ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sax mic when you don't have what you want  (Read 8822 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Sax mic when you don't have what you want
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »

Some sax players like to "work the mic" and refuse a clip mounted mic on the bell.   Be prepared to use whatever the musician prefers.

I had a "pro" sax player fronting a big band get testy about my using a KSM32 for him.  He finally agreed to use it instead of a 58, but when I got back to the board for the first number I couldn't get the sax to come out, soloed it and got ambient sound with a faint band in the background.

You guessed it.   He had changed the orientation of the mic from standing up to pointing down and was playing into the null.  Those mics have amazing rejection at 180 degrees.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »

All I have to say is Branford Marsallis was a sm58 on a straight stand.  Reiterated several times on advances.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »

All I have to say is Branford Marsallis was a sm58 on a straight stand.  Reiterated several times on advances.

Yeah.  And he'd sound a lot better with the 32.

If you go to YouTube and watch any of the dozens and dozens of Marsalis videos you'll find 414's, Neumanns, 421's and such.  I didn't notice any 58's...except when there's one of them on a straight stand set up for his talk mic.

He's playing into condensers or LDD's.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:44:28 PM by dick rees »

Guy Luckert

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 08:09:51 AM »

Some sax players like to "work the mic" and refuse a clip mounted mic on the bell.   Be prepared to use whatever the musician prefers.

This

Robert Patch

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »

I had a "pro" sax player fronting a big band get testy about my using a KSM32 for him.  He finally agreed to use it instead of a 58, but when I got back to the board for the first number I couldn't get the sax to come out, soloed it and got ambient sound with a faint band in the background.

You guessed it.   He had changed the orientation of the mic from standing up to pointing down and was playing into the null.  Those mics have amazing rejection at 180 degrees.

Yes, KSM32 on reeds.  Great sound and great rejection.  Never a problem in the monitors.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »

Yes, KSM32 on reeds.  Great sound and great rejection.  Never a problem in the monitors.

KSM32 on ANYTHING...

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 03:09:08 AM »

Lapel sounds like a bad idea . . . too easy too pick up stage bleed wireless packs can compress quite heavily which can play havoc with your GBF.

I like the Pro35 as a clip on. Shure beta98 is good too but to my ear not quite as good as the Pro35.

I’ve had good results from a Beta57, which get you close to a ‘condenser type’ of clarity. And for the opposite, a darker jazz tone, the Sennheiser 421 is wonderful

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 03:14:13 AM »

Lapel sounds like a bad idea . . . too easy too pick up stage and bleed wireless packs can compress quite heavily which can play havoc with your GBF.

I like the Pro35 as a clip on. Shure beta98 is good too but to my ear not quite as good as the Pro35.

I’ve had good results from a Beta57, which get you close to a ‘condenser type’ of clarity. And for the opposite, a darker jazz tone, the Sennheiser 421 is wonderful.

If you’re really stuck - SM58. A great player will still make it sound fantastic.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 06:49:04 AM »

Being a professional sax player for many years, in a jazz quartet situation I always prefer a stand-mounted-mic over a clip on.  It is so much easier to play "off the mic" during quiet passages and the "eat the mic" while soloing...  My favorite mic is a Senn 421 and I have also used an SM57 with good results.

Jazz groups usually like to sound acoustic so wiring them all up may not be the best way to go.

The last time I heard the Boston Jazz Pops group my sax teacher from college was playing with them: Mike Monagan  He played tenor sax, clarinet, and flute on the gig.  If the sax player plays flute you may want to have a windscreen for whatever mic you use.

Mike M

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »

Yeah.  And he'd sound a lot better with the 32.

If you go to YouTube and watch any of the dozens and dozens of Marsalis videos you'll find 414's, Neumanns, 421's and such.  I didn't notice any 58's...except when there's one of them on a straight stand set up for his talk mic.

He's playing into condensers or LDD's.
Granted it was an unusually informal event, a multi-day fundraiser with Branford, among others playing each night.  I did misspeak, the request was for a SM58 on a stand (no mention of straight).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.