ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New YAMAHA console announced!  (Read 52630 times)

MikeHarris

Re: New YAMAHA console announced!
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2014, 06:07:20 PM »

For those of you still drinking the "higher samplerate sounds better" koolaid

Doesn't matter if you can hear it or not...the market has decided at this price point it is a necessary feature. The reduced latency is a bonus

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »

For those of you still drinking the "higher samplerate sounds better" koolaid

I like his comment that it will sound different and that difference may be attractive for whatever reason.  Claims of sonic superiority are subjective and certainly in the ear of the beholder.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2014, 09:56:10 PM »

I don't care about the sample rate, but I want 96 in, 48 mixes, and more than 4 bands of parametric EQ on the outputs.  Maybe if the Rivage surface could be made to control RIO head amps...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:05:43 AM by Craig Montgomery »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »

I don't care about the sample rate, but I want 96 in, 48 mixes, and more than 4 bands of parametric EQ on the outputs.  Maybe if the Rivage surface could me made to control RIO head amps...

That's only a little more than a CL5, 88 in, 32 mixes (if you use the matrixes), 4 band eq (you can insert a 7 band), under $40,000. You can get 5 of them for a PM10. I expect in a few years we will be seeing a PM5D replacement with similar specs to your 96/48 for around the same price as a PM5D.

The PM5D is now 10 years old, which is the point where Yamaha stopped producing the PM1D, I expect it hasn't got much life left. In many ways (not all) the CL5 is a more powerful better console than a PM5D, but I think the PM5D replacement will fill that gap between $40k and $200k.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2014, 10:25:58 PM »

At the same time, right now, for under $15K, I could buy a used PM5D (a bit more if I want an -RH version) -- presuming I can maintain it, that's the next 5 years for me, and other small to medium sized regionals.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2014, 11:59:21 PM »

At the same time, right now, for under $15K, I could buy a used PM5D (a bit more if I want an -RH version) -- presuming I can maintain it, that's the next 5 years for me, and other small to medium sized regionals.

I wouldn't consider purchasing a non -RH an "option"

-Dave "you know thats not the real gain knob" Sturzenbecher
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2014, 12:03:52 AM »

but I think the PM5D replacement will fill that gap between $40k and $200k.

I think you are spot on with this one Mac. And that's what my Yamaha guy indicated, though he obviously wouldn't say anything more than that.

If the PM10 and the TWINLan network will run 400 channels at up to 96k, then it conceivable should be able to run 800 at 48k? Yamaha hasn't indicated if the PM10 will be able to address more than 144 channels when running at 48k though, so it may be a moot point. (Maybe there's a PM15 in the works that will address 256 or even 384 channels?  :o  )
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Next YAMAHA console not announced!
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »

I think you are spot on with this one Mac. And that's what my Yamaha guy indicated, though he obviously wouldn't say anything more than that.

If the PM10 and the TWINLan network will run 400 channels at up to 96k, then it conceivable should be able to run 800 at 48k? Yamaha hasn't indicated if the PM10 will be able to address more than 144 channels when running at 48k though, so it may be a moot point. (Maybe there's a PM15 in the works that will address 256 or even 384 channels?  :o  )

I think the 144ch limit is based on 144 input faders in 6 banks of 24. In my fantasy world it would be swell if they later introduce a sidecar that is either a 12ch fader bank, or a 24ch fader bank that could be added to an existing PM10 system. I think the TwinLANe hardware is probably based on 10Gbase-SR because of the 300m MM fiber spec, and if true, it seems a 10G network should be able to support more channels. It may be the hardware loop through each device that causes the limit. Even at 400ch on the network, there is room for a lot of expansion of the console's capabilities.

Hopefully as time moves on we will get more details of how it works. Is the 144ch limit based on number of faders? If so, are there stereo faders? 5.1 faders? DCA spill? Can inputs be mixed to matrixes effectively increasing the mixes to 108? Interesting times...

On the subject of hopes for a future PM5D replacement, I think a reduced function set PM10 form factor is in the cards. It is a basic design that now exists in 2 console lines, and a version where all the multiple of 12 output functions become multiples of 8 so you get 48 mixes and 24 matrixes, and maybe 96-128 input channels. Lose TwinLANe and stick with the 128ch Dante card so you can use Rio boxes for I/O. You lose the Neve input controls by not using the PM10 mic pres but gain compatibility with the rest of the line. You end up with downward compatibility in hardware with the CL series, and upward compatibility with PM10 in user interface. To make the difference more easily discernible make the wrist rest padded pleather instead of wood.

First contact with a PM10 can't come soon enough for me.

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2014, 12:28:53 PM »

Anyone see anything about automation? (i.e. timecode parameter changes, fades, etc.)
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »

Anyone see anything about automation? (i.e. timecode parameter changes, fades, etc.)

The back of the DSP has a TC input, don't know whether it can chase, or just fire scenes. I assume the scene automation will be similar to existing consoles, although I hope the PM1D ability to attach MIDI (or other external interfaces) to a scene returns.

I think a lot of this kind of thing is not finished yet which is why they are indicating a mid 2015 availability.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 25 queries.