ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: System DSP Question  (Read 7718 times)

Jamie Introcaso

System DSP Question
« on: October 16, 2014, 10:42:52 PM »

Hi all,

I am looking for some input to a question I have about system dsp units. I am on the AV committee for our church's new building. I come from 15 years in running sound for country/rock acts on a regional/small national act level, but am new to HOW sound. The initial proposal called for the Biamp Nexia SP unit. In looking to be a good steward of the church's money and also achieve a high quality of sound, I began to look into the dbx Driverack units. What am I missing on what the Nexia offers that I could not find in the Driverack units? I personally have more experience with using the Driverack units. Am I favoring familiarity over quality here. Thanks in advance for any input or perspective anyone can offer.

Jamie Introcaso

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: System DSP Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:12:09 PM »

Hi all,

I am looking for some input to a question I have about system dsp units. I am on the AV committee for our church's new building. I come from 15 years in running sound for country/rock acts on a regional/small national act level, but am new to HOW sound. The initial proposal called for the Biamp Nexia SP unit. In looking to be a good steward of the church's money and also achieve a high quality of sound, I began to look into the dbx Driverack units. What am I missing on what the Nexia offers that I could not find in the Driverack units? I personally have more experience with using the Driverack units. Am I favoring familiarity over quality here. Thanks in advance for any input or perspective anyone can offer.

Jamie Introcaso

The Nexia SP is a far more flexible and powerful unit than the Driverack.  I personally find the Driverack units to be very limited in their capability but, if this is only a dedicated speaker processor, the DBX may be all that you need.
You will have to consider what function the DSP needs to serve in order to know for sure if one is more suited. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 11:31:27 PM »

Which driverack are you looking into?

Nexias are open architecture. Meaning you can do any processing you want, in any order.

The drive racks are fixed processing, so you are stuck with the signal flow they give you. I wouldn't consider anything less then the 4800 though, which is now discontinued.

Personally, the nexia is a more capable unit. But it's a little bit of apples and oranges here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:21:42 AM »

Hi all,

Jamie Introcaso
As others have said-the nexia is MUCH more flexible.  I really like it.

HOWEVER-that does not mean that it is any better for YOUR particular job.

A driverack may do just fine.  Or not.  And it depends on which "drive rack".  MOS people use the term "driverack" and they have no idea what particular model they are talking about.

What you are asking is something like-what is better a Ford or a Chevy Corvette?  You haven't said what ford but you kinda narrowed down the Corvette.

There are several different versions of the Nexia-some of which do lots of things no driverack can do.

Specifics (as to actual usage in a particular situation) ARE important

WIthout knowing what the rest of the system is, what it is looking to do, the control needed and so forth, there is no way to even begin to think that one unit is any "better" than the other.

What is better- a sports car or a pickup truck?  It depends on what you are trying to do. 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jamie Introcaso

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:46:13 PM »

As others have said-the nexia is MUCH more flexible.  I really like it.

HOWEVER-that does not mean that it is any better for YOUR particular job.

A driverack may do just fine.  Or not.  And it depends on which "drive rack".  MOS people use the term "driverack" and they have no idea what particular model they are talking about.

What you are asking is something like-what is better a Ford or a Chevy Corvette?  You haven't said what ford but you kinda narrowed down the Corvette.

There are several different versions of the Nexia-some of which do lots of things no driverack can do.

Specifics (as to actual usage in a particular situation) ARE important

WIthout knowing what the rest of the system is, what it is looking to do, the control needed and so forth, there is no way to even begin to think that one unit is any "better" than the other.

What is better- a sports car or a pickup truck?  It depends on what you are trying to do.

Thank you for your input guys. I have been looking at the PA2 unit specifically. I have used some of the older dbx DriveRack units in the past(260, 220i). I would like to route all audio inputs through our mixer, so I don't really see what the other two inputs would be used for with the Nexia SP. Perhaps you guys could think of something I am overlooking. I do come from the rock band sound background, so incorporating some things from an AV point of view that are incorporated in a worship service I may be missing. The outputs we would have would be left/right tops/subs and delayed fills.

Jamie Introcaso

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »

I do come from the rock band sound background, so incorporating some things from an AV point of view that are incorporated in a worship service I may be missing. The outputs we would have would be left/right tops/subs and delayed fills.

If it was me, the inputs to the DSP would be L, R, Subs, Front fills, Delays. They would all be individual outputs from the mixer.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:00:28 PM »

Thank you for your input guys. I have been looking at the PA2 unit specifically. I have used some of the older dbx DriveRack units in the past(260, 220i). I would like to route all audio inputs through our mixer, so I don't really see what the other two inputs would be used for with the Nexia SP. Perhaps you guys could think of something I am overlooking. I do come from the rock band sound background, so incorporating some things from an AV point of view that are incorporated in a worship service I may be missing. The outputs we would have would be left/right tops/subs and delayed fills.

Jamie Introcaso
I don't know any details about the PA2, but the original PA was VERY VERY limited in what it could do (eq delay time etc).

You are talking about comparing a entry level-bottom of the barrell unit to a very sophisticated DSP.j  The NExia is not the most powerful one Biamp offers-but it offers many of the features (for the given inputs and outputs) of the more expensive ones.

Who says you have to use all the inputs?

But the PA may do what you need it to do.

I know with the original PA versions there was a very HARD turn off thump.  The Nexia does not have this.  Depending on the system, how it is turned on/off, this may or may not be an issue.

Yes a Chevette will get you to work, but a Camaro is a lot better.

You really are not comparing apple to apples, but apples or bananas, they will fill your belly.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:42:18 PM »

I'm going to ask a question that my divert the thread a little bit.  To the op - the vendor that have you the original proposal probably has a good reason for choosing the nexia over a drive rack.  Why don't you ask them why, the post their answer here.  If the answer is BS, then someone here will surely be able to see through it.  They have seen the room and no more about the intended install than we do.  The dbx may (not likely) be sufficient, it may not.  If you ask us which is better, it's the nexia.

Familiarity shouldn't matter to you.  That dsp should not ever get touched once installed and tuned by the vendor. I know enough about tuning a room to know I don't know enough.  If you know enough to tune a room with a permanent install system, I suspect you would already think the nexia was the right choice. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:19 AM »

If you ask us which is better, it's the nexia.

I agree with a general question of "which is better".

HOWEVER the DBX may do the intended job just fine.  There is a lot we don't know about this particular install.

Just because the Nexia can do all sorts of things the DBX cannot-does not mean it is better for the intended application.

And depending on the particular circumstances-the customer may not be able to realize any difference in performance.

In other cases the Nexia is a hands down clear winner-but for simple processing (within the limited capabilities of the DBX) the DBX may do the job just fine.

No reason to pay for "tools" you will never use.

Better is really only better for a particular usage.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:49:26 AM »

I agree with a general question of "which is better".

HOWEVER the DBX may do the intended job just fine.  There is a lot we don't know about this particular install.

Just because the Nexia can do all sorts of things the DBX cannot-does not mean it is better for the intended application.

And depending on the particular circumstances-the customer may not be able to realize any difference in performance.

In other cases the Nexia is a hands down clear winner-but for simple processing (within the limited capabilities of the DBX) the DBX may do the job just fine.

No reason to pay for "tools" you will never use.

Better is really only better for a particular usage.

Ivan you have far more experience in this area than me, I just feel that the OP should ask whoever wrote the proposal to explain the processor choice.  If they can't then there might be a problem.  As you say the dbx may be sufficient but we would be speculating.  Theoretically the installer should know and be able to talk to their client about it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:49:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 26 queries.