ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethernet Triggers and E-mail  (Read 6335 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Ethernet Triggers and E-mail
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 02:20:33 AM »

Bob - the OP wants to trigger the email with an  ASCII message sent over a socket.  Not a job for Outlook.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk

Unless I misinterpret he wants to forward the mail from the DSP to an existing Windows system where it can be relayed from. Outlook is the answer if that is the case.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 07:34:10 AM »

Unless I misinterpret he wants to forward the mail from the DSP to an existing Windows system where it can be relayed from. Outlook is the answer if that is the case.

I am working with a DSP that can send out Ethernet triggers.  The destination IP, Port, TCP/UDP, and the message are all assignable fields.

The DSP can only send ASCII messages "in the blind" either via UDP or TCP, this was stated in the OP.  Outlook is a mail client designed to interface humans to SNMP, it can also forward emails based on rules.  In order for it to do that it would have to already be received from the a POP3 pull or an imap push.  If the DSP had that capability the point would be moot.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »

Scott,
Maybe I'm incorrect in that what I read is the OP has message capability within the DSP already, on the same network as the recipient. The WS is listening and the message only has to conform to SMTP in order to be recognized and forwarded by the MS system. I do this every day of the week with storage systems that dial home or send emails with critical issues. The question is what is the DSP doing with the info once he's filled in the blanks, and under what condition(s) does it forward that information to the assigned IP address and port. That has not been answered and won't be until the OP tells us more about his "DSP".

All of the recommendations above are valid solutions in one form or another, but once again it looks as if the solution is being "over engineered". Who knows what Linux skills the OP has, if any, and he's already stated his OS is Windows, so the goal would be to work with the tools he has. To assume is death in my industry, so I don't. However, in this case, and knowing the DSP has provisions for messaging, the question remains. What does it do with those messages, and under what conditions. Once that question is answered then a solution can be found. And still no mention as to what this DSP is.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 04:20:17 PM »

Scott,
Maybe I'm incorrect in that what I read is the OP has message capability within the DSP already, on the same network as the recipient. The WS is listening and the message only has to conform to SMTP in order to be recognized and forwarded by the MS system. I do this every day of the week with storage systems that dial home or send emails with critical issues. The question is what is the DSP doing with the info once he's filled in the blanks, and under what condition(s) does it forward that information to the assigned IP address and port. That has not been answered and won't be until the OP tells us more about his "DSP".

All of the recommendations above are valid solutions in one form or another, but once again it looks as if the solution is being "over engineered". Who knows what Linux skills the OP has, if any, and he's already stated his OS is Windows, so the goal would be to work with the tools he has. To assume is death in my industry, so I don't. However, in this case, and knowing the DSP has provisions for messaging, the question remains. What does it do with those messages, and under what conditions. Once that question is answered then a solution can be found. And still no mention as to what this DSP is.

To me an Ethernet Trigger is not an SMTP mailer.  But you have a point that some assumptions were made regarding nomenclature interpretation.

Now I am interested and I hope he OP stops back to finish the story.

Besides I am too tired for a mental weenie measuring contest.  Went to check out a band I might be doing sound for last night, got home, let the dog out and he got skunked.  Ran across house, rolled on two nice rugs that are going to cost God knows how much to send out to get cleaned and then of course right on to my wife and my bed with a down duvet.  Never a dull moment.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »

I think I answered some of the questions in post #10.  The DSP is a London, which cannot send SMTP messages to my knowledge. If it can, it's not straight forward. Or beyond my current knowledge set. The idea is to have the DSP trigger an email in the case of an error. One example would be a middle Atlantic Temp-Dec, which closes a contact went the temperature is above a set value, or a ups closes a contact when it switches to battery. These contacts would be read by the DSP via logic inputs and then send out an Ethernet trigger to a local computer which would then trigger an email (on a different network, see below)

Another point is that there are two networks, an Audio only network, containing amps, dsp, mixers, wireless, etc, which is typically running some kind of audio over Ethernet, be it cobranet or Dante, and then a completely separate "internet" connection. This internet connection is supplied by a third party solely for remote diagnostics on the local on site windows machine.

Unfortunately this project is purely an "in my free time" so it will be a little while before I am able to pick it back up again.

I attached a picture of the Ethernet trigger block parameters from the London software. Sorry for the actual "screen shots"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »

I think I answered some of the questions in post #10.  The DSP is a London, which cannot send SMTP messages to my knowledge. If it can, it's not straight forward. Or beyond my current knowledge set. The idea is to have the DSP trigger an email in the case of an error. One example would be a middle Atlantic Temp-Dec, which closes a contact went the temperature is above a set value, or a ups closes a contact when it switches to battery. These contacts would be read by the DSP via logic inputs and then send out an Ethernet trigger to a local computer which would then trigger an email (on a different network, see below)

Another point is that there are two networks, an Audio only network, containing amps, dsp, mixers, wireless, etc, which is typically running some kind of audio over Ethernet, be it cobranet or Dante, and then a completely separate "internet" connection. This internet connection is supplied by a third party solely for remote diagnostics on the local on site windows machine.

Unfortunately this project is purely an "in my free time" so it will be a little while before I am able to pick it back up again.

I attached a picture of the Ethernet trigger block parameters from the London software. Sorry for the actual "screen shots"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for clarifying Dave.  When you get back to it give me a shout.  I will be glad to write the bash/expect/pearl/python/php or whatever you want to script in.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 26 queries.