ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Continuing thread - Distro box.  (Read 22369 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Continuing thread - Distro box.
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »

Making a topic swerve -- does changing the NEMA 14-50P end to a CS 6365 end on an installed cord (such as on a Peavey Distro) invalidate the UL listing of the device?  I assume that a strict reading of the listing rules would note that because the device has been modified, it would no longer be considered a listed product (even if the CS 6365 end was UL listed).  I would hope the AHJ would not be concerned with such a modification, but I could imagine somebody raising an objection.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid.... Any thoughts?  Mark C.

Build an adapter cable... CS6365 to 14-50R.  Use a piece of 4/4 SO, SOOW, etc and make it about 6ft long.  You want it long enough so that the 14-50 isn't hanging in the air when you plug into a generator.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 11:53:42 AM »

I came across this online and was wondering if it would do the trick. I would need to purchase/ build a twist lock adaptor for supply.
After pricing up the parts to build one myself - coupled with the fact it will not have UL cert, this - or similar -might be my best bet .
I don't really want to rack mount a distro because I switch out my racks for different applications. This would be simple for me.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434713_200434713
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »

Sorry to sound so needy but I rely on you guys to keep me on track when it comes to safety/compliancy issues like this.

This one look like it might work too.

http://www.amazon.com/Temporary-Power-Design-Powder-Coated-Distribution/dp/B0083POSQ6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AMEF9AFHKPM8JSPBG8F
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 12:55:53 PM »

I came across this online and was wondering if it would do the trick. I would need to purchase/ build a twist lock adaptor for supply.
After pricing up the parts to build one myself - coupled with the fact it will not have UL cert, this - or similar -might be my best bet .
I don't really want to rack mount a distro because I switch out my racks for different applications. This would be simple for me.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434713_200434713

This design is the standard for generator twist lock service. Build a Range Plug to CS6364 adapter, 10' or so, allows you to use it anywhere.

The only thing that would bug me about the model you listed here is that it's a 4 circuit box. The 50A inbound feed gives you 50A on each leg, for 100A/120V total. With a 4-circuit box, presumably 2 circuits on each leg, you're only going to have 40A per leg max capacity. And that's running them full tilt boogie. Now granted you're not going to want to run a circuit full out anyways, which is why I would prefer:

http://www.amazon.com/CEP-6506-GU-Temporary-Distribution-Spider/dp/B0012OUTNQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=10HWAH7W7EFNEJX9PBWS

6 circuits, 20A each, but three on each leg. Much more flexible. Here's a circuit for SL PA, SR PA, Backline, FOH, Monitors, and one more for the wife and kids. It also has a 250V/30A (L6-30) outlet, which I have seen local companies retrofit for an L14-30 outlet to be more compatible with PA company needs as opposed to construction site needs.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »

This design is the standard for generator twist lock service. Build a Range Plug to CS6364 adapter, 10' or so, allows you to use it anywhere.

The only thing that would bug me about the model you listed here is that it's a 4 circuit box. The 50A inbound feed gives you 50A on each leg, for 100A/120V total. With a 4-circuit box, presumably 2 circuits on each leg, you're only going to have 40A per leg max capacity. And that's running them full tilt boogie. Now granted you're not going to want to run a circuit full out anyways, which is why I would prefer:

http://www.amazon.com/CEP-6506-GU-Temporary-Distribution-Spider/dp/B0012OUTNQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=10HWAH7W7EFNEJX9PBWS

6 circuits, 20A each, but three on each leg. Much more flexible. Here's a circuit for SL PA, SR PA, Backline, FOH, Monitors, and one more for the wife and kids. It also has a 250V/30A (L6-30) outlet, which I have seen local companies retrofit for an L14-30 outlet to be more compatible with PA company needs as opposed to construction site needs.

-Ray

But now I would have to invest in twist lock to straight blade adaptors - no? They can get expensive and untidy.. i.e. hanging pigtails.  Would the 2nd box I linked to be a better option in that regard? ……
I'm getting closer to just purchasing the Peavey Distro as Josh mentioned earlier, install it in its own 2 u rack and be done with it. Although I was trying to avoid a rack mount box,  at least it has the necessary circuits per leg and I can just plug straight in with my nema/iec cables.- $448 right now on Amazon.

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 02:58:54 PM »

But now I would have to invest in twist lock to straight blade adaptors - no? They can get expensive and untidy.. i.e. hanging pigtails.  Would the 2nd box I linked to be a better option in that regard? ……
I'm getting closer to just purchasing the Peavey Distro as Josh mentioned earlier, install it in its own 2 u rack and be done with it. Although I was trying to avoid a rack mount box,  at least it has the necessary circuits per leg and I can just plug straight in with my nema/iec cables.- $448 right now on Amazon.

A local sound co and good friend of mine uses a spider box type like the ones you linked earlier and they are real happy with them. I do suggest that you get 1 with six 20a circuits instead of 4 though.
I prefer the rack mount thing so I have 2 of these http://www.lexproducts.com/products/entertainment/powerrack-rolling-distribution-racks/enclosed-rack-mount-power-distribution/3ru-rack-mount-power-distribution-50-amp-california-style-locking-in-thru-t - 1 in each amp rack.
Mounting 1 in its own 3U rack would also be very cool if you can find a rack that is very shallow - these are only about 5" deep. That is fine for my amps because they just stay plugged in but I had to get 2 TrippLite rackmount plug strips to make the other 2 circuits more easily accessible.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »

Debbie, I'm pretty sure that the spider box is made in "U" ground version, for NEMA 5-15 and 5-20 plugs. That particular vendor might not carry it, but I have seen them. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »

Debbie, I'm pretty sure that the spider box is made in "U" ground version, for NEMA 5-15 and 5-20 plugs. That particular vendor might not carry it, but I have seen them. Mark C.

Yes, you can get them with lots of different in/oy/circuit configurations. Lex has a bunch in both spiderbox style and rack-mount - http://www.lexproducts.com/products/entertainment/powerrack-rolling-distribution-racks/enclosed-rack-mount-power-distribution

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »

I'm getting closer to just purchasing the Peavey Distro as Josh mentioned earlier, install it in its own 2 u rack and be done with it. Although I was trying to avoid a rack mount box,  at least it has the necessary circuits per leg and I can just plug straight in with my nema/iec cables.

Hi Debbie,

I keep mine in its own 12RU rack. The Distro is in the top two rack spaces and I spool up my extra feeder cable down below. I also replaced the stock inlet cable with one that is more like 25 feet long. All this cable and an extra outlet and breakers all just rides in the rack with the Distro. It makes for a handy little package when I need to bring my own power distribution.

I actually just used it last weekend for my annual Halloween Party. Because I had it, I was able to run separate circuits for each light tree and circuits for the blow-ups and the spot light. I have an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet box to plug it into.

The main point of this is that you should probably consider getting a rack larger than 2RU to put the thing in. It will give you more room to work.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »

But now I would have to invest in twist lock to straight blade adaptors - no?

You would not. The 6-20A circuits are all standard outlets. Typically a single outlet per circuit, but they are available with 2 outlets per circuit.

I do like RackPacks; use them in all of my racks, so I can just run one 30A/1๘ or 3๘ cable to a rack and call it a day. However, with a standard depth amprack, they are not easy to plug random extra things into them. So, you might want to consider getting something like this that you can mount the pack into, and still be able to access the outlets easily.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 04:28:23 PM ยป

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.