ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing in a sand box  (Read 9945 times)

Jim Rutherford

Playing in a sand box
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »

We will be playing regularly at an out door venue which has the stage next to a open area which is filled with sand.  The subs (jbl 4718) will be sitting on the sand.  Is there a risk of the speaker sucking in sand through the port?  If I build up a platform, how high off the ground should they be?  Thanks for the input.

Earl F Young

Re: Playing in a sand box
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:57:37 PM »

?got a layout or pic; simple plywood might (be of) help. maybe Bill-Jax with 6" legs
What is  regularly? and to what size audience/ venue size? and what are you planning on using as mains?

too many variables in OP to start answering fully

We will be playing regularly at an out door venue which has the stage next to a open area which is filled with sand.  The subs (jbl 4718) will be sitting on the sand.  Is there a risk of the speaker sucking in sand through the port?  If I build up a platform, how high off the ground should they be?  Thanks for the input.

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »

the worst is rodeo sand. It's a special blend mixed up just for rodeo arenas. Of course, all the animals leave their additions! It sticks to everything. I've done several events in rodeo arenas, and it takes forever to get all the sand out of the trailer.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »

The main concern is with sand getting sucked into the subs and then into the coil. 

We are expecting to play about once a month.  Typical crowd is about 300.  There is about 60' between the stage and the sitting area.  The sand box typically has kids running around.

Picture attached.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »

Working on loading photo; tapatalk isn't being friendly

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 12:15:13 AM »

Photo now attached

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:58:01 AM »

I would suggest elevating 3 or 4 inches to keep mud out when it rains. Maybe shipping pallets or even a custom built riser.

I would worry more about blown sand getting on to the miser faders.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »

I have plastic beer pallats that I use on every show, sand or not. When strapped, as in every show, the larger footprint give a ground stack more base area, giving the whole stack more stability. And the elevation keeps the dirt out.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 07:38:29 AM »

?got a layout or pic; simple plywood might (be of) help. maybe Bill-Jax with 6" legs
What is  regularly? and to what size audience/ venue size? and what are you planning on using as mains?

too many variables in OP to start answering fully

I'll save Dick the trouble:

What does audience/venue size or his mains have to do with the issue? He's sitting his subs on sand and is concerned whether it will be sucked into the ports.  Whether there's 5 people or 5000 in the audience or what speakers are on top is not going to have any bearing. Sometimes this "more info needed" thing is just ridiculous.

Rant over; carry on.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »

Getting the speakers higher would help your overall coverage and get them out of the sand/dirt.
With the stacks you have I would go no less than a foot, keep it solid a stable though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:54:23 PM by Mike Caldwell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 23 queries.