ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transmit audio/video for long distance - 300+ feet  (Read 5987 times)

Bill Beach

transmit audio/video for long distance - 300+ feet
« on: November 14, 2014, 10:19:10 PM »

we have in the past used a coaxial feed from our video mixer to another building for overflow seating for really large meetings.  the video is nominally acceptable but the sound always has a buzz in it.
we are looking to upgrade to a better method with higher quality.
can someone give some ideas for transmission of A/V over around 300 feet?  equipment and cabling?  and/or??
the mixer has composite and component outputs and analog audio.  we do have Cat5 in place in addition to the coaxial cable.
thank you

John Rutirasiri

Re: transmit audio/video for long distance - 300+ feet
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:25:35 AM »

At those distances, I would not be doing analog video, and definitely not unbalanced audio.

If you only have component outs to work with, it is possible to convert to SDI and run over the existing coax.  More cost effective (since you mention there are cat5 in place) would be to convert component to HDMI and run over two cat5 wires using HDMI over CAT5 extenders.  Component to HDMI converters range in price from $40 (Monoprice) to $800 (DVDO iScan Duo) to thousands of dollars for broadcast equipment. 

For HDMI over CAT5 extenders, I recommend Gefen, but any reputable brand (e.g. Monoprice) should work fine.

As for audio, at minimum, run the unbalanced audio output into a DI box (active preferred if you will not be feeding a mixer downstream) and send the audio feed as balanced lines over the cat5. You only need a pair out of the 4 on a particular cat5 cable for balanced audio.  300ft of balanced analog audio over cat5e is routinely done (I do it) without noise or hum.

-JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 01:29:41 AM »

You can also use one of these instead of a DI box:

http://www.aphex.com/products/124b/

I've been using the 124a (discontinued) for years.  Works great.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 01:29:41 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.