ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WiFi solution for personal listening system  (Read 7461 times)

Bob L. Wilson

WiFi solution for personal listening system
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »

We have added screens to our foyer and reception areas to display ongoing services as people come in and socialize before the next services. Volume wars have broken out like it was a sports bar as people turn up the traditional and then the family and then the contemporary services each in turn so "they can hear". I saw the Listen LS-PL-10 in action for the first time not long ago and something similar would be perfect for our situation but the cost is tough to swallow. It seems to me that there has to be a kludge to stream three channels over WiFi. Anybody ever setup their own single channel WiFi streaming? For use as an ALS or what? How did you do it? What equipment did you find worked well? What app on the receiving devices? Android and iCult functionality?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: WiFi solution for personal listening system
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »

Hi, Bob.  Nice to see you back.

A quick Google search turned up the following:

http://www.howtogeek.com/118075/how-to-stream-videos-and-music-over-the-network-using-vlc/

Not at all sure if this would suffice, but it's a start.

Good luck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »

Hi, Bob.  Nice to see you back.

A quick Google search turned up the following:

http://www.howtogeek.com/118075/how-to-stream-videos-and-music-over-the-network-using-vlc/

Not at all sure if this would suffice, but it's a start.

Good luck.

Good to be back after another long summer away from home. Here is to hoping lower oil prices takes the frenzy out of the market for next summer. Lots of options out there for streaming most including VLC introduce an unacceptable amount of latency. I was hoping someone on here had tried a few so I wouldn't have to do this the hard way.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »

Good to be back after another long summer away from home. Here is to hoping lower oil prices takes the frenzy out of the market for next summer. Lots of options out there for streaming most including VLC introduce an unacceptable amount of latency. I was hoping someone on here had tried a few so I wouldn't have to do this the hard way.

Yup, latency is a killer here...especially synching with video.

I doubt that any smartphone app won't introduce latency, and that latency will differ from device to device.  I would guess that some sort of "museum self-guided tour" system would be acceptable using individual FM receivers.

But that's a lot of gear to buy...and to maintain and secure.

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »

Yup, latency is a killer here...especially synching with video.

I doubt that any smartphone app won't introduce latency, and that latency will differ from device to device.  I would guess that some sort of "museum self-guided tour" system would be acceptable using individual FM receivers.

But that's a lot of gear to buy...and to maintain and secure.
Right we could buy three old Williams or Telex 72MHz hearing assist systems but our welcome desk would be overwhelmed with the hardware hassle. The Listen Technologies WiFi server setup I listened to in an airport had latency so low through my Galaxy S5 and earbuds that even staring at a news anchors lips I could not detect any delay.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:46:07 PM »

The Listen Technologies WiFi server setup I listened to in an airport had latency so low through my Galaxy S5 and earbuds that even staring at a news anchors lips I could not detect any delay.

That's good to know, but what was the veracity level......

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »

That's good to know, but what was the veracity level......

It was Fox so I could detect lots of lies but no latency.

Chris Penny

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:27:39 AM »

Firstly, is there actually a need to feed audio to the screens? i.e. Is just a visual indication of what is happening sufficient, or is the space also serving as overflow? 

Also can you just confirm are these services concurrent or sequential?

Sound Guy
Gymea Baptist Church
Sydney, Australia
www.gymeabaptist.org.au

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »

In my opinion if a parent is interested and attending a service they could tap into a children liturgy and watch and listen to the area with video and audio to ensure the child is not a problem / or safe.   This would be an option I would like to see at church to also allow me to have a discussion with the child on what was taught.

I had one child out of four that had a seizure disorder and would have felt more comfort with the children liturgy as he was attending. 

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »

Firstly, is there actually a need to feed audio to the screens? i.e. Is just a visual indication of what is happening sufficient, or is the space also serving as overflow? 

Also can you just confirm are these services concurrent or sequential?
Concurrent. We initially tried no sound that lasted about 10 minutes until people started saying, "I love that song why can't we hear the sound?"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.