ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI over Cat5/6 Extender recommendations...  (Read 4894 times)

Chris Edwards

HDMI over Cat5/6 Extender recommendations...
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »

Hey Folks,

I have an event coming up which is going to require me to do a run of about 100-150 feet.  The output of the system is going to be be HDMI.  The other end will have two 60' monitors. I am trying to find out the most cost effective yet reliable method to hook everything up. 

As far as extenders, any recommendations?  My friend can get me good prices on Key Digita..  I can also get good prices on Altona.  I was looking at the following models.

http://keydigital.com/items.asp?ItemCode=KDCATHD250POH&Company=KEY

http://www.atlona.com/HDRX.html

Can I use a HDMI over Cat 5 solution and then split the signal at the receiving end?  If so, any recommendations on splitters?

Thanks.

Robert Healey

Re: HDMI over Cat5/6 Extender recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »

Hey Folks,

I have an event coming up which is going to require me to do a run of about 100-150 feet.  The output of the system is going to be be HDMI.  The other end will have two 60' monitors. I am trying to find out the most cost effective yet reliable method to hook everything up. 

As far as extenders, any recommendations?  My friend can get me good prices on Key Digita..  I can also get good prices on Altona.  I was looking at the following models.

http://keydigital.com/items.asp?ItemCode=KDCATHD250POH&Company=KEY

http://www.atlona.com/HDRX.html

Can I use a HDMI over Cat 5 solution and then split the signal at the receiving end?  If so, any recommendations on splitters?

Thanks.

Since you have a portable application and aren't trying to fit an HDMI connector through a conduit, a cable like this might be cheaper than the extenders plus the shielded Cat6: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1063192-REG/fsr_dr_pcb_h30m_hdmi_digital_ribbon.html

Look at Kramer for an HDMI splitter.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:12:01 PM »

I have a 125' HDMI cable that has an amplifier 2/3rds the way down it powered by a USB tail at the source end. Obviously the cable is somewhat unidirectional. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »

I recommend the Monoprice HDMI over CAT6 extenders and the Redmere version cables.

They have been surprisingly reliable and roadworthy.

We use 100ft lengths of solid CAT6 STP for extension runs, also from Monoprice.

DAs can be very finicky; Gefen and Kramer may be more affordable without skimping too much.

Rentex has solutions if it's a one-off.

Whatever you do, I recommend the ENTIRE chain be HDCP-compliant, and make sure you have some way to handle EDID (Hall Research's HDMI Audio De-embedder looks fantastic).

Stick with 720p video resolution if you can; 1080p takes a much larger bandwidth and most people won't notice the difference.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:52:21 PM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:23:12 PM »

I use both Atlona Roadnet and Gefen HDMI over 1 CAT6.  Atlona uses ethercon -- more robust than regular RJ45.  But Atlona is twice as expensive as Gefen.

My buddy uses Monoprice and it works just fine (needs two cables though.)  Unfortunately his Monoprice splitter died.

I've also used Inveo from Tiger Direct.  No issues.  Again, need 2 cables.

The only brand I've had trouble is Kanex Pro.  Never really worked for me, but YMMV.

Regardless which brand, for portable use I'd go with unit that uses 1 cable vs the more common 2-cable solution to save time.

Yes you can split the HDMI carried over the cat5/6 extenders.  I use Gefen splitters without any issue.

You will have better reliability (on runs over 100ft) by using shielded twisted pair cat6. 

Good luck,
JR

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »

You can also check out FSR's new Digital Ribbon HDMI cables.  It's actually a combination of fiber optic and copper in a flat cable.  Quite pricey, but eliminates cat5/6 cables and extenders altogether.  My shop will be switching over to these (once we become a dealer.)
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Chris Edwards

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »

You can also check out FSR's new Digital Ribbon HDMI cables.  It's actually a combination of fiber optic and copper in a flat cable.  Quite pricey, but eliminates cat5/6 cables and extenders altogether.  My shop will be switching over to these (once we become a dealer.)

This looks promising but seems like a pricey replacement vs Cat5/6 if a cable gets damaged.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:37:01 PM »

If I have to go over cat 5e/6 I use the monoprice hd base t distribution.  Extremely reliable.  My preference is to convert to hd/sdi and run over some Rg-6. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit for it being late

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »

If I have to go over cat 5e/6 I use the monoprice hd base t distribution...
Cailen,

I think those directly replaced the original HDMI over CAT6 extenders that we purchased. I think it's a great upgrade, but I haven't used the exact model yet. HD BaseT seems like a great concept and I'm hoping it integrates well into a constantly changing environment as compared to an install.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.