ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft MADI / USB card  (Read 43520 times)

Michael Grimaila

Re: Soundcraft MADI / USB card
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 10:31:21 PM »

I started with the Steinberg product many years ago when PT was not available as a stand alone product. It's treated me very well through the years, has worked in all cases, and supports almost any type of hardware. I'm currently using firewire interfaces, so I'll compare the latency between those and the USB interface and let you know what I find.

You guys should look at Reaper as a low cost alternative.  I was using Sonar, but switched to Reaper and have not looked back.
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3
2 x Yamaha DSR115 / 2 x QSC KW 118

Jim Neighbors

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »

. I'm currently using firewire interfaces, so I'll compare the latency between those and the USB interface and let you know what I find.

Bob,  I own an Expression 2 and am anxiously awaiting your results.  I too have been using a Studiolive mixer and firewire for recording.  I hope this works out well for using my Expression and usb so I can sell the Studiolive and use the Soundcraft for live and recording.   I use Studio One so I expect the results should be similar to what you will be testing.

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 06:57:51 PM »

No, I was replying with what had first been published by Soundcraft, i.e. 16 of each or 32 of one. So if that's changed then it's a bonus for us all. At $299 to extend the capabilities of this already great mixer is a bargain.

The MADI stream is 64 in / 64 out.  However, the card is configured initially for 32 in / 32 out via MADI and 32 in / 32 out via USB. However it is configurable.  You can also do 64 in / 32 out MADI with 0 in / 32 out via USB for example, with a VI 6 Stage box (check the manual on the website for dip switch settings). I am just using the USB for recording while using the MSB.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:06:14 PM by Michael Grimaila »
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »

The MADI stream is 64 in / 64 out.  However, the card is configured initially for 32 in / 32 out via MADI and 32 in / 32 out via USB. However it is configurable.  You can also do 64 in / 32 out MADI with 0 in / 32 out via USB for example, with a VI 6 Stage box (check the manual on the website for dip switch settings). I am just using the USB for recording while using the MSB.
I'm curious about the set-up on the card.
I just installed it into my Expression 2 and connected it to the MSB 32. That part of it seems to work fine (although I only checked a few channels).
What is confusing me is the USB inputs from the console  to the DAW (Cubase LE on a MacBook Air).
The way Soundcraft shows the default dip switch settings in the manual (1/off, 2/on, 3/off, 4/on), they show that you can make a direct output patch from Channel 1 on the console, to USB out 1. The problem is I'm seeing USB 33-64 only, not 1-32 like they show in the manual. I checked the dip switch settings, and they are set at default.
What I really want is 32-inputs going from the MSB to the console, and those same 32 inputs pointed to the DAW.
Am I missing something?

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »

I'm curious about the set-up on the card.
I just installed it into my Expression 2 and connected it to the MSB 32. That part of it seems to work fine (although I only checked a few channels).
What is confusing me is the USB inputs from the console  to the DAW (Cubase LE on a MacBook Air).
The way Soundcraft shows the default dip switch settings in the manual (1/off, 2/on, 3/off, 4/on), they show that you can make a direct output patch from Channel 1 on the console, to USB out 1. The problem is I'm seeing USB 33-64 only, not 1-32 like they show in the manual. I checked the dip switch settings, and they are set at default.
What I really want is 32-inputs going from the MSB to the console, and those same 32 inputs pointed to the DAW.
Am I missing something?
Rob,
The board has to reference the expansion card I/Os with indexes 1-64. By default, the stage box is 1-32 and the USB is 33-64 as you pointed out. So, if your fader 1 input is coming from MADI channel 1 from the stage box, you can set the direct out from fader 1 to USB 33. From your DAW, this will appear as USB channel 1. So yes, you can use all 32 stage box inputs and direct send them all to USB 33-64. Your DAW will then see all 32 channels from the stage box as channels 1-32.
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 10:28:01 PM »

Rob,
The board has to reference the expansion card I/Os with indexes 1-64. By default, the stage box is 1-32 and the USB is 33-64 as you pointed out. So, if your fader 1 input is coming from MADI channel 1 from the stage box, you can set the direct out from fader 1 to USB 33. From your DAW, this will appear as USB channel 1. So yes, you can use all 32 stage box inputs and direct send them all to USB 33-64. Your DAW will then see all 32 channels from the stage box as channels 1-32.
Ah, I get it, thanks for the clarification.
What confused me is the image they show in the manual, which is not what I see on my board. As long as I can get the DAW to recognize the inputs, I'm good.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »

Mine arrived this afternoon and I have not installed it yet. All I got was a brown box with the card inside. No manual, nothing else. Shouldn't have to download the manual IMO.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »

Shouldn't have to download the manual IMO.
Welcome to the new world.  It seems most products I purchase these days are shipped sans manual, but they are easily available on-line.  Of course, the new SOP is to routinely check manufacturer sites for manual updates.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »

Welcome to the new world.  It seems most products I purchase these days are shipped sans manual, but they are easily available on-line.  Of course, the new SOP is to routinely check manufacturer sites for manual updates.

True dat.....

I realize that products often update their manuals and it would be cheaper to just provide electronic downloads, but I miss the days of a version 1.0 owners manual that I could carry with me and read as I had time.  Printing it is a pain.... I would like hardcopy to study!
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:39 PM »

You download the manual to your ipad and read it while you remote mix. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.