past what I learned when I bought my last mattress, but I will put it out there for others who may not know. What is most important is that it is matched to your sleeping style. I used to go by the old adage that firmest is best, but then learned that how you sleep matters. I sleep on my side, so somewhat softer is better for me. A good mattress sales person can actually be of value here.

I see you are from Boston so I am not sure how much it helps others on an internet forum but I will mention I got my last one from Rotmans in Worcester and we have been happy with it. Price was good and the salesman educated me on the point above, and I sleep much better now.

Thanks guys, we're all on the same page.

I'm partial to Serta mattresses like Dick (that doesn't sound right), but any of the good brands, Serta, Sealy, Sterns and Foster, etc. will do. I have a problem with Posture Pedic beds because I can't get out of them. I have a Rotman's account so that's where I'll be headed. Their prices are good, actually better than most, and it looks like I can get out of this for less than $4K, mattress and 5 piece bedroom suite.

Any specific choices at the link below????

http://www.rotmans.com/browsemattresses.aspx?LinkId=523

http://www.rotmans.com/item.aspx?itemid=588812626&itemnum=1133-Queen+Bed%2b050%2b065%2b040%2b070

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »

I've owned three of the Simmons Beautyrest mattresses.  The first one, nearly 30 years ago, was the best mattress I've ever owned.  I fell asleep fast and woke up feeling fully rested.

The next two Beautyrest mattresses, which I bought years later, weren't so good.  They felt great for about a year or so and then started sagging.  BTW, I don't weigh a lot.  Each lasted about four years before I had to replace them.

I bought a Serta mattress for my daughter about 7 or 8 years ago and it's held up very well and is quite comfortable.

I decided to jump on the memory foam bandwagon and bought a Serta because it felt softer than most other foam mattresses and it helped that it was discounted 75%.  I'm very pleased with it!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »

Bob, a great way to select a mattress around here is to go to a Jordan's and check out the sleep center. They have everyone's mattress on display and encourage you to lie on them and take all the time you want. Since everyone has their own preferences as to how firm or soft they like it, spending time on it is the only way IMHO.

You don't need to buy it there though their prices seem to be pretty good and they do deliver.

I did that last time I bought one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »

Yankee Mattresses are made in Agawam, MA.  We got one a year ago and have been very happy.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 10:31:07 PM »

Bob, a great way to select a mattress around here is to go to a Jordan's and check out the sleep center. They have everyone's mattress on display and encourage you to lie on them and take all the time you want. Since everyone has their own preferences as to how firm or soft they like it, spending time on it is the only way IMHO.

You don't need to buy it there though their prices seem to be pretty good and they do deliver.

I did that last time I bought one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I hate Jordan's Furniture. I wouldn't go there to piss on a mattress. Maybe Bernie and Phil's or Macy's. Where's the Bassman??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »

I hate Jordan's Furniture. I wouldn't go there to piss on a mattress. Maybe Bernie and Phil's or Macy's. Where's the Bassman??

Before you make a decision I think you should sleep on it...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.