ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: System DSP Question  (Read 7717 times)

Bob L. Wilson

Re: System DSP Question
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »

Fundamentally I agree with the OPs initial inclination that the retail price of the latest processors rarely represents a sound value proposition.  I think his and most peoples mistake is proposing to substitute Y for X without understanding/detailing what role X plays in the system. I would argue that there are always substitutes so there is definitely a Y that can replace X whether that Y will ultimately be more cost effective for the church than X depends on many factors that can not be known without more information.

As an aside I find most integrators tend to stick to one or sometimes two brands of system processors to control their own costs related to acquiring/maintaining knowledge of capabilities and programming/setup. Most if pushed will admit there are other brands they believe to be equally capable/reliable but they don't have extensive personal experience with them.

jason misterka

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »

As an aside I find most integrators tend to stick to one or sometimes two brands of system processors to control their own costs related to acquiring/maintaining knowledge of capabilities and programming/setup. Most if pushed will admit there are other brands they believe to be equally capable/reliable but they don't have extensive personal experience with them.

This.

And I completely understand.  They have to meet dealer minimums. May have had to attend special training sessions for the more complex systems, have to have multiple service technicians available with proper training if trouble arise. Need to manage and protect clients files, manage and update firmware and software, etc etc etc.

My take is this.  If the design is a "semi-portable" speaker-on-stick rig then a DR PA may be acceptable.  Certainly not my favorite.   If this is for a system that will be mounted, and possibly integrated with other systems now or maybe in the future (for instance a feed to the nursery, a tie in to the kitchen, a panel with a preset for movie night, etc) then there are a million reasons to use the more capable processor.

You would be surprised how complex even the most straight forward church systems can become when you begin discussing variables.

Jason

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »

Ivan you have far more experience in this area than me, I just feel that the OP should ask whoever wrote the proposal to explain the processor choice.  If they can't then there might be a problem.  As you say the dbx may be sufficient but we would be speculating.  Theoretically the installer should know and be able to talk to their client about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know about the PA 2, but the original driverack PA did not have a GUI or a way to store the settings on a computer.

This can be very important in the event of a failure in which the DSP would need to be replaced.

It is MUCH easier if you can just dump a new file into it, rather than have to write down all the settings and then enter them one at a time by hand.

When I was in the install side of things we kept a file that had all the customers DSP settings in it.  So if something needed to be replaced-it was easy to do.  Plus we could go look at the settings any time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jamie Introcaso

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »

Well, thanks again everyone. I am beginning to see the advantages of the Biamp product. Again, I think that familiarity, in addition to my inherent distrust of sales folk, caused me to favor the DriveRack series. I have read these forums for many years, but never had the opportunity to use it as a direct resource like this. It has been super helpful and now I have gotten over my fear of posting questions here.

Jamie

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 02:51:04 PM »

"The DBX". That is like saying the Ford. Come on, DBX is a brand with many products, even in the system processor space. Heck, there are lots of other brand DSPs comparable to various DBX models. So, work the requirements before discussing the solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 03:35:42 PM »

"The DBX". That is like saying the Ford. Come on, DBX is a brand with many products, even in the system processor space.

Actually no, dbx is a brand name.

Mac

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »

Actually no, dbx is a brand name.

Mac

Oh, lower case is the brand... My bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Don Sullivan

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 10:42:41 AM »

The Nexia ( and Audia ) are far more flexible and forward thinking. The extra inputs can be used for things you may not consider but might happen in the life of your church. Here is only one:
Use an extra input as a mic pre-amp, hard wired to a dedicated stage plug.  Connect an external control panel or control point to allow the system to be configured as a "single mic - (no-music) pa system requiring no operator, and already EQed for that mic. As far as I know, the Drive Rack does not have the ability to take switch inputs and recall presets, but I've seen plenty of permanent installs where a room goes form one mode to another by rotating a wall mounted switch connected to an Audia or Nexia. As your church grows ( as I hope it does) the Nexia will give you more options and expansion capabilities. I would not hesitate to go that route.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 10:42:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.