ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 channels for drums?  (Read 36782 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: 16 channels for drums?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »

If you're wanting to get people dancing, they are more important than the vocals.

So people won't dance if they can hear the vocals over the rest of the band?????  I understand your point, but I don't think drums are ever more important than the vocals.  That's just the way I mix and I have never noticed a problem with the band getting people to dance if they are playing dance material.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:34:27 AM by Chuck Simon »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »

If you're wanting to get people dancing, they are more important than the vocals.

A "beat" as in a rhythmic pattern is essential for the concept of "dancing".  To say drums are more important that vox, however, means that songs as we know them have no purpose.

I've never read of a non-drummer playing drums in the shower, but almost everyone has sung in the shower...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »

There is a guy here in Dayton that tried out for a little project I have going, went to his house and this is what he had.....

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 12:04:01 PM »

That's terrifying!

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 12:06:25 PM »

That's terrifying!

What funny is we are doing folk, acoustic type stuff.....sooooo haha!  This is for some of his other projects obviously, but as someone else mentioned he used to have to rent a uhaul to bring it to the gigs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »

There is a guy here in Dayton that tried out for a little project I have going, went to his house and this is what he had.....

Most of the drummers I've seen with a kit like that couldn't play it. All show, no go.

Some of the best drummers have small kits.

IMO

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »

Most of the drummers I've seen with a kit like that couldn't play it. All show, no go.

Some of the best drummers have small kits.

IMO

Agree 100% with this statement.  It makes my day when a band shows up with a 3 or 4 piece well tuned kit.  IME the big kits are rarely tuned properly and typically just don't give the band the sound they are actually looking for, but they look cool right  ::)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 12:57:58 PM »

What funny is we are doing folk, acoustic type stuff.....sooooo haha!  This is for some of his other projects obviously, but as someone else mentioned he used to have to rent a uhaul to bring it to the gigs.

Wow. That kind of kit must have a setup time measured in days, not hours...

David Parker

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »

So people won't dance if they can hear the vocals over the rest of the band?????  I understand your point, but I don't think drums are ever more important than the vocals.  That's just the way I mix and I have never noticed a problem with the band getting people to dance if they are playing dance material.
I've spent the past 5 years working with 3 cover bands that KEEP the dance floor packed. I ALWAYS make sure the lead vocals are clearly heard. I've never had anyone ask me to turn up the drums, but I've had plenty of folks ask me to turn up the lead vocals.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »

A "beat" as in a rhythmic pattern is essential for the concept of "dancing".  To say drums are more important that vox, however, means that songs as we know them have no purpose.

I've never read of a non-drummer playing drums in the shower, but almost everyone has sung in the shower...

That was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I think most people here understand the point. I've seen a few cover bands where the drummer could just as well have left them in their cases. I think it's a shame when any hard working musician is missing from the mix.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.