ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Input List - Tips and Recommendations on Order  (Read 9283 times)

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Input List - Tips and Recommendations on Order
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »

Monitor mixes: Are the items listed in order of importance? Also, Mix 1 has keys twice. He must really like keys.

"Can" is too ambiguous. I would change it to "will" throughout. You only have one channel assigned to the stereo DI anyway, and you should probably bring that Claw just in case.

Otherwise it looks really good and answers most of the important questions.

IMHO I would bring anything that I already have that's easy to transport (Claw, DIs, etc.) just make things easier for everyone. Things like that won't add any time to setup, yet they can save you a bit of time because you'll already know what to expect.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »

With the changes suggested by Milt and Lee, I'd be pretty happy.
If I were the conga player, I'd definitely supply my own claw - if it were my drum, I'd want something I know would work and not damage my drum.  That's me.

Offering mono on the keys - do you gain anything stereo? Lose anything mono? 

If you're looking to match up with a previously saved show/scene, you may want to specify which drum channel is assigned where.

Also, would the BE be expecting any groups/mutes set up?
Again, if I'm the engineer, the point is moot.

frank

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »

Thanks guys. Ac Gtr DI now marked as such, and while the keyboard player loves hearing himself, removed the double "keys" in mix one, and yes, they are added in order of importance. Added "will bring LP Claw."

On the keyboard, he's running Apple MainStage for his piano and other sounds, and usually runs it out of the mac into a DI. I use a Radial JDI when we're playing to mono merge his inputs. I also have the Peavey USB-DI, but he needs the USB outputs on his Macbook for his MIDI 88 key controller and a Korg nano controller he uses to control volume vs. having to go to the laptop and change things. Haven't tried putting both the keyboard and the controller on a USB merger, but may be worth it and then just always bring the Peavey, which does stereo and mono in 1 box.

Frank - for venues that have stereo and have channel count, it can be nice to have, but not critical. We could just specify mono and tell our keyboard player to bring a mini mixer to provide a mono signal of his stereo keyboard and organ. Come to think of it... will do that. He can then use the DI thru to patch to his SRM450 that he uses as a keyboard amp.

On previously saved show, our lineup shifts, so we prefer to give them a new one. For this show, we're support for the Spazmatics (will be a fun show) so it's the house drums and house bass amp; if we were bringing our own kit I'd spec out the individual mics (kick, snare, hat, OH) for the venue as we've done in the past.

Groups and mute - point is moot as we're only support and it's a 1 hour set.

Thanks for all of your help - very helpful! Off to AES to see new things.

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »

For shows that we don't provide a PA, we always provide a stage plot and an input list. For years, I started with drums, and then went SL - SR for instruments, and then SL-SR for vocals. "Current as of x/y/zzz" is always on there as well as my name, cell and email address if there are any questions.

Does this make sense, or for those of you who get input lists from bands, what order do you want them in? I could do SR-SL so it's left to right from FOH.

Any tips are appreciated to make this easier. We're starting to play more gigs outside of corp gigs, so want to ensure I'm making their job as easy as possible.

tjamls!

If Im running FOH, SR to SL (including toms) is how Id set it up regardless of the order given me in an input list. The only time I make it a point to follow a provided input list is if the band has a BE that will be running the board.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »

On the keyboard, he's running Apple MainStage for his piano and other sounds, and usually runs it out of the mac into a DI. I use a Radial JDI when we're playing to mono merge his inputs. I also have the Peavey USB-DI, but he needs the USB outputs on his Macbook for his MIDI 88 key controller and a Korg nano controller he uses to control volume vs. having to go to the laptop and change things. Haven't tried putting both the keyboard and the controller on a USB merger, but may be worth it and then just always bring the Peavey, which does stereo and mono in 1 box.

I doubt you'd have any trouble using a USB hub with the nano controller and keyboard controller. I would plug the USB-DI in direct just to be safe, but you could probably plug all three into a hub and just have one USB cable going to the laptop. I do wish Apple had seen fit to include more USB ports on their laptops... 2 just isn't quite enough.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »

I am a BE, and a Lounge level weekend warrior at that.  If I'm going to be mixing on someone else's rig, I prefer to let them set it up the way they want and I can make the adjustment.  I can learn where everything is in a couple minutes.  I bring board tape with (the real stuff, not masking tape) but rarely ever have needed it.  I'd rather it be as easy as possible for the provider to deal with us.  An input list and stage plot and they can integrate us with their rig however they want.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

I see the input list as just that, the list of inputs.

If a BE is going to mix, then the list should also include preferred channel assignments. I say "preferred" as it may not always be possible to do it exactly depending on the available gear.

If I am mixing, then I want to assign channels where it fits into my rig best for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.