ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD player upgrade  (Read 7184 times)

Stephen Swaffer

DVD player upgrade
« on: October 19, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »

Any suggestions on a decent multi format DVD player?  We have been working on upgrading our media and decided to go with an iMac-but they no longer have optical drives in them. We have been using a consumer DVD player for years, but too often get handed odd formats by visiting missionaries, etc.  Primarily will be used for that purpose-don't really need a lot of bells and whistles just something that will play most anything we feed it.
Steve Swaffer

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: DVD player upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:10:39 AM »

External player for the computer?
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:13:22 AM »

Stephen,

I recommend you go for a Blu-Ray player...preferably one from a coupe of years ago (new old stock?). They should still have the Component video outputs on them active at 720p; newer models are only allowed to output analog video at 480p, I believe.

Also, what is your setup - how do you plan to interface the player into your setup? Denon/Marantz Professional have a number of units.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:36:18 AM »

I got an external USB DVD player/recorder for our mac mini. It's our main projection computer. I also recently purchased a Sony refurb Blu-Ray player for under $50 on Amazon. It's used with a TV we have in the basement for various studies.

I got both for under $100. I think the Mac Mini one is a Samsung and was $40.

Kyle

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »

Right now its very basic-we have VGA and composite run to projector.  We only use an unmanned video feed to nursery-not sure where we will go in the future with distro in the building though that is something we will do at some point. 

I have considered an external  drive on the iMac and that may be the best way-but in a case like our missions conference where we have 10-12 visiting missionaries and sometimes videos are in hand last minute it is nice to have a separate device to preview while service is going on so I know exact time, etc.  So looking for options.

Perhaps my terminology was off-not so much concerned with blu ray, as with the ability to play data DVDs with mp4s, or picture cds.  You would think someone traveling from church to church would pick a common format for their presentation, but sometimes I am not sure they even know what format their media is in.
Steve Swaffer

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 11:30:35 PM »

If you are doing a lot of uprezing as you mentioned the Oppo gear has some of the best processing in the business.

You can pick up an older one with unlocked component outputs for around $400 on Flea Bay.

They still stock rack mount kits even for the older ones.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:33 AM »

Right now its very basic-we have VGA and composite run to projector.  We only use an unmanned video feed to nursery-not sure where we will go in the future with distro in the building though that is something we will do at some point. 

I have considered an external  drive on the iMac and that may be the best way-but in a case like our missions conference where we have 10-12 visiting missionaries and sometimes videos are in hand last minute it is nice to have a separate device to preview while service is going on so I know exact time, etc.  So looking for options.

Perhaps my terminology was off-not so much concerned with blu ray, as with the ability to play data DVDs with mp4s, or picture cds.  You would think someone traveling from church to church would pick a common format for their presentation, but sometimes I am not sure they even know what format their media is in.

Probably a second computer with VLC would be the best option given that you have a variety of formats to deal with. You could copy the video files onto the second machine from whatever media they're on(CD, DVD, Flash Drive, Etc...), check them out, and then send them over your network to the main machine for playback along with notes on where to start/stop. Or if you have a switcher of some sort just play the que'd up file from the second machine. Not as simple as you are wanting but this is the most versatile option; it wouldn't take much of a machine to do this, anything made in the Windows Vista era(2006 or 2007) or later would do the trick.

Also adding an external drive to the main machine would probably be a good idea for when you need simple DVD playback.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »

Bit of a topic swerve, but I have not been impressed with VLC.  That said, I am using a PC running XP (lots of reasons I did not change-mainly stubborn-but XP did everything I needed, I refused to upgrade for upgrading sake!) but it is a fast quad core and even using multiple tracks on cakewalk seems to just be coasting along-is this why I find VLC lacking?  Last missions conference I was handed a DVD after the service started (yeah but beyond my control) DVD player rejected it, so I played on VLC  with a brief preview, but it hung mid-presentation for 5 to 10 very long seconds...
Steve Swaffer

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »

Bit of a topic swerve, but I have not been impressed with VLC.  That said, I am using a PC running XP (lots of reasons I did not change-mainly stubborn-but XP did everything I needed, I refused to upgrade for upgrading sake!) but it is a fast quad core and even using multiple tracks on cakewalk seems to just be coasting along-is this why I find VLC lacking?  Last missions conference I was handed a DVD after the service started (yeah but beyond my control) DVD player rejected it, so I played on VLC  with a brief preview, but it hung mid-presentation for 5 to 10 very long seconds...

Weird. I've never had any issues with VLC on any machine I've used it on. Simply put it's played everything I've ever thrown at it with no issues. I would suspect that the newer versions are optimized for  Windows 7 and above so maybe XP was the problem; I don't believe I've used it on XP before. BTW you should really upgrade if you're using the machine online; with Microsoft not supporting it anymore the risk of a nasty bug being exploited is very high. And no an anti-virus + firewall isn't enough.

Sent from my Moto X(XT1053) using Tapatalk

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:25:03 AM »

Computer does seem the best solution if you need to playback DVDs, USB memory sticks, SD cards, etc. I have also been having problems with VLC, however. Win 7, wav 16/44 and 24/44 music files. VLC 2.1.4 and 2.1.5 both make a brief but loud noise at the beginning and end of most audio files. Other players like foobar 2000 v 1.3.1 or DAWs playing wav files don't make the noise. Also the sound quality is very much worse on some audio songs played on VLC, loudness is uneven and clarity varies from one second to the next. Some videos play ok, others have uneven loudness like the audio. I did not have problems with earlier versions of VLC.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:25:03 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.