ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another gig see new post: JTR Noesis and Orbit Shifter FOH  (Read 8456 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Another gig see new post: JTR Noesis and Orbit Shifter FOH
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »

Big show on Sunday.  The High Kings, one of the current top Irish trad singing groups out there.  The four lads, Finbarr Clancy, Brian Dunphy, Martin Furey and Darren Holden, all come from musical families-two of them from very well known families in the genre. 
They used up nineteen inputs for guitars, bozouki, banjo, keys, kick, whistle.
The theater was sold out, 658 seats, another twenty or so SRO.
FOH, a pair of JTR Noesis 3TX on top of a pair of JTR Orbit Shifter subs.  Powered by a pair of QSC PLX3602 with an Ashly Protea 4.24sp upstream.
Monitors, four of my BMS coaxial wedges Curtis List did the crossover for, powered by two more QSC PLX3602 and an Ashly processor.
Guest crew.  Vivien Casagrande is their BE.  Ronan the tech wizard-sorry, didn't get his last name.  Sharp guys, total pros.

QU24.  I think this was Vivien's first go at the QU, he said his usual desk when touring in Europe is the Midas digital.  He had a show file for a GLD or iLive, but couldn't get it to load into the QU.  I thought one of those formats was compatible?  Anyway, no problem, he built is setup from scratch and memory.  Only a few questions to me, and only a couple of quick visits to the manual.

Two hall reverbs loaded, one plate reverb, and a tap tempo effect.

By the third or fourth number in the show, folks were starting to give standing ovations.  The last few numbers and encore, folks were all up clapping straight through, having thoroughly enjoyed the show. 

Sound was great, never pushed past "Zero", balcony sounded good(not as good as the main floor obviously).  Plenty of sub for the kick and left hand of the keyboard(Roland VX88 piano/synth).

All in all, a great night and great sound.

Best regards,

JOhn
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:56:05 AM by John Halliburton »

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: JTR Noesis and Orbit Shifter FOH
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »

No grills on the 3TXs?

John Halliburton

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:44:06 PM »

No grills on the 3TXs?

Jeff's was waiting for a grill shipment when we met up a couple of weeks ago for the listening day event.  They do come with them if you purchase some.

Best regards,

John

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:56:16 AM »

John, Great review, wish I was there to enjoy that show. I'm still using my 2007 Growlers (4x) with the 3TXs, I can only imagine the improvement with the Shifters. I still feel it was the correct move giving up a pair of Qrx212s for the 3TXs, they are deceiving.

Nice clean stage there, what, no kick mic?!?! ... kidding.

(hey, we use almost the same gear, huh!)

Mike

John Halliburton

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »

...Qrx212s for the 3TXs, they are deceiving.

Nice clean stage there, what, no kick mic?!?! ... kidding.

(hey, we use almost the same gear, huh!)

Mike

We do have some similarity there.  This setup was actually underpowered by less than half-I'm looking into a pair of Macro i5000 or iTech 6000 for my main FOH rack to be up to snuff for this rig.  A bit more headroom.

I've used QRX regularly as well, since the owner of that kick drum has 12 or 14 of them-when I freelance for him, they're often on the ground as monitors and up on stands for FOH.  They are a decent speaker, but the 3TX is IMO, a better sound, and with the coax compression drive crossing over much lower(an octave), has some definite advantages.  I am pretty certain they both are pretty close in the loudness category though.

At 50lbs and much smaller footprint, the 3TX gets the nod.

That Recording Custom 22" has a B52 on a Shu internal mount.  XLR jack on the side of the shell.  Very sweet set up.

Best regards,

John

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »

<snip>  He had a show file for a GLD or iLive, but couldn't get it to load into the QU.  I thought one of those formats was compatible? <snip>
As far as I've read, the scenes and show files are compatible among the QU series - the 16, 24, and 32.  The effects "are from the GLD and iLive" series, according to A&H.  I could see in a quick reading where one might get the idea other things are cross platform compatible.

Sounds like a great night with some great folks on and off the stage.
frank

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »

They are a decent speaker, but the 3TX is IMO, a better sound, and with the coax compression drive crossing over much lower(an octave), has some definite advantages.  I am pretty certain they both are pretty close in the loudness category though.

At 50lbs and much smaller footprint, the 3TX gets the nod.

Agree, same SPL, but clearer on the top end, the EVs get that rounded middy sound when cranked, the 3TX seem to keep the upper end a bit more. Its nice to lose 30# in a speaker, just wish I could around the mid-section...

I to am thinking of reamping, QSC PL380 to replace PL236s, 30A plug ugggg, but I haven't the need yet.

Best,
Mike

John Halliburton

Re: Another gig see new post: JTR Noesis and Orbit Shifter FOH
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »

Had a gig in the noisy pub last night.  Brought the Noesis for a go at it.  First group on were this year's Octoberfest band(it's a dual themed evening combined with Irish music later).  Singer had her own wireless(lower line Shure, but it worked fine), except she held the mic by the ball most times, and would come off the stage to walk, shake, dance around out on the floor in front.  Surprisingly, that went well too. 
The photo is 3/5 of a group called One of the Girls.  Good local Irish/Americana/misc music.  The guys are all pro, actors and/or musicians.  Bass player is a sound dood, but he was working last night. ;>)
Happy to report the sound was fine, just tame that 100-300hz region that the room is notorious for, and everyone had a great time.  Shot's a little dark as far as the Noesis are concerned, hopefully you can see them on the Ultimate stands at either corner of the stage.

Oh, Jeff and I will be meeting tomorrow to pick up the grills.  He's talking about road shows or demos if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

John
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:11:57 AM by John Halliburton »

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 10:53:51 PM »

John, looks like that was at the IAHC?  Were you able to reach the last few rows of the balcony with the 3TX?

Last time I did a show there, I also used just two Orbit Shifters -- way more than enough.  I couldn't reach the balcony with ground-stacked tops (3TX didn't exist at the time), but a 6-hang EAW NTL720 worked perfectly.  I could get every seat in the place to within 3dB.

Best,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 10:53:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.