ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Surge protector incompatible with GFCI? Really?  (Read 15464 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Surge protector incompatible with GFCI? Really?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »

Name the brand here.  Explain to them that while that may be the case, and while their product may meet UL spec, it does not meet your needs since you need one that is compatible with GFCIs.  You won't be buying any more and you will  make  your colleagues in the industry aware of the unsuitability of their product for use in this industry.

The NEC and UL specs are MINIMUM standards-they do not necessarily indicate a quality product. IMO, it is not slamming a  brand/product to give an honest, fair assessment of its suitability for use-and if their warranty department claims that it is not suitable for use with GFCIs then that is just as much part of the companies spec as the info in the marketing brochure.
+1.  Not to mention that as time passes, there will be more and more situations where GFCI functionality is required by code.  This manufacturer will soon run out of potential customers if they can't work around an intentional leakage issue.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »

I've said this before, but having non-mandatory GFCI use, but a mandatory 6mA trip if you use GFCI is insane.

The end outcome is that we consider a no-GFCI system with a 150,000mA trip safe and a nuisance-trip-free 30mA system unsafe.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »

As for testing, is that your milliamp multiplier loop you'd be using?  I'm in your same general neck of the woods, and would be willing to make mine available for testing, or PM me, and I'll send you the specifics on brand and model, and let you deal directly with the manufacturer.

I do have one of my milliamp multipliers built up, but haven't had a chance to do any actual testing. And I happen to have a high-end Fluke meter with an external amp-clamp that goes down to 1 mA, which I'll use for calibration. Once I double check calibration side-by-side I'll build a few more of the multipliers and send them out to you guys to experiment with. Frank, do you want to be on the list to get one? If so, PM me your shipping address and I'll  mail one out to you next week. If anyone else interested, then PM me. I'll have four of these modified to pass out for experimenting.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 07:13:14 PM »

Given that with each recent revision of the NEC they have mandated GFCI and AFCI on more and more circuits, the market for devices that require a direct wired receptacle are fading.

Any home with a garage or unfinished basement built since 2008 has needed GFCI protection. Just the places where PAs get used by bands for practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 07:22:55 AM »

Since the op indicates the surge suppressor mnftr doesn't use MOVs, the list of who it could be is relatively short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Sokol

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 08:14:45 AM »

Since the op indicates the surge suppressor mnftr doesn't use MOVs, the list of who it could be is relatively short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP and I have conferred on this, and I'm contacting the manufacturer on Monday to confirm if that's the case. If so, it's news to me.

For everyone.... If there's anything like this you would like me to confirm with any manufacturer, it's fine to air it publicly here as long as you note that it's unsubstantiated. I'll send a query to the manufacturer along with a link to the thread so they know we're serious. I'll post whatever they tell me, and we can continue the thread with our own conclusions. I do this all the time with my own experiments which is very educational. The power of PSW and this forum is pretty formidable and will get an answer back from any manufacturer.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »

The OP and I have conferred on this, and I'm contacting the manufacturer on Monday to confirm if that's the case. If so, it's news to me.

I've been promised a response back from "the manufacturer" by Monday, and I'll post it here then. At that point wen can continue the discussion.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »

I've been promised a response back from "the manufacturer" by Monday, and I'll post it here then. At that point wen can continue the discussion.
Can we assume the lack of activity on this thread means the mfr didn't follow through?

Mike Sokol

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »

Can we assume the lack of activity on this thread means the mfr didn't follow through?
They've promised that engineering was going to respond, but I haven't heard back from them in nearly two weeks. I'll double check tonight to make sure their email didn't end up in the spam box of my main computer.

Edit: I just pinged SurgeX again to ask if they've responded already. It's possible this was trapped in my spam folder on my office computer, but I won't know for sure until I get home and check. I'll let you know later tonight what I find out
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:25:37 PM by Mike Sokol »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.