ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dB Technologies S30N vs RCF SUB 8006-AS Comparison  (Read 8672 times)

Mike Sullivan

dB Technologies S30N vs RCF SUB 8006-AS Comparison
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »

(Sorry if it feels like this should be in the user reviews section, but I felt as it's a discussion on comparing the two, I thought it would be fine in the LAB.  Mods, if you feel otherwise, feel free to move it as needed)

My buddy has S30's that we use regularly for our large shows, and I am using a pair of them for a show this weekend.  I had some down time this evening, so I sat one next to my SUB 8006, which has seen one show since I purchased it, using my HD32a's as tops for a little side by side comparison.  Here's how they stack up on paper...

Power: S30N - 3000 watts RMS, 8006 - 2500 watts RMS
Max SPL: Both 141dB peak
Frequency Response: Both 30-120Hz +/- 3dB
Crossover: S30N 75-120Hz selectable, 8006 90/120Hz selectable
Woofers: Both 2 x 18" with 4" VC
Weight: S30N 183lbs, 8006 198lbs

Size wise, looking at the boxes laying on the ground horizontally the 8006 is definitely taller (due to the ports on the bottom of the box vs a horn design), but are the same width, so a trailer pack is still possible if you set them horizontal.  Picking them up you can tell the S30N is a bit lighter, the 8006 isn't much heavier.  The multi direction handles on the S30 make it easier when turning the boxes to set them down. 

For my testing, I put the HD32's in a stereo L/R main output, high passed at 100Hz, with one S30N on one aux and my 8006 on a second aux.  Each sub was crossed over at 90Hz, max input gain, normal phase, no delay, with the 8006 on "Punch".  Both aux buses were set post fade, unity gain, with a +6dB boost at 50/63Hz for a little extra low end (which is what I normally run the S30's at). 

Using several rock, country, and pop tracks, the boxes kept up pretty well with each other, but the 8006 had a bit more output.  When equaled out (had to bring the 8006 back about 6dB on the master aux fader) and the tops off, switching back and forth between boxes the 8006 seemed to have a more rounded low end kick, while the S30N had a bit more "hollow" sounding kick.  Either one sounded great for any style rock or country. 

However, when switching to electro/hip hop content, the 8006 has a greater advantage due to the box design.  The S30N's design means the box drops off past 45Hz, while the 8006 reaches considerably lower, and the content can surely be felt with a lot more authority than the S30N.  I have a friend that will be sending me a list of some new hip hop songs with the low content to test out next week (hopefully when the neighbors are all at work  :P)

My personal opinion, both are great subs.  Both get loud and hit hard for kicking-style content (Rock and some newer country), but I personally feel the 8006 has a better sounding bottom end (more kick than punch, if that makes sense  :-X ) and responds better to sub 50Hz content than the S30N.  Neither are bad, both are great subs.  Just stating my personal opinion on them.

With that said, has anyone else put these two side by side and can speak on how they feel?  I know the general consensus I have gathered says that the S30N are better designed for rock, and the 8006 are better for all-around content, including hip hop, but I have to say I'm liking the 8006 more so far.  I plan on ordering at least a second sub (if not more  ;D) and doing some more testing.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Bill Hornibrook

Re: dB Technologies S30N vs RCF SUB 8006-AS Comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:41:48 AM »

I have a friend that will be sending me a list of some new hip hop songs with the low content to test out next week.

Here are some great hip-hop tracks to find out what you've really got in subs. All are huge club hits and are regularly used by hip-hop DJ's.

Flat to 36.7hz: Jeremih - Don't Tell 'Em.  The bass on this track hits a really solid low "D" and then alternates with a "D" an octave above. Are the two equal in strength? Does the low one contain enough fundamental to shake the room?

Flat to 32.7hz: Trey Songz - Bottom's Up. Same thing but with a low and high "C". Are the two notes equal in volume?

And now for the big one... Flat to 30.8hz: Drake - The Motto. This is a modern classic hip-hop track that for better or worse popularized the term YOLO. There's a bass riff that starts out on B one (61.7hz) but then drops an octave to B zero (30.8hz). First of all is there anything there? On many systems it sounds like someone shut the subs off. On decent systems both high and low bass runs will be approximately the same level. On my custom 21" cabs there's a bit of attenuation but it's not too bad.

For sheer robustness of entire sub system: B.O.B. - Headband. This track continuously hits a thunderous wobbly note at approximately low "C" (32.7hz) that notoriously pops both breakers and drivers.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:58:02 PM »

Here are some great hip-hop tracks to find out what you've really got in subs. All are huge club hits and are regularly used by hip-hop DJ's.

Flat to 36.7hz: Jeremih - Don't Tell 'Em.  The bass on this track hits a really solid low "D" and then alternates with a "D" an octave above. Are the two equal in strength? Does the low one contain enough fundamental to shake the room?

Flat to 32.7hz: Trey Songz - Bottom's Up. Same thing but with a low and high "C". Are the two notes equal in volume?

And now for the big one... Flat to 30.8hz: Drake - The Motto. This is a modern classic hip-hop track that for better or worse popularized the term YOLO. There's a bass riff that starts out on B one (61.7hz) but then drops an octave to B zero (30.8hz). First of all is there anything there? On many systems it sounds like someone shut the subs off. On decent systems both high and low bass runs will be approximately the same level. On my custom 21" cabs there's a bit of attenuation but it's not too bad.

For sheer robustness of entire sub system: B.O.B. - Headband. This track continuously hits a thunderous wobbly note at approximately low "C" (32.7hz) that notoriously pops both breakers and drivers.

Bill, thanks for the list, I'll test those out this week and let you know how they sound.  I'm not as up to date with the hip hop club scene as I used to be in my young "DJ" years.  I've heard them all though when working club shows recently.  They should be some fun ones to test, I'll see if I can get a video of them as well and let you know how it goes.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »

Thanks Mike. I should add that these tracks are not unusual in contemporary hip-hop. This is the frequency range this stuff operates in. I used them as examples because they have that octave up- octave down thing going on for reference.

I'm a club DJ mixing every week. Modern hip-hop is by far the most demanding material I mix for subs - far more than any EDM, dub or trap (the latter two are on their way out anyway).

I've got plenty more examples if you want them ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.