ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How bright can LEDs be?  (Read 2554 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
How bright can LEDs be?
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »

How bright can LEDs be?

A lot of people complain that it is hard to see the indicators on a digital mixer when used outdoors. Well I have had the exact same problem and sometimes even worse seeing them on an analog mixer outdoors. But usually on an analog mixer there is a physical button that you can (not always easily) tell if it is up or down. With digital you are really relying on being able to see the indicators.

Are LEDs just not capable of being bright enough? Every digital mixer that I have used to the best of my knowledge has the ability to change the intensity of the indicators and it is usually a separate control from any other. You don’t want it to be too bright when used indoors but they never seem to be bright enough outdoors. There is or was one analog console that used blue lights as indicators that indoors they were just too bright and there wasn’t any way to turn them down. That wasn’t good and it was the only thing I didn’t like about the mixer.

So why are the LED indicators not bright enough? Is it too expensive to use brighter LEDs or are they not made as bright as they would need to be? Or do the manufactures not realize these products are used in sunlight situations where it is critical that we be able to see the LEDs and we can’t?

I don’t want any discussion about tents, I always use one because I don’t want to get sun burned and I want to be prepared in case of a popup shower. But even with a tent it is difficult to see the LED indicators. That is until the sun goes down and then I many times need to turn down the intensity of the panel lights. I have even turned down the monitor indoors when the house lights all go out. On one console I used the external monitor had no overall intensity control there was just separate R/G/B controls so I turned them down one at a time.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: How bright can LEDs be?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:18:16 AM »

LEDs can be very bright.  Car headlight brightness if you want... but they are large and have heatsinks.

However, it should be possible to run them bright enough to see in bright sunlight.

Steve.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:23:02 PM »

It comes down to cost.  The cost to put in brighter LEDs that are visible in sunlight are more expensive.  But the real cost would be in creating an LED that has enough dimming range that it would be dim enough for use in a dark environment without being too bright. Since MOST of the time mixers aren't going to be in direct sunlight, they create LEDs that work in that environment as the priority.
Brian Jojade

Nikhil Mulay

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:47:10 AM »

It's definitely possible to have LEDs with enough dimming range.
  I use Sound Devices recorders for location sound recording sometimes and the LED metering on those can be seriously bright in direct sunlight. They will also dim down quite a bit to be very unobtrusive in the dark.
  Ofcourse mixers will have a lot more LEDs used but im sure its possible.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »

It's definitely possible to have LEDs with enough dimming range.
  I use Sound Devices recorders for location sound recording sometimes and the LED metering on those can be seriously bright in direct sunlight. They will also dim down quite a bit to be very unobtrusive in the dark.
  Ofcourse mixers will have a lot more LEDs used but im sure its possible.

Never said it wasn't possible.  However, the cost for implementing LEDs with larger dimming ranges is the issue.  Unlike an incandescent lamp, the actual dimming that can be done with an LED by using a simple resistor is pretty limited.  To get the light to appear dimmer, pulse width modulation must be used to turn on and off the light for short periods of time so the overall brightness is less.  While technology has made this possible fairly inexpensively, it can definitely add up when you're working with a large number of LEDs.
Brian Jojade

Steve M Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »

PWM of LEDs is easy.  Switch them individually with transistors in the cathode connection and supply them with a common PWM source to the anodes.

Steve.

Nikhil Mulay

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:39:16 PM »

Ya, that's what I was thinking. Since it's a global control for brightness of all the LEDs on the console, you use a common source.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 04:03:30 PM »

Unlike an incandescent lamp, the actual dimming that can be done with an LED by using a simple resistor is pretty limited.  To get the light to appear dimmer, pulse width modulation must be used

I don't agree with this.  It's very easy to vary the brightness of an LED by controlling the current passing through it.  This can be done either with PWM or linearly with a current source or even just a resistor.

A range of 0.5mA to 30mA will give a good range of brightness with most LEDs.

Steve.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »

Some (most) LEDs are very directional.  In bright sunlight you may need to be right over the board to get optimal angle.  You could jack up the back of the board with monitor angle adjustment lumber so it's easier to see.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.