ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Six cutting out while held  (Read 4112 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Line Six cutting out while held
« on: November 23, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »

We have 5 Line Six handhelds we have used on a regular basis for about 3 years.  This morning one mic (happens to be the newest-a warranty replacement) started cutting out on a soloist.  It is on channel 4, had fresh batteries showing  7+ hours remaining.  The LCD RF indicators for both channels showed 4 bars-the LEDs for RF were jumping all over the place-from full to nothing.  She picked up another mic and finished-the entire time the LEDs were indicating a problem.  When she finished she placed both mics in their holders and the indicators returned to "normal"-ie all LED bars lit.  The mic had been used a few minutes earlier by another group with no problems.  She was not carrying a smart phone and I can't find anything that changed other than she was holding the mic?
Steve Swaffer

Robert Lofgren

Re: Line Six cutting out while held
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »

If it was a replacement the mic could be in rf2-mode while your other mics were in rf1.

I had this problem when I upgraded the firmware on one mic without realizing it went to the wrong mode.

If you work all receivers on one pair of rubber antennas then you are on the edge of self-induced noise that will degrade their performance in lesser rf environments. This especially if you use the v75 instead of the v70.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:34:53 PM »

All mics are in the same mode-we have had the replacement for about 8 months used every service without an issue.  Used it again Sunday night without a problem-the only difference I can see was it worked fine on male vocalists, but gave fits on the female vocalist-though I don't seriously see that as an issue!
Steve Swaffer

Kent Thompson

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:50:48 PM »

Even for 2.4gh microphones the wireless landscape changes all the time. I have several of those type of microphones and usually about once every three months something happens that causes me to have to change channels. I would try changing it's frequency to see if that helps if it does the same thing regardless of what channel its on and the antenna connections to the receiver are ok then probably time to send it in.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »

Calling Boomer.....

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 07:30:29 PM »

I own a couple of these as well and really like them; when I am not in a place that has wireless repeaters and services. It's likely that you were getting spikes at that frequency, or it could be possible that you had the mic set to low power? I had to change to 5ghz. networking in order to use the L6 mics. If I used my 2.4ghz router I could not get any stability with the L6. I am in the market again for digital wireless.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »

Even for 2.4gh microphones the wireless landscape changes all the time.

I am aware of this and the "static" wireless situation I keep close tabs on-obviously what I cannot control is portable "hotspots" carried into the auditorium.  I have noticed the mics have a tendency to look good even when interference is present until someone tries to use them (installed a new router a few months ago that wiped out all of the mics until I shut off the 2.4g, but they looked fine until we actually tried to use them).  What was/is surprising and troubling is the short term nature of the drop out-that may also make it impossible to identify the cause.  The vocalist's daughter is on the mission field for a couple of months, so I considered that someone had Facetimed or Skyped  the solo for her-but that does not seem to be the case.  I also considered hat she was inadvertantly muting the mic, but that should not have affected the RF indicators.   
Steve Swaffer

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 01:26:24 AM »

You never said if you were using the v70 or v75.

Line6 only recommends a maximum of four v75 to be linked while six v70 is the maximum.

A common misstake when using mixed v70 and v75 is that you put a terminator on the last reciever. The v75 auto-terminates.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 02:04:11 AM »

If I used my 2.4ghz router I could not get any stability with the L6. I am in the market again for digital wireless.
I've only encountered this problem when the transmitters were working in rf2-mode. Rf1-mode usually takes out 2.4ghz-wifi instead.

I always run my wifi on 5ghz when using line6 wireless and either turn off 2.4ghz or make sure that I use channels 12 and 13 (those are legal in EC) where the line6 wireless doesn't operate.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 12:27:51 AM »

I think theses systems also benefit from using the a-la-carte antennae's they offer. It's been my experience that setting wireless up in the " IDEAL " fashion is usually not practical, at least with the stock equipment located in a rack. The only way to make it truly work more reliably is to have an RF amplification system that can place the antennae up in the air above heads.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 12:27:51 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.