ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotels and distros Rant  (Read 8465 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Hotels and distros Rant
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »

This was one of the reasons that we recently asked the Hot Wheels convention organizers to check with the LAX Westin to ensure a) we could bring our own PA to the event without incurring charges for not using their PA; and b) we could plug into an Edison without being charged for power.

Luckily, my PA and backline all work fine on one 15amp Edison.

While I agree with Ivan, I think asking in advance is the rule of thumb so that if there's a cost for a distro, using electricity, etc. it's covered either by the promoter or agreed that you can pass on that cost to them in the final bill.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »

Extortion is illegal, too. That's all this is in many cases. Use the hotel's a/v or get screwed.

That's probably what your customers think when they spring a last minute change on you and you have to pull extra gear off the truck-and *gasp* it cost how much?  You already had it there and had it paid for why is there an extra charge on my bill....

Ultimately it boils down to marketing-if you are going to quote apples to apples with the convention center down the street you can't quote all inclusive if they are charging for extras.

Car dealers charge $100 doc fees for 10 minutes paperwork-how can they?  People will pay and not walk-when the convention center starts losing bookings because of a policy the policy will change.  Until then if you can get extra money for using extra gear you're going to do it right?

Is it fair? Is it right? The market will decide.
Steve Swaffer

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »

The approach we use at our non hotel venue, but I see the application at a hotel, is the patrons don't know whether they are experiencing in house av or outside av.  All they know is they were at X property and they couldn't see/hear.  That's a problem for the property regardless of the reason. We allow outside vendors we approve.  I'll approve most anyone who isn't an idiot, but I will also show up on site and make them re run or neaten cable, and work to our standard.  I have an obligation to make sure out venues are shown in the best possible light no matter what. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »

The approach we use at our non hotel venue, but I see the application at a hotel, is the patrons don't know whether they are experiencing in house av or outside av.  All they know is they were at X property and they couldn't see/hear.  That's a problem for the property regardless of the reason. We allow outside vendors we approve.  I'll approve most anyone who isn't an idiot, but I will also show up on site and make them re run or neaten cable, and work to our standard.  I have an obligation to make sure out venues are shown in the best possible light no matter what. 

The aerospace safety conference I do every October is a collegial effort - we do sound and much of the lighting, but have the planner use in-house for the rest of the lighting, wireless mics, projection and video switching, and keep an in-house tech on the clock to be A2 and handle mic swaps and other stuff that may come up.  The combined work keeps the hotel and in-house firm happy, the setup looks really good and is more sophisticated than many of the hotel's events, enough so that the hotel asked for permission to take pictures and show the room to prospects when the main room is not in session.  And you know you're doing good when the housemen and catering staff mention it...

It works out well in our medium-market city, as we and the in-house and the hotel make each other look good.  The in-house manager said "we look at it like this is YOUR room, not ours."  I replied that we felt like we were guests in their facility and they could have played the exclusivity card, it's in our interest and the client's interest for us to behave accordingly.  It's worked out well, too, because we get some over-hire from them - it's easier for them to sub us in than get approval to rent extra gear from us.  We maintain their appearance standards and work directly under them to make sure we meet their client's expectations.

We also maintain a good relationship with the local AV Staging firms too.  A fair bit of our inventory is purposely maintained in discrete, plain black cases so they can use it without showing the subhire.  It's their gig, not ours.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 01:41:21 PM »

The aerospace safety conference I do every October is a collegial effort - we do sound and much of the lighting, but have the planner use in-house for the rest of the lighting, wireless mics, projection and video switching, and keep an in-house tech on the clock to be A2 and handle mic swaps and other stuff that may come up.  The combined work keeps the hotel and in-house firm happy, the setup looks really good and is more sophisticated than many of the hotel's events, enough so that the hotel asked for permission to take pictures and show the room to prospects when the main room is not in session.  And you know you're doing good when the housemen and catering staff mention it...

It works out well in our medium-market city, as we and the in-house and the hotel make each other look good.  The in-house manager said "we look at it like this is YOUR room, not ours."  I replied that we felt like we were guests in their facility and they could have played the exclusivity card, it's in our interest and the client's interest for us to behave accordingly.  It's worked out well, too, because we get some over-hire from them - it's easier for them to sub us in than get approval to rent extra gear from us.  We maintain their appearance standards and work directly under them to make sure we meet their client's expectations.

We also maintain a good relationship with the local AV Staging firms too.  A fair bit of our inventory is purposely maintained in discrete, plain black cases so they can use it without showing the subhire.  It's their gig, not ours.

Amazing how when everyone is client centered and focuses on the event and patrons, everyone wins. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 01:41:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.