ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MixWiz 3 and Aux Fed Subs/Internal Jumpers  (Read 2606 times)

Mike Collatos

MixWiz 3 and Aux Fed Subs/Internal Jumpers
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »

I have been searching all day but can't find the specific info I am looking for. I am trying to run Aux fed subs off the Aux 6 on my MixWiz 3. I have pressed the switch to engage Aux 6 on the M fader however I still have to use the fader on the channel to get sound to go to the M fader even though I have the Aux 6 knob at unity (3o'Clock) position. Basically Aux 6 is still running post fader. I have one channel that I have a Yamaha SubKick mic on that I don't want it to go to my mains at all. Post fader causes the SubKick's upper region to come thru my mains which I don't want. Do I also need to open up the unit and set the jumper on that channel to pre fader so I don't have to use the channel fader only the aux 6 gain knob? I don't see anytihng in the manual specific to this senario and I really want to be sure the jumper works when engaging the switch to use aux 6 on the M fader before I open up the unit.

I use my SubKick mic along with an Audix D6 for the kick so I get the upper region I need to the mains using the D6.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: MixWiz 3 and Aux Fed Subs/Internal Jumpers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »

Yes, the internal jumper needs to be switched. See the block diagram on page 25. Mark C.

Edit to correct information.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:31:10 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »

I'm sure some will disagree but a sub-kick is more of a luxury toy that could be used on a bigger board.  The 16 channels on a MixWiz are for real microphones.  If you can't get the sound you want from a D6 there's something wrong with the drum tuning or mic placement.  If you need it for aesthetic or sponsorship reasons, leave it in place but don't connect it to anything.  :-)

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »

If you're running mono, another option is to use L Channel for subs and R channel for tops.  I've been using my MixWiz this way for years.
Colorado Springs, CO

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »

Another thing about using a D6 and the SubKick.  The D6 will need a delay in order to prevent any phase issues.  If you do not have a delay available I would say to stay with the D6 only.   Yamaha has some tutorials in Youtube on the need for the delay with mic's  and the current recording article on phase and polarity has an example on a bass guitar showing the phase quandry.   

Mike Collatos

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »

My main concern was whether the jumpers still had any eefect when using Aux6+M fader or if it just bypassed it all and I was stuck with Pre fader.

I did not use both the D6 and Subkick after all. Luckely the first three bands used the same kit and the drummer knew how to tune his drums so I only used the D6. Later on a few of the other drumers that were not so good at tunning their kick I went ahead and just used the Subkick as I could not get the punch I wanted no matter where I put the D6 mic. Worked out well, think I may just keep the subkick handy for those situations where the kick is garbage to begin with to help me get a little more umph out of it when needed.

Also was not aware of the phase issues using a Subkick with another mic, I'll have to read up on that but at this point I'll probably use one or the other.

Thanks all.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 06:12:31 PM »

When I encountered a kick from which I could not get any 'balls', I swapped the D6 for a PR40.  I've not used the D6 since.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »

When I encountered a kick from which I could not get any 'balls', I swapped the D6 for a PR40.  I've not used the D6 since.

Have you tried the Heil PR48?

I've been interested in this one but haven't seen too many reviews.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.