ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long 12 Gauge Runs  (Read 8763 times)

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
Re: Long 12 Gauge Runs
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 08:14:17 PM »

I sure hope to crap that those amps are not plugged in to that 2000/3000VA SurgeX unit...
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 08:38:38 PM »

I sure hope to crap that those amps are not plugged in to that 2000/3000VA SurgeX unit...

Nope, that's for all the digital snake stuff and BSS Blu-100 processor, plus 12 channels of RF receivers.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 10:45:52 PM »

Sooo code only requires 14 awg on 15 amp breakers-are they running that far on #14?

Easy to trip might depend on the breaker brand-there are some I no longer install, because I actually want them to trip when they should (At least with my electrician hat on-not so much when I am doing FOH!)
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »

Sooo code only requires 14 awg on 15 amp breakers-are they running that far on #14?

Yeah, I didn't get a chance to open up the receptacles to see what was actually run, but the plans call for 12 gauge. Of course, the plans called for 20 amp breakers as well so that didn't go as planned either. I'm going to leave it in place until I do my room tune next week and get a little thump happening (4 ohm double 18" sub in bridge mode, so effectively a pair of 2-ohm loads). Should be fun tripping the breakers a few times. Good thing they put a UPS on the digital console. But, of course, they forgot to put a UPS on the digital stage box so I had to remind them. Everyone seems to forget a UPS for the stage box power supply...  >:(

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 08:28:07 AM »

This installation get's even wonkier... I took a closer look at the main panel feeding my two dedicated outlets, and they turn out to be 15 amp breakers, not 20 amp as specified. Also, looking at the install drawings I see that most of the amplifiers are wired for 2 ohm speaker loads. See a pic of the bottom of the rack below. Yikes... :o
6 of ANY power amp on 2 15A circuits, loaded to 2 ohms ??
It looks to me like "someone" forgot to read a spec sheet (or 2)
The only thump you're gonna hear is the breakers jumping out of the way of the oncoming freight train......
Me, I'd be requesting a sub-panel for the amp-rack.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »

6 of ANY power amp on 2 15A circuits, loaded to 2 ohms ??
It looks to me like "someone" forgot to read a spec sheet (or 2)
The only thump you're gonna hear is the breakers jumping out of the way of the oncoming freight train......
Me, I'd be requesting a sub-panel for the amp-rack.

My point exactly. I've put in a request for a 60-amp/240-volt sub-panel with an over-sized feeder to make up for the voltage drop from the 250 ft run. Would have been a lot cheaper and easier if they had hired me 3 months ago to review the design before the wiring was put in. The installer wanted to hire me months ago, but the "designer" said he had it covered. Now the installer (and the church) has to live with the results. 

Oh well, pay me now, or pay me more later... ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.