ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: driverack 260  (Read 4652 times)

Bob Kidd

driverack 260
« on: November 23, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »

Replacing current drive rack with dbx 260. It has settings for 725s and 728s as well as qsc5050 but not pl380s on subs. Any suggestions on setting on pl380? Not able to run wizard due to venue hours until next week and have gigs before that. Thanks

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
Re: driverack 260
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »

It been more then a few years since I used a 260 but, if it has presets for the Crown Macrotech-5000i specs pretty close to the PL380.
Doug

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »

Replacing current drive rack with dbx 260. It has settings for 725s and 728s as well as qsc5050 but not pl380s on subs. Any suggestions on setting on pl380? Not able to run wizard due to venue hours until next week and have gigs before that. Thanks

There are only 2 specs that matter, maximum output, so you know you have enough power, and voltage gain. Of the 2 the one you adjust for is voltage gain. The RMX5050 has a gain of 36dB, the PL380 can be 29dB or 32dB. Set the PL380 for 32dB gain, and turn up the output of the dbx260 that feeds the pl380 by 4dB to get the same total gain.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »

There are only 2 specs that matter, maximum output, so you know you have enough power, and voltage gain. Of the 2 the one you adjust for is voltage gain. The RMX5050 has a gain of 36dB, the PL380 can be 29dB or 32dB. Set the PL380 for 32dB gain, and turn up the output of the dbx260 that feeds the pl380 by 4dB to get the same total gain.

Mac
I don't know the 260 well enough, but will make a "general statement".

The limiter (which is set using the gain of the amp) "should" be after any level controls (which would affect the limiter setting).

So turning up the gain will only affect the balance of the various cabinets-NOT setting the limiter where it should be.

If the gain is after the limiter-I feel it is pretty worthless, since any adjustments to balance the system will throw off the limiter settings.

Just something to consider.

I would adjust the limiter and the gain 4dB in this case to balance the system
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »

And why does he have to engage the limiter at all? I used a 360 for many years and Mac's correct with his statement. By using the proper settings the amp and cabinets are matched by the 260 and the result will be maximum output at 0db on the board as long as the gain structure is correct prior to the 260. In my book that should be a given fact prior to engaging the 260 processing.

The whole reason for a processor is to properly power the cabinets, and that means to power them within their specified limitations. If that were not the case there would be no presets within the 260 wizard for cabinets and amplifiers to begin with.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »

And why does he have to engage the limiter at all? I used a 360 for many years and Mac's correct with his statement. By using the proper settings the amp and cabinets are matched by the 260 and the result will be maximum output at 0db on the board as long as the gain structure is correct prior to the 260. In my book that should be a given fact prior to engaging the 260 processing.

I think Ivan's point is that my advice is only right if the output level of the processor is after everything. In that case increasing the output gain by 4dB makes it match the 5050 amp. However, if the limiter is after the output level control you also need to increase the level of the limiter threshold or it will begin to limit 4dB too soon. A quick look at the block diagram seems to indicate that the output level control is in fact after everything but the mute switch, so the only change needed is to change the output gain.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »

A quick look at the block diagram seems to indicate that the output level control is in fact after everything but the mute switch, so the only change needed is to change the output gain.

Mac
Which I find a bit disturbing.

Let's say you have a system and you need to increase the level of the subs to match the tops.

Now you have the ability to overdrive (deliver to much power) to the subs (which would have been protected if the level was not changed).

In my opinion it is to easy to throw off any attempt at protection provided by the preset.

However you could also make the same adjustment by turning back the tops to match the subs-but that would make that limiter kick in to early and not allow full output capability.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 08:39:30 PM »

I think Ivan's point is that my advice is only right if the output level of the processor is after everything. In that case increasing the output gain by 4dB makes it match the 5050 amp. However, if the limiter is after the output level control you also need to increase the level of the limiter threshold or it will begin to limit 4dB too soon. A quick look at the block diagram seems to indicate that the output level control is in fact after everything but the mute switch, so the only change needed is to change the output gain.

Mac

Agreed on all points, but the limiter is not turned on by default, at least not on the 260 I own, which is why I made the statement. If that's no longer true due to firmware updates or whatever, then my apology and I'll agree whole heartedly with Ivans statement.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 08:49:26 PM »

Agreed on all points, but the limiter is not turned on by default, at least not on the 260 I own, which is why I made the statement. If that's no longer true due to firmware updates or whatever, then my apology and I'll agree whole heartedly with Ivans statement.
So if there is no limiter turned on-why would even need to know the type of amp or the gain?

It would not matter.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »

So if there is no limiter turned on-why would even need to know the type of amp or the gain?

It would not matter.

I doesn't matter from a protection point of view, but it sure matters as far as spectral balance.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.