ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for review of Bose L1 system in Church setting.  (Read 14225 times)

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
Re: Looking for review of Bose L1 system in Church setting.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 02:59:07 PM »

Luckily my father-in-law is a Bose employee and can get us a great price on a factory-refurb set of L1 model II with b2 bass modules.

An oft-repeated aphorism on these forums:
The wrong piece of gear at the right price is still the wrong piece of gear.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Justin Rude

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »

Hi guys. It has been a crazy busy week so I apologize for taking awhile to get back to some of these questions.

Many of you are asking what is wrong with our current set-up. Nothing. The main issue is I do all of this myself every weekend early morning, and it sucks. I forgot to mention that we have 2 powered subs (jbl jrx118 and sa aftershock) that we have in our possession. To load in a ton of heavy gear every week is not fun. Storage space is also an issue. The school we are located at allows us a very small spot behind stage for storage, and they are non-negotiable on that.

So to summarize, the l1 system would allow for quick set-up and practical storage. However, agreeing with Jeff Carter's comment above, I don't want to invest in something that sucks.

I should also mention that I would definitely not be using the system in the intended configuration Bose suggests (behind the musicians). I would set them up in a traditional PA placement on stage. So the question remains, would this kick out enough spl for a full band?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 08:20:10 PM »

I should also mention that I would definitely not be using the system in the intended configuration Bose suggests (behind the musicians). I would set them up in a traditional PA placement on stage. So the question remains, would this kick out enough spl for a full band?
One thing that you HAVE to consider with this (and other systems like it) is the MOUNTING HEIGHT of the speakers.

They have a very narrow vertical coverage pattern.

If you do not get them high enough-then the coverage will not be what you would want.

To low (ie not above people heads) and everybody will be out of the pattern-so it will sound muddy.

To high and the people will not hear the direct sound of the upper freq-but they will hae lots of reflections off of walls and will sound "echoy".

Proper placement is ESSENTIAL for these products.

Yes they will "make sound" when placed anywhere-but not as good as it as it could be when at the right height.

The height is much more critical than with "point and shoot" speakers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »

The height is much more critical than with "point and shoot" speakers.
One fun test is to place the speaker on its side (so that it is wider than tall) and walk the pattern from one end of the speaker to the other.

You should quickly/easily hear the "sweet spot".  So you can tell what the sound would be like when the audience is out of the sweet spot and how important proper mounting is.

I have installed a number of systems with the MA12 version of this product.  Often it is a fight to get the speaker where it needs to be-but that is the only way to get the results you want.

This is something that is not addressed, because it is so critical and hard to do.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 11:08:24 PM »

The JRX and the SA both have the lowest weight to performance ratio I could imagine.  One qsc kw181 or jbl prx718xlf would be a huge step up. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »

Justin,
It doesn't sound like you have an audio problem as much as you have a team problem.  Why are you doing this alone?  What other gear are you setting up?  The Bose may save some space, but I don't see it being less work to set up. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 04:17:30 AM »

Good point.  The youth ministry is usually an endless well of labor.  I frequently do volunteer engineering duties for several local churches.  Never had to do it by myself. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

George Dougherty

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 10:14:21 AM »

Already answered. Certainly not with just a single element pair. 115db max spl, likely calculated. Like I said, acoustic maybe, full band not really.

The 180 degree coverage as mentioned is also probably going to be an issue as a PA system.

Also +1 on assistance. I can't imagine doing a portable church setup on my own unless I were being paid well enough to make it worth my while for the extra time and effort. Everyone benefits from the sound system being setup quickly and properly.  There is no reason setting up the full system you describe should be an inconvenience to you. It's also a benefit to the worship team to be able to do most of it in the event you're not there.  All the portable church situations I've assisted with help as a group for all these reasons and it allows me to walk in and help effectively without having to figure out the system setup from scratch. Most of them are more complex than what you describe.

Justin Rude

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied. We have decided to stick with a traditional PA arrangement and will be looking for a simple pair of powered speakers on sticks to partner with our powered subs.

A quick note on our side discussion of my team members:
I do in fact get paid. For the amount of work I commit to weekly, the pay is quite generous and I am satisfied with it.

Our church is mostly made up of young adults with children (can't exactly lug your wife and kids to church at 6AM). I have definitely made my need aware to the congregation multiple times but no one besides my brother-in-law has stepped up to the plate. No one really has any AV background or even the desire to learn. I'm sure you all have been in my position as well. You just can't force people to volunteer (hence the term)...

chuck clark

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 01:07:05 AM »

Yeah, a line array made out of hi-fidelity TV speakers w/ a 10" woofer.  How loud do you think it will go?  Not very.  More like a nice home stereo.  The sound quality is not the problem, you just have to understand it simply isn't capable of very high volume levels.
Best of luck.
Chuck

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 01:07:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.