ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the process to "ring out" a venue location?  (Read 24394 times)

Patrick Bouldin

• Quibble Brothers
Re: What is the process to "ring out" a venue location?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 08:38:34 PM »

But you DO have the idiotosphere to worry about: talent moving microphones and speakers, thus changing the feedback frequencies, audience spilling beer in your console, groupies standing in front of the stacks blocking propagation to large portions of the venue... all predictably unpredictable.
Too funny, yes I see that, lol. In all seriousness, in OUR case I'm up there with them, and since I'm setting up the Personal mixers and in-ears, and others the iPads, pretty much nobody is moving a thing or they get their hand cut off! So far so good.  Now the beer.... that's a different matter :)

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »

It would be really nice and a game changer if we could create a force field like Sci Fi movies and wrap our speakers and gear in the protective field.  Only allowing approved personal with the correct RFID tag attached.   

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »

Hi, in my next conquest of putting on a better show I'd like to use EQ to kill off feedback in advance. I searched for this term and saw some comments but is there a published methodology/process somewhere?

We are acoustic music, shows are typically 50 to 200 - a couple of speakers, mostly indoors. Here are some more specific questions. First, where possible I'd prefer to run stereo - and I've seen some discussion on that but to me going from mono to stereo is light taking off a straight jacket to my ears, it's an incredible positive effect to me personally. So, doesn't that mean I need two EQ units, one for each channel, and placed between the mixer and the amp? One more thing, we normally run personal mixer monitors with ear phones, no monitor speakers, so less feedback to start with.

Then, for indoor, how does one go about setting the EQ to deal with feedback, i.e. "ringing out the room". Sorry if my vernacular is wrong.

Thanks everyone,
Patrick
http://www.QuibbleBrothers.com

Patrick - with your band being on headphones/in-ears, where is the feedback coming from? Not the monitors - is it from the acoustic instruments? For acoustic guitar, I always use a Feedback stopper - goes into the sound hole and lets me still get a good acoustic sound through the DI. If you have a sound hole mic, there may be ways around it.

If you can let us know what feedback you're trying to prevent ahead of time, you may get even better answers.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 03:35:07 PM »

Is your mouth stereo?  Is an orchestra "stereo"?  I'd say no, it's an ensemble of MONO sources.

Don't obsess over stereo and do some searching in these forums (not the stupid places like gearslutz) to understand why, in live sound, panning inputs all over the place is not your friend.
well said ! +1

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »

Patrick - with your band being on headphones/in-ears, where is the feedback coming from? Not the monitors - is it from the acoustic instruments?
Perhaps he's placing the mains behind the mics?  If so, the first step to this process would be to get the FOH speakers in front of the band.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »

Patrick...

If you're still looking to ring out your system to a room, my offer of the PDF tutorial stands.  All I need is an E-mail address.  Still waiting for yours to go along with the 3 other requests your thread has generated.

Edit:

It would help to know the brand and model of your mixer.  As to EQ, a decent GEQ will allow you to apply the method, but having PEQ to fine-tune with narrower filters after that is always preferable.  You can then use your graphic for any overall tonal adjustments as it is intended to do.  My EQ rack for this for years (before going digital) has been  Klark DN360b and a Klark DN410.

Works really well.

Hey Dick - could I get a copy of that PDF? I'll PM you my email address.

Regards,

Bob

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »

Hey Dick - could I get a copy of that PDF? I'll PM you my email address.

Regards,

Bob

Sure thing.  I'm doing an update on it due to the amount of interest...[snark]with the exception of the OP who seems to have retreated from his original request for ring-out help into a defense of stereo mixed from the stage.  How kind of him to come around to correct all of us full-timers in this regard. [/snark]
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:31 PM »

Sure thing.  I'm doing an update on it due to the amount of interest...[snark]with the exception of the OP who seems to have retreated from his original request for ring-out help into a defense of stereo mixed from the stage.  How kind of him to come around to correct all of us full-timers in this regard. [/snark]

Dick,

If you want, I'd be happy to upload that pdf to my web server so you could just post a link here to it.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Patrick Bouldin

• Quibble Brothers
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 03:11:37 PM »

Patrick - with your band being on headphones/in-ears, where is the feedback coming from? Not the monitors - is it from the acoustic instruments? For acoustic guitar, I always use a Feedback stopper - goes into the sound hole and lets me still get a good acoustic sound through the DI. If you have a sound hole mic, there may be ways around it.

If you can let us know what feedback you're trying to prevent ahead of time, you may get even better answers.
Hi Ned, yes the feedback is with the mics interacting with the mains, in front of the band.
Thanks.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 03:16:39 PM »

Dick,

If you want, I'd be happy to upload that pdf to my web server so you could just post a link here to it.

Thanks.  Since there are a few variations according to the particular situation I like to be able to customize it a bit so for now as a work in progress I'll send it out personally.  When the major tweaks are done it would be handy, though, so I'll keep your offer on the table.

DR
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 03:16:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.