ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WiFi solution for personal listening system  (Read 7463 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: WiFi solution for personal listening system
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 03:33:23 PM »

Concurrent. We initially tried no sound that lasted about 10 minutes until people started saying, "I love that song why can't we hear the sound?"

With three different feeds its unrealistic to have them playing the audio in the same room, as you have found out. How realistic is it to expect people to tune in with personal devices? If it will only be one or two, it may not be worth the effort to even research this. Unlike the airport, the people in your narthex know each other and will likely find visiting preferable to everyone being zombified into their personal mobile devices.

Or you choose ONE feed to play audibly. Rotate between the feeds each week.

You may not be able to please all the people all the time. You can please all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time. But sometimes it's just easier to upset all of the people all of the time.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:47:43 PM »

For some reason I missed what you were trying to do.  Now that I am on the same page I offer you a free solution:

1 - Have your local HTML guy hack you up a simple mobile web page to choose from three streaming URL's

2 - Take an old PC and load your favorite distro of Linux (Windows workstation is not reliable enough for streaming, Windows servers are pigs at the trough with system resources)

3 - Install an audio card with 3 analog inputs (or two audio cards)

4 - Run three instances of icecast servers.  I would use a 128k MP3 stream.  It will work on all devices. 

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 06:27:06 PM »

With three different feeds its unrealistic to have them playing the audio in the same room, as you have found out. How realistic is it to expect people to tune in with personal devices? If it will only be one or two, it may not be worth the effort to even research this. Unlike the airport, the people in your narthex know each other and will likely find visiting preferable to everyone being zombified into their personal mobile devices.

Or you choose ONE feed to play audibly. Rotate between the feeds each week.

You may not be able to please all the people all the time. You can please all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time. But sometimes it's just easier to upset all of the people all of the time.

Agreed most people are standing around in fellowship drinking coffees but it only takes two who WANT to hear to start a volume war. If we can organize this solution interested people will be able to listen without bugging everyone else.

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 06:51:16 PM »

For some reason I missed what you were trying to do.  Now that I am on the same page I offer you a free solution:

1 - Have your local HTML guy hack you up a simple mobile web page to choose from three streaming URL's

2 - Take an old PC and load your favorite distro of Linux (Windows workstation is not reliable enough for streaming, Windows servers are pigs at the trough with system resources)

3 - Install an audio card with 3 analog inputs (or two audio cards)

4 - Run three instances of icecast servers.  I would use a 128k MP3 stream.  It will work on all devices. 

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk

I tried Icecast it has ridiculous latency, somewhere in the 10 second plus range. Anybody know of something like this for real time streaming, even if it is a resource hog? Hardware is so cheap I will get three boxes and dedicate one to handling each stream.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 12:45:42 AM »

I tried Icecast it has ridiculous latency, somewhere in the 10 second plus range. Anybody know of something like this for real time streaming, even if it is a resource hog? Hardware is so cheap I will get three boxes and dedicate one to handling each stream.

Glad you tried it, did you use the Linux version? 

Also you need to turn burst-on-connect on and lower the buffer to the lowest setting.  You can get sub 500ms latency this way.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 11:16:03 AM »

Glad you tried it, did you use the Linux version? 

Also you need to turn burst-on-connect on and lower the buffer to the lowest setting.  You can get sub 500ms latency this way.

Linux and at the low buffer settings latency drops but then the system starts randomly rebuffering.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 11:24:18 PM »

Sorry it didn't work out for you.  You checked that setting I mentioned? 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »

Sorry it didn't work out for you.  You checked that setting I mentioned?
Yes and latency was still many multiples of what could be called usable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.