ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New YAMAHA console announced!  (Read 52632 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: New YAMAHA console announced! A further tease
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »

We've been waiting a long time for this, I hope it lives up to our expectations.

Mac

It doesn't provide too much new info, but Yamaha have started to put up more videos embedded in the original PM10 page. The description of how expansion can be accomplished is counter to what has been said so far.

LINK

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: New YAMAHA console announced!
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2014, 05:23:27 PM »

I just see the original video, the rest show "coming soon". Do you have a direct link to the new videos?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »

I just see the original video, the rest show "coming soon". Do you have a direct link to the new videos?

The first one is with Andy Cooper, is that the one you see, or are you only seeing the original concept video? I get the andy Cooper intro and 4 "coming soon" boxes.

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »

Never mind... I thought the small thumbnail was the same concept video. I see the Andy Cooper video.
Sorry 'bout that.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: New YAMAHA console announced! A further tease
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »

The description of how expansion can be accomplished is counter to what has been said so far.

LINK

What is counter to what we have heard thus far?

Seeing someone standing in front of it, it's a little bigger than I had imagined it.

Also, do the mic preamp operate at 32-bit floating point? Would this be the first set of real world mic pres to operate at 32-bit floating point?

Also interesting to note that Audinate just today released an update to Dante Virtual Soundcard which includes 32 bit audio.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:56:30 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2015, 08:57:04 AM »

The first one is with Andy Cooper, is that the one you see, or are you only seeing the original concept video? I get the andy Cooper intro and 4 "coming soon" boxes.

Mac

The second video is up. It talks a bit about the new mic pre and the Neve Silk processing.

LINK

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »

The second video is up. It talks a bit about the new mic pre and the Neve Silk processing.

LINK
They seem to be pushing this Neve emulation pretty hard. So, I guess you can have three different tonal qualities to each input on the console, Silk Red, Silk Blue, or just the Yamaha preamp.

What do you guys think about that? Is that a killer feature? or just more marketing hype? Obviously, until we can get some demo units out in the real world for people to test on their own and actually hear what's being done to the sound with the diffeent settings, it IS all just marketing hype.

Every time I talk to my Yamaha rep, the Neve Silk is about all he can talk about, when I'm more interested in the networking, automation, user interface etc... And while it certainly has my attention, the Neve Silk emulation isn't the make or break feature for me. I would much rather see them put the effort and development dollars into building in an easy A-B back up mic swap out feature (maybe using a macro) that I can use to easily change out a bad mic channel on a lead actor during the middle of the show.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2015, 01:13:51 AM »

Since it's DSP, will we be able to put the direct out point pre-silk?

Josh Voyles

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2015, 07:34:28 AM »

They seem to be pushing this Neve emulation pretty hard. So, I guess you can have three different tonal qualities to each input on the console, Silk Red, Silk Blue, or just the Yamaha preamp.

What do you guys think about that? Is that a killer feature? or just more marketing hype? Obviously, until we can get some demo units out in the real world for people to test on their own and actually hear what's being done to the sound with the diffeent settings, it IS all just marketing hype.

Every time I talk to my Yamaha rep, the Neve Silk is about all he can talk about, when I'm more interested in the networking, automation, user interface etc... And while it certainly has my attention, the Neve Silk emulation isn't the make or break feature for me. I would much rather see them put the effort and development dollars into building in an easy A-B back up mic swap out feature (maybe using a macro) that I can use to easily change out a bad mic channel on a lead actor during the middle of the show.

Seems gimmicky. I'm usually not looking to color things up in live sound. I like to hear things clearly and precisely.

Most of that stuff you can't even really hear though a loudspeaker in a room anyway.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »

I use a Neve 5012 preamp with the Silk analog circuitry in my studio,  $2000 for 2 channels.  Engaging Silk is a lot more subtle than ANY microphone change, probably more similar to moving a mic an inch or two.  It's not my favorite preamp.  It's a good deal being free in the desk, particularly if you work with the same band all the time and are refining the sound over many engagements, but I wouldn't weight it very high as a console selection criteria.  I used to be more of a supporter for this kind of voodoo but doing live sound has cured me.  For a recording desk it could be a useful addition, less important to me for live work.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.