ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo at every seat in the house from a single loudspeaker  (Read 5654 times)

Robert Lunceford

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
Re: Stereo at every seat in the house from a single loudspeaker
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:13:14 PM »

Looks interesting.  I find it fascinating that the demonstration video didn't display much separation (to my ears) until the very end, which sounded like a track that was direct and not coming out of the CPS speaker.
I think their market might be acoustic guitar players and small combos; but I'd have to hear the amp in a room I guess.
Colorado Springs, CO

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »

I got the feling that it was some kind of mid-side concept so the speaker was acting as one figure eights and one cardioid with an extra sub...?

Edit: Typing before thinking  :o
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:43:01 PM by Robert Lofgren »

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orMVe_TQ1SA

I don't get it.  He plays some stereo material into his single box device, monoing it I guess, then somehow gets a "stereo" signal through my laptop speakers, which is just what he says doesn't work...  OK, I can see that maybe "you have to be there" to get the effect.  So I put on my headphones, cue up the Michael Mc song in stereo on youtube, then A-B it with his cut of the same song, which sounds like phased out crap in comparison.  At least he wasn't trying to send the song direct from the original source. 

I guess you have to buy it to get the magic...

-Tim T

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »

Looks interesting.  I find it fascinating that the demonstration video didn't display much separation (to my ears) until the very end, which sounded like a track that was direct and not coming out of the CPS speaker.
I think their market might be acoustic guitar players and small combos; but I'd have to hear the amp in a room I guess.

Maybe???

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2538374/

Read the introduction. 
There are oodles of articles such as:

Monaural Sound Source Separation by Non-negative Matrix Factorization With Temporal Continuity and Sparseness Criteria, or: MSSSBNNMFWTCAPC.

On how large a scale can this be accomplished? What is the freq response of the "90 degree" side driver?

-Dennis
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:06:31 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »

I totally agree that this is the M/S speaker playback. 

http://tdt.usitt.org/GetPDF.aspx?PDF=35-1winter99-02authenticity

This is effective for stereo reproduction.  But will not work well to have a center stage ground stack to handle FOH. 

I feel this would work best on Keyboards, or electronic drum sets. 

It works well for small theaters as long as you can use the one speaker above the performance and fill the room. 

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 06:02:40 PM »

Back in the 1980s, there was a BBC TV programme called Tomorrow's World.  A science and technology programme - as you can probably guess from the title!

On one programme they had a panel with five loudspeaker drivers mounted. Centre, top, bottom, left and right.  They were playing sounds and asking people to point to where the sound was coming from. At the end of the test after people had identified sounds from all directions, they turned round the board to show that only one of the drivers was connected.

My vague recollection was that it was something to do with phase shifts and the way shape of the ear translated it.  Obviously that wouldn't work with a stereo pair of mics recording sound for a video.

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:07:55 PM by Steve M Smith »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »

I totally agree that this is the M/S speaker playback. 

If you look at the diagram you'll notice that like an MS microphone array the left and right signals are out of polarity with each other. In the speaker in the OP there is only 1 side speaker, so it cannot be out of polarity with itself. It seems to be trying to be the inverse of a mid/side microphone, but doesn't qualify.

In a mid side mic array, a figure 8 mic is placed with its null facing forward toward "center", with a cardioid mic facing forward to cover the null. To decode the recorded signal you add the 2 channels together for 1 channel, and you subtract one of the channels from the other for the second stereo channel.

Mac

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »

If you look at the diagram you'll notice that like an MS microphone array the left and right signals are out of polarity with each other. In the speaker in the OP there is only 1 side speaker, so it cannot be out of polarity with itself. It seems to be trying to be the inverse of a mid/side microphone, but doesn't qualify.

In a mid side mic array, a figure 8 mic is placed with its null facing forward toward "center", with a cardioid mic facing forward to cover the null. To decode the recorded signal you add the 2 channels together for 1 channel, and you subtract one of the channels from the other for the second stereo channel.

Mac

Yes they are using the side speaker as the figure eight and in the document I have provided is the sample where the two closed back speakers are used to be the figure eight.  They show them on Left and Right sides facing forward.  I have done this with smaller speakers in the house, I have placed them side by side in opposite directions with the mono facing forward,  and I have moved the Left and Right along the side walls facing in at the center with the mono from the front wall center.  I have not found it online at the moment but a university theater was working this in a theater and documented their system setup and results.     

I still feel that this works well but it will not be viable for the large FOH.   Nobody wants the large mono speaker in the center of the stage.  The side speakers on a large space will also become a problem with reverb and intelligibility.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orMVe_TQ1SA
Looks like the side loudspeaker is the difference channel.
This is what the orginal surround sound was.  Right channel signal minus the Left channel signal and the difference is put the rear surround speakers.
This difference channel is sent to the side loudspeaker in that box.
This is the way I understood his explanation.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.