ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB Sub with dual 18"?  (Read 6086 times)

Tyler.stevenson

LAB Sub with dual 18"?
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:10:13 PM »

Hi,
I am interested in building 2 LAB sub's but am looking for plans that allow 2x 18" drivers to be installed rather than 12" drivers for outdoor psy-trance music events, i am curious weather there are any official plans out there that have the corrected measurements?

If not, I am still interested in building 2x Lab12 Subs but am not very savvy when it comes to working out how much wood is needed etc for the final build and im building on only a small budget :(
Does anyone have any plans or knowing on how many sheets of birch ply are needed [2440x1220x18] for the final build of a single sub?

I will also be building 2x Po Rn horns for midtops with these subs, what are your thoughts/opinions/ideas on this particular build :)

Many thanks,
New speaker builder :)

Ben Mehlman

Re: LAB Sub with dual 18"?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »

Hi,
I am interested in building 2 LAB sub's but am looking for plans that allow 2x 18" drivers to be installed rather than 12" drivers for outdoor psy-trance music events,

They're designed for the 12 inch drivers, which are specially manufactured by Eminence to go with this design.  18 inch drivers won't make them better.

Where are you located?  One of the guys associated with Touch Samadhi in North Carolina has six labs which he uses for their festival every year.. it is PLENTY of bass.  I do psy events in the NYC area.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »

Dual 18" folded horn sub with the same dimensions and designer?  Danley DBH218. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »

They're designed for the 12 inch drivers, which are specially manufactured by Eminence to go with this design.  18 inch drivers won't make them better.

Where are you located?  One of the guys associated with Touch Samadhi in North Carolina has six labs which he uses for their festival every year.. it is PLENTY of bass.  I do psy events in the NYC area.

This.  Right.  Here.

Horn loaded subs are designed around a specific set of driver parameters.  Simply changing the driver size and baffle board will not "improve" the results and will likely result in performance significantly inferior to the original design.

Also note that you will need multiples of whatever conventional horn-loaded subs you build/buy in order to reach the LF extension you desire without ripples in response.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »

This.  Right.  Here.

Horn loaded subs are designed around a specific set of driver parameters.  Simply changing the driver size and baffle board will not "improve" the results and will likely result in performance significantly inferior to the original design.

Also note that you will need multiples of whatever conventional horn-loaded subs you build/buy in order to reach the LF extension you desire without ripples in response.
Also many people simply think they can "improve" the performance of a horn subs by putting a "better" driver in it.

But many of the older sub designs were intended for lightweight cone drivers-not the typical heavy cone as used in ported cabinets.

So when they put a "better" driver in the cabinet it does not perform as well as with the intended driver.

As you know-with ported cabinets you can swap drivers around pretty easy and the performance will mostly follow that of the driver.  But as you say-with a horn cabinet it is quite a different story.  The driver and the cabinet are basically "chosen/designed" together.

in the case of the lab 12-there was no commercial driver that would work the way Tom Danley wanted it to-so he worked with Eminance to come up with a driver that would work well in the design.

The lab 12 was the first (that I am aware of) horn sub that used a heavy cone woofer.

That design started a new "thought process" in horn subs and what type of driver was used.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Richard Turner

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »

Hi,
I am interested in building 2 LAB sub's but am looking for plans that allow 2x 18" drivers to be installed rather than 12" drivers for outdoor psy-trance music events, i am curious weather there are any official plans out there that have the corrected measurements?

If not, I am still interested in building 2x Lab12 Subs but am not very savvy when it comes to working out how much wood is needed etc for the final build and im building on only a small budget :(
Does anyone have any plans or knowing on how many sheets of birch ply are needed [2440x1220x18] for the final build of a single sub?

Wow, I think you should go and read the archived threads,all of the info is there  The labsub project is/was presented as an alternative to a commercially available product from a 3 letter sound system manufacturers product who has a factory in the East of the USA. At the time they were offering a dual 12" folded horn sub at the price point around $10k which some felt was way out of line with the actual cost to develop and build the units.

Two cabinets will not do what you are wanting to do, It is designed to be a SUB BASS SYSTEM of 6 boxes, you will still need something else to cover the gap to your full range PA unless you are already running something substantial in the 2x15 type of trap box rig class of gear, something solid down to 60 hz.

If you do not have a solid foundation in cabinetmaking or wood working, DO NOT ATTEMPT, many have tried and destroyed many a driver by not following the plans and not having AIRTIGHT cabinets. The plans are as presented very sound in both theory and real life application, I doubt you have the knowledge and or know how to improve on them as they were given to the Prosoundweb community by an actual rocket scientist or whatever his actual qualifications are I forget.

My Suggestion would be save your pennies and buy something once and cry over the price, Most of the new style self powered sub cabs out now with on board processing and differential drive woofers will outperform what 2 cabs will do anyway.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:52:57 PM by Mac Kerr »
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 26 queries.