ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid-size digital console advice  (Read 9380 times)

Jose Rodriguez

Mid-size digital console advice
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »

Hi, all. I’ve been a lurker for some time. I’ve finally decided to ask all of the smart folks here for some advice. I've searched through some past posts but am looking for your current opinion.

I’m helping a friend of mine select a mid-size console for his performance space. We’ve discussed a few key characteristics that he’s hoping for: rider-friendly; relatively short new user learning curve; decent I/O capability; and good sound quality (obvious, right). He’s also concerned about end of life. He’s hoping for something that will be supported for some time. I could tell you the ones that we’ve discussed, but I’m really looking for some fresh opinions. So, what are your suggestions? Which consoles should we be looking at?

Thanks in advance for your help!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Mid-size digital console advice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »

Hi, all. I’ve been a lurker for some time. I’ve finally decided to ask all of the smart folks here for some advice. I've searched through some past posts but am looking for your current opinion.

I’m helping a friend of mine select a mid-size console for his performance space. We’ve discussed a few key characteristics that he’s hoping for: rider-friendly; relatively short new user learning curve; decent I/O capability; and good sound quality (obvious, right). He’s also concerned about end of life. He’s hoping for something that will be supported for some time. I could tell you the ones that we’ve discussed, but I’m really looking for some fresh opinions. So, what are your suggestions? Which consoles should we be looking at?

In these cases Price Point always drives the discussion.  Could you give us some idea of a Price Range that you are hoping to stay within?

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »

I think you will get better responses if you question had more detail. What price range are you looking in, what size venue, in other words rider friendly for what kind of act, on the way up/down or what? What do you consider decent I/O capabilities? Are you looking for one console to do house and monitors or are you looking for 2 consoles - house and monitors or maybe 3 - house monitors and broadcast. I feel that you are going to get much better reposes if you can give us a better starting point. And we have to assume that you have all of the other parts of the system. Do you have a snake system already or are you looking for a console or consoles with a digital snake?

“Friend for his performance space” how much money can he lose on this little venture? Is this an existing venue or something he wants to start from scratch? If I sound skeptical it is only because I am. Most ventures like this fail or never get off the ground because they don’t have enough money to get it up and running right in the first place and don’t realize that they need to throw a lot of money into it to keep it running for quite a while before it can make enough money to support itself, if it ever can. Now if your “friend” or you have more money they you know what to do with let’s have some fun.

Jose Rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:52:13 PM »

I think you will get better responses if you question had more detail. What price range are you looking in, what size venue, in other words rider friendly for what kind of act, on the way up/down or what? What do you consider decent I/O capabilities? Are you looking for one console to do house and monitors or are you looking for 2 consoles - house and monitors or maybe 3 - house monitors and broadcast. I feel that you are going to get much better reposes if you can give us a better starting point. And we have to assume that you have all of the other parts of the system. Do you have a snake system already or are you looking for a console or consoles with a digital snake?

“Friend for his performance space” how much money can he lose on this little venture? Is this an existing venue or something he wants to start from scratch? If I sound skeptical it is only because I am. Most ventures like this fail or never get off the ground because they don’t have enough money to get it up and running right in the first place and don’t realize that they need to throw a lot of money into it to keep it running for quite a while before it can make enough money to support itself, if it ever can. Now if your “friend” or you have more money they you know what to do with let’s have some fun.

Kevin, thanks a lot for the feedback.

It’s new construction, not an existing facility. The venue will be about 450 seats. That number includes a balcony. I’m talking to him about putting in the infrastructure to eventually support a separate console to do monitors, but it looks like he’ll want to start off with the just the one console to do both house and monitors for now. He’s budgeting for about $30,000 for the one console. Because it’s new construction, I’m tempted to put in the analog lines; but I’m pretty sure that he wants to go with a digital snake. And, yes, that’s a whole other discussion; but we can assume that it will be a digital snake. I can tell you that he and I have both used the M7 for some time and don’t mind it. And I’ve used the SC48 too recently. But I’ll admit that we’re not on top of what’s hot and current (hence this thread). So I appreciate any suggestions.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:00:10 PM by Jose Rodriguez »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »

Kevin, thanks a lot for the feedback.

It’s new construction, not an existing facility. The venue will be about 450 seats. That number includes a balcony. I’m talking to him about putting in the infrastructure to eventually support a separate console to do monitors, but it looks like he’ll want to start off with the just the one console to do both house and monitors for now. He’s budgeting for about $30,000 for the one console. Because it’s new construction, I’m tempted to put in the analog lines; but I’m pretty sure that he wants to go with a digital snake. And, yes, that’s a whole other discussion; but we can assume that it will be a digital snake. I can tell you that he and I have both used the M7 for some time and don’t mind it. And I’ve used the SC48 too recently. But I’ll admit that we’re not on top of what’s hot and current (hence this thread). So I appreciate any suggestions.

Uhh...so Yamaha CL5 and a pair of RIO3224Ds.  ;)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »

I would suggest you take a look at the CL5 from yamaha, as well as the Soundcraft Vi 3000. Both are in your price range and shouldn't have problems with riders

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:38:44 AM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »

Also check out Midas Pro2 and DL251.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 02:10:11 AM »

Also check out Midas Pro2 and DL251.

From what I'm hearing, with Midas's new pricing he could maybe get into a Pro3, depending on configuration.

MikeHarris

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »

I doubt he'll still have $30k by the time construction overages have chewed on the wallet.
As a dealer for all the above I would look at QL5+Rio3224...Midas Pro2/3+DL251..lets not count out the SC 48
These 3 should be closer to $$22 (except Pro 3) depending on options..each has their plusses...Midas for sonics..Yamaha for value..SC48 for friendliness.
The choice may be market or genre influenced as well.
Where will this be ? Is this a Jazz..Rock..Country oriented venue ?
Connectivity may also be a factor...some may be simpler to integrate..will you want an all digital output path..copper...no copper...hybrid on the input side?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:31:07 AM by MikeHarris »

Michael {Bink} Knowles

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »

The SC48 runs too hot for my taste, engineered too close to the bone. I agree that a Yamaha CL5 with two remote snake heads is the way to go. There's a good upgrade path if he ever decides to do a separate monitor mixer, and the system will be valuable in the reseller market for about ten years.

-Bink

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.