ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC KW series issues  (Read 2833 times)

Carl Wetter

• Mebane, NC
QSC KW series issues
« on: October 25, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »

I was looking around online to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar with the KW series. I have 4 of the KW 153's, and 3 seemed to be having horn distortion and/or dropouts. Another friend of mine was having a similar issue with one of his.

To make sure it wasn't in my processing, I purchased a small digital mixer to use for a gig last night. I also brought a spare horn diaphragm to change out in case the outboard gear was not at fault. The setup was two tops, the one cab with no issues and one with.

The distortion happened during soundcheck, so I replaced the diaphragm before the show started, put the cab back up, and immediately noticed the volume was not where it should have been. Upon touching the wheel which controls the volume, the volume jumped back up to normal. No distortion for the rest of the show, which is good, but leads me to a different question:

Has anyone using these cabinets also had said distortion/dropouts, and what was your solution? I now have to wait until my next show in a couple of weeks to do more tests (because these things don't fail for me in the shop, just on the job, apparently).

I haven't heard of anyone else really having horn or dirty potentiometer problems. My QSC rep is also eager to know.

Thanks,
Carl

paul bell

Re: QSC KW series issues
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:56:22 PM »

I believe these amp modules are related to the RMX series of amps. They had volume pots that would get dirty and lose connectivity. Exercising them from minimum to high a bunch of times cured it-temporarily. The service replacements from QSC were no better, it was not an upgraded pot, just the same one.

I'd be surprised if your problem WASN'T this.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:04:25 AM »

+1 on dirty controls. 

(short term) Exercise them before the show.  (long term) take the controls apart and clean them... or have them professionally cleaned.

chuck clark

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 03:52:07 AM »

Yup, +1 dirty pots (volume potentiometers) I've had same problem w/ old PLX amps.
Chuck

Carl Wetter

• Mebane, NC
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »

The HPR had the RMX, the KW's I believe use the GX series. Either way the dirty pots entirely make sense.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.