ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FX processors, necessary?  (Read 4990 times)

Ryan Bouma

FX processors, necessary?
« on: November 10, 2014, 06:19:59 PM »

Hey all,

Our setup has an FX in the rack, and I never use it. Neither do any of the other techs. Thinking of selling it. It's a lot like this unit: http://www.lexiconpro.com/en/products/mx200

Am I missing out by not using it, am I crazy? Or is this type of thing really not that useful. I feel like we have bigger fish to fry and could maybe sell this an buy a mic or something. Thoughts? I'm not expecting responses directed at our situation, more what use does an FX have. Thanks.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: FX processors, necessary?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:44:53 PM »

Hey all,

Our setup has an FX in the rack, and I never use it. Neither do any of the other techs. Thinking of selling it. It's a lot like this unit: http://www.lexiconpro.com/en/products/mx200

Am I missing out by not using it, am I crazy? Or is this type of thing really not that useful. I feel like we have bigger fish to fry and could maybe sell this an buy a mic or something. Thoughts? I'm not expecting responses directed at our situation, more what use does an FX have. Thanks.

There's a thread going right now in the LAB Lounge about using reverb/delay, and that might be a good place to start reading about it. Having some basic fx is never a bad thing. Just depends on how you want the sound to be shaped.

Something to consider: new, the MX200 is only $200. Used, you'd be lucky to get half of it. If I was in your shoes, given the low resale value I would probably just keep it, since it would be nice to know it's available should I want it in the future.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »

I always use a bit or reverb and delay if it's available.  Using the right amount can make the sound fuller and more professional.  I was amazed at how much better things sounded the first time I used them.  Using too much sounds worse than not using any effects at all though. 

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:49:50 PM »

Hey all,

I may not get used because that unit is pretty much bottom of the barrel effects unit.

Ron Balsom

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:11:18 AM »

Greetings Ryan, Most small to medium installs would use a 'simple' reverb on the vocals only.  Just to make a simple 'comment' back to you.  Unless your in a very large room, I would just have a small amount available say, in the 'sub-group' that has your vocals 'subbed' into. Perhaps grouping your 'lead' vocal as well in there.  however, be sure to 'pull-back' on that effects when the song is over so any 'speaking' parts are normal.  Latter on you can also experiment  with a bit of 'delay' with the reverb, however don't rush into that if your just starting out with the sound system.  If Instruments ask for any effects, my advice is to ask your 'worship leader' and refer the question to that person. There are several posts in here to help you on how to hook-up the 'effects'. If you need more advise on that, come back here and ask further.  Ron B.  Casper, Wyoming    sing out by not using it, am I crazy? Or is this type of thing really not that useful. I feel like we have bigger fish to fry and could maybe sell this an buy a mic or something. Thoughts? I'm not expecting responses directed at our situation, more what use does an FX have. Thanks.
[/quote]

Ryan Bouma

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 11:19:04 AM »

Thanks everyone, I'll perhaps try to employ it some more rather than ditching it. Right now it's run through one of four available compressors. I'm not sure what the point of that would be, so I think I'll re-wire it to free up that gate/compressor at least.

There's a thread going right now in the LAB Lounge about using reverb/delay, and that might be a good place to start reading about it.

Thanks, I'll look for that thread.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:02:57 PM »

Thanks everyone, I'll perhaps try to employ it some more rather than ditching it. Right now it's run through one of four available compressors. I'm not sure what the point of that would be, so I think I'll re-wire it to free up that gate/compressor at least.

Thanks, I'll look for that thread.

I would definitely disconnect it from the comp/gate. I'm not sure why it would have been connected that way.

I use similar processor(TC m300) regularly; I have mine setup where one side of the processor gets input from aux 1 and the other side from aux 2. The outputs are summed in the processor and output into a single stereo input back into the mixer. I Think this would probably be the best option for setting yours up as it lets you control the input level for the reverb and delay separately(assuming those are the effects you wish to use). Here's how you would set it up according to the manual:

Set the knobs as shown and patch to the mixer as shown

Set the routing to number "4"

Not sure if any of this helps or is relevant, but I thought I'd try to help a bit. Effects can definitely make things sound better if you use them correctly.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 10:31:06 PM »

I kind of like using reverb on a choir especially if its small. It might also be capable of doubling which might also help a small choir. There are probably several things it is capable of that may or may not help you. Best to just try it out and see if you can make it useful. After all it's not costing you anything.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »

I kind of like using reverb on a choir especially if its small. It might also be capable of doubling which might also help a small choir. There are probably several things it is capable of that may or may not help you. Best to just try it out and see if you can make it useful. After all it's not costing you anything.
A bit late here, but here's an example of a small choir made bigger with the help of some reverb: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1n7rfwjvpehp3hy/20141215_181135.mp4?dl=0  Not sure if it really comes through in the video I made on my phone, though.

This is the choir started by my worship leader at the public school where he teaches English.  This was their first concert.  I was reminded of this thread when dialing in the reverb on the 8 person choir. If you're wondering about the 3 sets of speakers in the video, the ones used are the Klipsch KP-201s on the stage floor - our mains from the church.  The installed speakers either don't work and/or no one knows how to use the installed system(s).  School has no drama program either, so the auditorium is a bit neglected.  A real shame, as it's such a nice space. 

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:26:34 AM »

I would definitely disconnect it from the comp/gate. I'm not sure why it would have been connected that way.
Depending on the processing order I can at least think of two cases.

Reverb-->gate: A gated reverb for the drums.

Gate-->reverb: When you gate toms/snare you'll miss the tail. By putting the reverb after the gate it will produce an natural decay instead of just chopping it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:26:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.