ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Neo scare over?  (Read 13682 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: Neo scare over?
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »

The word I would use is "denser."

Are you talking about me or the cab?  ;)

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:20:53 PM »

Here's a quick PBS video on rare earths that I found fun and informative when it aired a couple of years ago:

http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/asset/nvhe_vid_rareearth/

There was another part of this video (not included here) that reported on the research going into making neo magnets with alloys containing far less neodymium, but retaining the same flux density.

Last I checked Molycorp is still not up to meaningful production of rare earths (didn't click on the OP's link however). When that happens - and when neo magnets containing less neodymium become practical - I think that neo magnet drivers will definitely make a comeback. But that may be awhile, and they may be quite different in appearance and physical properties than what we have today.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »

The real hole in the STX line is there's no 722 replacement.  So let's look back.  The 4731 is 132lbs!! The 722 is only 76lbs AND a much smaller cab .  I can actually pick one up and carry it around by myself.  An 825 is back to 112lb and again, bigger.  For what we do, and I'm sure many others, the 722 is the holy grail of top cabs.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »

For what we do, and I'm sure many others, the 722 is the holy grail of top cabs.

It is for me!  I like the idea that my top cabs, monitors, and SOS all use the same 12" driver.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 07:41:23 PM »

Really?  The 712 is smaller, but I can't imagine it being built much more "solid" than it already is.

Put the two side by side and you'll see what I mean.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »

Well there must be something "special" about the STX cabinets.  The 600 watt 2206 speaker suddenly becomes an 800 watt speaker in the STX812 and the 2226 gains an extra 200 watts capacity when installed in the STX 825 ???
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:46:32 AM by Chuck Simon »

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »

What concerns me is what did they sacrifice in cabinet construction in order to get only a nine pound difference in weight using drivers that are substantially heavier?

The STX are very well built cabs. I have 6 STX828s and 6 STX835s. I had SR4719Xs and SR4732Xs before and wasnt really impressed with the construction of those. I have also used the SRX7xx cabs and I think JBL really stepped up their game construction-wise on those boxes and continued that in the STX line.
They are heavy - STX828 = 180lbs and the STX835 at 126lbs - but they are actually just slightly lighter than my old SRs.

And they sound fantastic! I am very impressed with the clarity and warm mid response of the 835s and the 828 really throws out some thump - especially with 3 per side and 3000watts of Itech per cabinet!

paul bell

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 11:45:56 PM »

The 600 watt 2206 speaker suddenly becomes an 800 watt speaker in the STX812 and the 2226 gains an extra 200 watts capacity when installed in the STX 825 ???

That's the new math according to JBL

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 08:34:46 AM »

Not actually new math, but long term ratings. The neo drivers don't dissipate heat as well as the newer designed ceramic drivers. Although not new JBL's vented gap cooling is responsible for a huge (3db) increase in power through loss to power compression, that nasty loss of power seen as drivers heat. The neo motor assemblies realize similar gains in performance, however, the neo motors won't take as much long term power as the ceramic drivers, hence the adjusted power rating.

In the past I've spoken about my 551P-TAC modified Bag End subs. Those subs, still in use today, run side by side with JBL SRX718s. There is no difference in performance, other than the 551P-TAC subs, equipped with 2242 drivers, are capable of reproducing lower frequency tones than the 718 using 2268 drivers. I paid almost $1100 each for the 2242 drivers new, and to this day feel they are one of the best investments I have ever made concerning pro sound.

Here is an older link explaining vented gap cooling;

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/tn_v1n18.pdf

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »

The real hole in the STX line is there's no 722 replacement.  So let's look back.  The 4731 is 132lbs!! The 722 is only 76lbs AND a much smaller cab .  I can actually pick one up and carry it around by myself.  An 825 is back to 112lb and again, bigger.  For what we do, and I'm sure many others, the 722 is the holy grail of top cabs.

JBL did away with the dual 12 cabinets due to lack of sales. It seems that only knowledgeable sound guys were buying them. I guess that would explain the lack of sales. Not many of those around  ::)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.