ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Neo scare over?  (Read 13684 times)

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
Neo scare over?
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »

Among others, will JBL go back to neo drivers and drop the weight of the STX line?

http://www.cfr.org/energy-and-environment/rare-earth-elements-national-security/p33632

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Neo scare over?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »

Scott,
The STX line is what it is and I'm sure JBL has no plane to change the drivers. The drivers being used don't add enough weight to make any substantial difference, let alone the fact the drivers being used are time proven and some of the best available in the world. If I were to use the 18" 2242 being used as an example, which I use along side my SRX subs using 2268 neo drivers, I will state the 2242 is capable of reproducing better sound at lower frequencies while being just as efficient. An example will be the STX825 and the SRX725. The 825 weighs 9lbs more and considering the size and components that doesn't amount to a piss hole in the snow. Well built quality cabinets are seldom light weight.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »

What concerns me is what did they sacrifice in cabinet construction in order to get only a nine pound difference in weight using drivers that are substantially heavier?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:18:22 AM »

Not a thing.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »

What concerns me is what did they sacrifice in cabinet construction in order to get only a nine pound difference in weight using drivers that are substantially heavier?

The STX cabinets are very well built. I think better built than the SRX line. That's where most of the extra weight comes from. Not so much from the drivers.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:33:32 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »

Actually, after looking into it a little further, I see that the STX 825 is 12 pounds heavier than the SRX 725, and that is just about the difference between two 2265s and two 2226s.  So the increase in weight is due to the difference in speakers and it less significant than I thought, as Bob so colorfully stated!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »

If you compare the SRX712 with the STX812, you'll see that the STX comes in at 9 pounds heavier at 42 pounds.  The weight difference between the drivers is about 7.5 pounds, so the different driver is the major contributor to the weight difference. The STX is slightly larger, which likely accounts  for the additional pound and a half of weight.  Construction quality of both seems equal.

For a compact speaker, that extra 9 pounds makes quite a bit of difference in moving the speaker around.

For something like the SRX715, the neo driver kept the cabinet under 50 lbs.  That's reasonable to lift onto a stand by an individual.  The replacement STX815 comes in at 58 pounds.  That's right at the tipping point between easily lifting a speaker on a stand and struggling to get it up in the air.

For cabinets that stay on the ground it's much less of an issue.  Since I never lift my subs, an added 10 or 20 pounds won't make a huge difference for me.  However, one thing to consider with the heavier magnet is that is more mass bouncing around inside the cabinet.  A bump on the road would be more likely to throw a heavy magnet out of alignment versus a light magnet.  With a well designed spider this shouldn't be an issue, but is certainly part of the consideration.
Brian Jojade

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:55:07 PM »

If you compare the SRX712 with the STX812, you'll see that the STX comes in at 9 pounds heavier at 42 pounds.  The weight difference between the drivers is about 7.5 pounds, so the different driver is the major contributor to the weight difference. The STX is slightly larger, which likely accounts  for the additional pound and a half of weight.  Construction quality of both seems equal.

For a compact speaker, that extra 9 pounds makes quite a bit of difference in moving the speaker around.

For something like the SRX715, the neo driver kept the cabinet under 50 lbs.  That's reasonable to lift onto a stand by an individual.  The replacement STX815 comes in at 58 pounds.  That's right at the tipping point between easily lifting a speaker on a stand and struggling to get it up in the air.

For cabinets that stay on the ground it's much less of an issue.  Since I never lift my subs, an added 10 or 20 pounds won't make a huge difference for me.  However, one thing to consider with the heavier magnet is that is more mass bouncing around inside the cabinet.  A bump on the road would be more likely to throw a heavy magnet out of alignment versus a light magnet.  With a well designed spider this shouldn't be an issue, but is certainly part of the consideration.

But the SRX712 is smaller than the STX812. The 812 is much more solid built.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »

But the SRX712 is smaller than the STX812. The 812 is much more solid built.

Really?  The 712 is smaller, but I can't imagine it being built much more "solid" than it already is.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »

Really?  The 712 is smaller, but I can't imagine it being built much more "solid" than it already is.

The word I would use is "denser."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.