ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cisco Fiber GBIC Module Question  (Read 3488 times)

John Penkala

Cisco Fiber GBIC Module Question
« on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »

I'm putting together a redundant Dante network utilizing Cisco SG300 series managed switches recommended by Yamaha. So far it is working perfectly over Cat5e cable. I know very little about fiber and have to set up 8 of the 20 switches with Cisco GBIC modules and patch panels. My question is which fiber modules are you using for your switches? Any help is appreciated.

-JP

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Cisco Fiber GBIC Module Question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »

I'm putting together a redundant Dante network utilizing Cisco SG300 series managed switches recommended by Yamaha. So far it is working perfectly over Cat5e cable. I know very little about fiber and have to set up 8 of the 20 switches with Cisco GBIC modules and patch panels. My question is which fiber modules are you using for your switches? Any help is appreciated.

-JP

John, what type of fiber do you plan to use? That may dictate which GBIC you need (There is only one multimode GBIC IIRC). I have used the MM and the SM mode ones, both with no problems. You definitely get more distance and follow a closer to industry standard using single mode.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John Penkala

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »

John, what type of fiber do you plan to use? That may dictate which GBIC you need (There is only one multimode GBIC IIRC). I have used the MM and the SM mode ones, both with no problems. You definitely get more distance and follow a closer to industry standard using single mode.

David,
          Thanks for the reply.  We are using single mode fiber. I suspect I should go with one of the ones listed below. I'm just not sure which.

Cisco:

MGBBX1: 1000BASE-BX-20U
MGBLH1: 1000BASE-LH
MGBLX1: 1000BASE-LX

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »

David,
          Thanks for the reply.  We are using single mode fiber. I suspect I should go with one of the ones listed below. I'm just not sure which.

Cisco:

MGBBX1: 1000BASE-BX-20U
MGBLH1: 1000BASE-LH
MGBLX1: 1000BASE-LX
From this sheet: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/small-business-network-accessories/data_sheet_c78-552203.pdf

The difference is the expected distance.  The LX1 is 10km, the BX1 is 20km, the LH1 is 40km.  All are single mode 1310nm.

Unless you are really going longer than 10km, you should be using the LX1, as it's possible sometimes to overdrive the long-range fibre transceivers - they expect some loss in the cable, and if you're using the 40km version with 300' of fibre, that may be a problem.

John Penkala

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 11:20:38 AM »

From this sheet: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/small-business-network-accessories/data_sheet_c78-552203.pdf

The difference is the expected distance.  The LX1 is 10km, the BX1 is 20km, the LH1 is 40km.  All are single mode 1310nm.

Unless you are really going longer than 10km, you should be using the LX1, as it's possible sometimes to overdrive the long-range fibre transceivers - they expect some loss in the cable, and if you're using the 40km version with 300' of fibre, that may be a problem.

Thanks TJ!

I was wondering if it is problematic to keep part of the fiber on the reel without consequences. For example, running 500ft. off of a 1500ft. reel and keeping 1000ft. on the reel. I recall a video guy saying that sometimes they have to take the entire run off of a reel because of loss in the "turns". I'm just trying to sort out fact from fiction. Help is appreciated.

-JP

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »

Thanks TJ!

I was wondering if it is problematic to keep part of the fiber on the reel without consequences. For example, running 500ft. off of a 1500ft. reel and keeping 1000ft. on the reel. I recall a video guy saying that sometimes they have to take the entire run off of a reel because of loss in the "turns". I'm just trying to sort out fact from fiction. Help is appreciated.

-JP
I will let someone with more practical experience answer this authoritatively.  Bend loss is a real thing: http://www.fibertronix.com/introduction-bend-loss  How big an issue this is depends on the bend radius and number of bends, as well as cable type.  I suspect that a 1500' reel with 10km optics would allow significant margin so long as the core of your reel isn't too small.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »

This thread would be a valuable add to the Console Connectivity heading on the forum.  That part about fiber having a problem being left on the spool was new news to me and while I have left fiber on the spool while in use with out problems my longest coil is 150 meters.  This and the GBIC document from Cisco ( something I've looked for repeatedly and got lost in the prodigious documentation weeds with ) is all good stuff worth archiving

I will let someone with more practical experience answer this authoritatively.  Bend loss is a real thing: http://www.fibertronix.com/introduction-bend-loss  How big an issue this is depends on the bend radius and number of bends, as well as cable type.  I suspect that a 1500' reel with 10km optics would allow significant margin so long as the core of your reel isn't too small.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.