ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lighting novice; DMX 512 foot controller for Chauvet 5 channel LED lights  (Read 2936 times)

Tom Schwall

We are a 4 piece band with a set of 8 Chauvet LED Rain 56, 5 channel cans (sets of four each on light stands, stage right and left). We use an Obey 40 DMX controller, which is run by our FOH sound/light tech. We also use the Chauvet D-Fi wireless system to eliminate DMX cable runs from the controller to the light stand, and between the 2 light stands. The system works great. Since many of the venues and events that we play are challenged by having our engineer parked out front, and for other obvious reasons, we have upgraded from our Allen & Heath GL2400 mixer (hand over heart!) to a Soundcraft Expression Si digital mixing board. This allows our sound engineer to roam the venue and control the sound wirelessly via an iPad, while the mixer is parked at stage side. With the Obey 40 now sitting below the mixer in the rack side stage, or on stage behind the bass rig, the engineer has to run back and forth to make lighting scene changes. We have experimented with the Chauvet FlareCon Wireless setup, but the app does not have the scene changing and configuration flexibility that we need. Accordingly, I'd like to find DMX foot controller, so that one of the band members could make lighting scene changes from the stage. I'd like to be able to punch in some simple color scenes, chases, and audio sync patches with a foot controller, that could be connected via DMX cable to our light trees; or we could use the D-Fi wireless at the foot controller's output, as well.  I've seen some posts about using a MIDI controller in this fashion, but that is way over my head. Is there a DMX 512 foot controller that can be used with a 5 channel Chauvet LED system such as ours? I've looked all over the internet, but can't seem to find such a device. Thanks for your help!

Josh Daws

if buddy is already using an iPad, i suggest using Martin MPC as a software base w/enttec dongle and connect your laptop to the router you will be using. second thing is use touch OSC and you instantly have a lighting console in which you can use wirelessly. easy!

Josh Daws

the other thing to note is that the software is free, no limitations other than you have 1 universe (512 DMX channels) and the enttec dongle will set you back about $150 bucks!

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.