ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Continuing thread - Distro box.  (Read 22372 times)

jasonfinnigan

Re: Continuing thread - Distro box.
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 08:34:13 PM »

Anything that doesn't look commercially made is an instant fail down here.

If it looks like you made it yourself, the day is over and everyone is going home early.

What kind of corrupt inspectors do you have? Somebody that had to make it, it matters weather it meets codes or not - not whom made it. I would take a guess there are plenty of products you can buy commercial made online (amazon, and ebay especially) that don't comply with all codes.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »

Hey Jason….how did you mount everything together???

There are 6 20a outlets. each on their own circuit.
there are 2 per side mounted on the panel and the boxes are mounted on the panel using two screws per side through mounting holes that can be knocked out on the panel. As well as 2 threaded gromtets in the holes for the wire per side and I believe we welded it in a couple spots for good measure.

The outlets are mounted boxes that are made of sheet metal its really meant for mounting multiples together for long strips of outlets on a wall. they take normal outlets you supply and there aren't any knock outs on them expect the backside which is what you mount on to the panel so there is no shock issue there. It's something similar to these raceways http://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/index~text~12996~path~product~part~12996~ds~dept~process~search?gclid=CjwKEAjw8O2hBRDKur2lseLW6C8SJAC-r1J3k7jjVTzFIMxYQs1rYBEKAcTLjVj8NZWAiiGRZZ5plBoCqpbw_wcB

but it has the mounts for the outlets in them. http://www.mrsupply.com/wiremold-steel-raceway-3000-series-duplex-receptacle-cover-g3043be.html

You will also need some of the cover for the ends. I put them in place with a screw to to prevent them from coming off. http://www.mrsupply.com/wiremold-steel-raceway-3000-series-raceway-cover-g3000ce.html

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »

The thing is you got two circuits going into one junction box. Which is fine by code unless there is more than 300volts potential between them.

But, all the grounds need to be tied together, and all the neutrals need to be separate.

If he had left out the fifth box, then the grounds could have been tied at the source. Basically he was just badly making a pair of extension cords with inline GFIs. This wasn't a distro. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 09:16:44 PM »

If he had left out the fifth box, then the grounds could have been tied at the source. Basically he was just badly making a pair of extension cords with inline GFIs. This wasn't a distro. 

Yeah Rob, I guess you are right - good description really...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »

There are 6 20a outlets. each on their own circuit.
there are 2 per side mounted on the panel and the boxes are mounted on the panel using two screws per side through mounting holes that can be knocked out on the panel. As well as 2 threaded gromtets in the holes for the wire per side and I believe we welded it in a couple spots for good measure.

The outlets are mounted boxes that are made of sheet metal its really meant for mounting multiples together for long strips of outlets on a wall. they take normal outlets you supply and there aren't any knock outs on them expect the backside which is what you mount on to the panel so there is no shock issue there. It's something similar to these raceways http://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/index~text~12996~path~product~part~12996~ds~dept~process~search?gclid=CjwKEAjw8O2hBRDKur2lseLW6C8SJAC-r1J3k7jjVTzFIMxYQs1rYBEKAcTLjVj8NZWAiiGRZZ5plBoCqpbw_wcB

but it has the mounts for the outlets in them. http://www.mrsupply.com/wiremold-steel-raceway-3000-series-duplex-receptacle-cover-g3043be.html

You will also need some of the cover for the ends. I put them in place with a screw to to prevent them from coming off. http://www.mrsupply.com/wiremold-steel-raceway-3000-series-raceway-cover-g3000ce.html

Thanks for the info and links Jason….Only if I feel I can do this SAFELY and to code, I might give it a go. Then I'd run it by someone qualified before I use it….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 11:02:15 PM »

I have a distro in my amp rack by the Amp Shop which is 30a 240v in and 4 circuits out. I think it cost less than $300 (way less than anything else in the rack).

So, doing it right isn't really that expensive at the lounge level.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »

The biggest problem with making something yourself is that you made it yourself.

Now don't get me wrong here, some people (perhaps even many people), are quite capable of building something safely for use in this situation. Lord knows I've built things like this before.

However, if you want to give any roaming inspector the warm fuzzies without literally electrically shocking him, show him that you have a power distribution setup that is listed by one of the testing labs. These labs are usually called either UL or ETL. The product can be described as UL Listed or ETL Listed and it will have some sort of marking on it to denote that it is a listed product.

For example, I have a Peavey Distro that I just love. It has a NEMA 14-50 "range" plug on it with six pairs of NEMA 5-20 outlets on the back. each pair of outlets is protected by a 20A magnetic circuit breaker. They do cost a bit more than the Amp Shop distros, but they are ETL Listed as you can see from the sticker on the back view. I have mine mounted in an SKB rack with all the feeder cable coiled up in the bottom of it. It is very handy and it works great!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Greg Morrison

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »

Debbie

The guy i freelance with has one of the PEAVEY Distro's  and they are cool

light weight, and passes canadian inspections from Ontario Hydro inspectors.

I'd consider one of these in a heartbeat

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 01:38:54 AM »

Making a topic swerve -- does changing the NEMA 14-50P end to a CS 6365 end on an installed cord (such as on a Peavey Distro) invalidate the UL listing of the device?  I assume that a strict reading of the listing rules would note that because the device has been modified, it would no longer be considered a listed product (even if the CS 6365 end was UL listed).  I would hope the AHJ would not be concerned with such a modification, but I could imagine somebody raising an objection.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid.... Any thoughts?  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »

Was it modified or just "repaired"-doubt the AHJ could tell the difference-no way to know without a manufacturers catalogue in hand.  That said , I did have an inspector fuss because I drilled a hole in the side of a 3R j box (plenty of 3R enclosures have KOs in the side-near the bottom where I drilled the hole.)  I pointed out that EMT is UL listed-but we sure don't install every piece as a straight 10 foot piece!  I should think that as long as the replacement plug is comparable-same number of poles/amp/volt rating it should be fine-be it NEMA to CS or straight to locking-but not every AHJ always uses common sense.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.