ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestions for powered stage monitors  (Read 19747 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Need suggestions for powered stage monitors
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 12:05:01 PM »

Earlier this year, I picked up a pair of RCF NX-12SMAs from Mike Pyle. I couldn't be happier with them. Clean, coherent, stable and really loud.

http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/nx-series/nx-12-sma

Took the words right out of my mouth. I got the NX12s from Mike. Couldn't be happier with the price or the product.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »

Took the words right out of my mouth. I got the NX12s from Mike. Couldn't be happier with the price or the product.

I imagine they are nice, but since the OP states a budget of $400-$600  these do not qualify.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Need suggestions for powered stage monitors
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »

Fair enough, just echoing the sentient.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »

...echoing the sentient.

Better than echoing the unconscious...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »

Better than echoing the unconscious...

LOL.... autocorrect got me :)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »

happy thanksgiving!

Quick question - for those that have used the Alto SXM112A, the EV ELX112p, and the QSC HPR122i, how do they compare? Both the Alto and EV are priced right to add some powered monitors; I like the small footprint of the Altos. My reference point would be the QSC HPR122i or the original Mackie SRM450. Thanks!

I can not speak about the other two models but I use the ELX112ps and they have enough bottom for use as drum monitors. I've put the entire kit thru one already with no issues. In fact since I've been using these I have rarely had any issues getting them as loud as I needed without any feedback. Hav ebeen asked to turn them down numerous times. They are angled for very near field monitoring and will need angled back more if you have someone who stands back away from them. Those cheap brown rubber door stops work great.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

George Dougherty

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »

Has anyone heard these as general purpose floor monitors (rather than modeling guitar amp)?  Lots of fans in the guitar world.

http://www.atomicamps.com/products.htm

500W powered 12" coax wedge for $999 factory direct.  They have a 33lbs neo driver version for $400 more, but the premium wouldn't make sense for a permanent install.

Cheers,
JR
For that money I'd rather have the RCF coaxials.

duane massey

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2014, 01:22:22 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Client decided (wisely) to stick with his existing passive Yamaha's and postpone any further changes until next year.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »

I can not speak about the other two models but I use the ELX112ps and they have enough bottom for use as drum monitors. I've put the entire kit thru one already with no issues. In fact since I've been using these I have rarely had any issues getting them as loud as I needed without any feedback. Hav ebeen asked to turn them down numerous times. They are angled for very near field monitoring and will need angled back more if you have someone who stands back away from them. Those cheap brown rubber door stops work great.

I respectfully disagree that the ELX112p has enough bottom for drum wedge, if your drummer wants kick and bass in his wedge at any volume. These speakers lose their UMPH at pretty low SPL. Of course maybe you have bands that play at reasonable volumes, I sadly rarely get those drummers.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »

I respectfully disagree that the ELX112p has enough bottom for drum wedge, if your drummer wants kick and bass in his wedge at any volume. These speakers lose their UMPH at pretty low SPL. Of course maybe you have bands that play at reasonable volumes, I sadly rarely get those drummers.

I do sometimes put a powered sub under it, but normally its by itself on a tightly closed tripod stand right next to the drummers head, which Does have a significant impact since I usually get away with running the drum monitor at about half the level as the ones on the floor.  So my comments should be qualified as such since I never put a drum wedge on the floor, if it not on a tripod its on a amp stand, either way always very close to the drummers ears. Ain't no joy like having drummers routinely ask you to turn the monitor down.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.