ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PFL monitor and talkback with ipad  (Read 15061 times)

Chris Ramsey

Re: PFL monitor and talkback with ipad
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 03:18:21 AM »

The "maybe I should build something" thought process yielded serious potential. I found & ordered a headset development kit from a major manufacturer that looks to potentially be the exploratory basis of a very glossy solution. Actually the chipset could be useful for a variety of scenarios if it lives up to the chip manufacturer claims. Up to 4 channels of audio available in 24/48K transmission, programmable in any i/o direction combination, using narrow band 2.4GHz transmission with a 4 bit packet leader (which in theory is a reasonably robust & fault tolerant architecture as I understand things). Integrated USB class compliant interface as well as line out and mic/line ins. Joyous experimentation soon to ensue, who knows, maybe I'll evolve the design into a product myself...

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »

The "maybe I should build something" thought process yielded serious potential. I found & ordered a headset development kit from a major manufacturer that looks to potentially be the exploratory basis of a very glossy solution. Actually the chipset could be useful for a variety of scenarios if it lives up to the chip manufacturer claims. Up to 4 channels of audio available in 24/48K transmission, programmable in any i/o direction combination, using narrow band 2.4GHz transmission with a 4 bit packet leader (which in theory is a reasonably robust & fault tolerant architecture as I understand things). Integrated USB class compliant interface as well as line out and mic/line ins. Joyous experimentation soon to ensue, who knows, maybe I'll evolve the design into a product myself...

Wishing you the best of luck Chris!  I've posted in several forums my interest in solving the remote soloing problem as a key part of my conversion to wireless mixing and have received the same advice everywhere -- use a high-quality IEM system.  Given the price at almost the same as a X32 Rack coupled with the pending auctioning off of presently used frequencies it's a rather daunting step for a hobbyist like myself.  I do fully agree that the first manufacturer that addresses this specific (and rapidly growing) market with a product that can piggyback on the already available 2.4/5GHZ will do very well.  Best of luck sir <wink>!

..dave
..db

Eric Vogel

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »

If fidelity can take a back seat to function, try out a RadioComm BTR-800 patched into your headless rackmount mixer.  Use whatever type headset you are comfortable with keeping in mind you'll be listening to a mono source and bandwidth limited to 300-8kish.  Too bad they don't make a more 'HiFi' version.
It would be interesting to FFT the audio input circuit thru the beltpack phones out to see what the FR actually is.

Replying to myself....looks like RAD has developed this...

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/radio_active_designs_now_shipping_new_uv-1g_wireless_intercom_system/

Beltpacks have 1/8 stereo inputs for patching in IEM receiver, along with programmable 'SA' functions could be used for talkback.

Likely not a cheap solution, but for mission critical high end production, this looks real good.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »

Replying to myself....looks like RAD has developed this...

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/radio_active_designs_now_shipping_new_uv-1g_wireless_intercom_system/

Beltpacks have 1/8 stereo inputs for patching in IEM receiver, along with programmable 'SA' functions could be used for talkback.

Likely not a cheap solution, but for mission critical high end production, this looks real good.

Using an RF comm system as a PFL system is a very expensive solution. Both the BTR 800 and RAD system are in the $10k range. I think you can find an better sounding stereo solution in the land of IEMs.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »

Using an RF comm system as a PFL system is a very expensive solution. Both the BTR 800 and RAD system are in the $10k range. I think you can find an better sounding stereo solution in the land of IEMs.

Yup.  and for a LOT less money...

The Sennheiser G2 IEM systems go for about 400 on eBay all the time.  Pretty rock solid solution.  I should think for talkback just about any cheapie 'Aerobics Instructor' wireless headset system would work fine.  Or fine enough.  Those can be had for a hundred bucks or less.  Looking at older VHF systems is a great place to get wide open spectrum and cheap wireless at the same time...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Eric Vogel

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 11:55:22 PM »

Agreed on all three points...we own several BTR's and of course I'm not suggesting buying these units just as a wireless cue rig.
Perhaps not addressing the OP's need or budget, if I had to wear comms, and listen to a cue or PFL bus, as well as talk to other comm operators or people on stage; then that RAD rig looks very attractive.
This is PROsoundweb, right?

Chris Ramsey

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 05:14:54 AM »

Got my evaluation kit for the chipset I think holds promise. Out of the box it almost does the trick. I'll need to redesign to incorporate an additional amplifier stage for the phones as the chipset amp is not loud enough for my world. And it will take some RF gainstage tweaking as well. But I am confident I can solve my own problem myself & if it proves too easy I may well make a product for others...not pretending I'll become a major manufacturer, but dammit someone has to make a solution if for no other reason than the problem exists.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »

Got my evaluation kit for the chipset I think holds promise. Out of the box it almost does the trick. I'll need to redesign to incorporate an additional amplifier stage for the phones as the chipset amp is not loud enough for my world. And it will take some RF gainstage tweaking as well. But I am confident I can solve my own problem myself & if it proves too easy I may well make a product for others...not pretending I'll become a major manufacturer, but dammit someone has to make a solution if for no other reason than the problem exists.
Link to kit?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Simon Hutson

Chris Ramsey

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »

That is the dev kit I got. Out of the box it has a range that is almost identical to my home wifi. I felt the output to phones a bit low, so I'll couple it with a tiny amp. With a bit of tweaking it seems like it will totally fit the bill for the parks. I just need to finish optimizing a few things for a final design with an external antenna to allow the unit to be mounted in their rack & I'll build a couple for their use. Nice holiday slow season project.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.