ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound system recommendations for permanent install in 40' x 50' room  (Read 18189 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Sound system recommendations for permanent install in 40' x 50' room
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 07:48:38 AM »

The higher end stuff like Danley are a solution to the problem of getting good sound to thousands of people over large areas.
Apparently you don't know much about the Danley line.

Sure there are plenty of large stadiums that are covered very nicely-with the larger products

There are also LOTS of smaller rooms-Churches and even a lot of living rooms that have Danley systems.

Danley makes lots of smaller/lighter/less expensive speakers than those used in 100,000 seat stadiums.

Nobody has been suggesting you use cabinets that can produce those sorts of SPL leves in his room.

But there are lots of solutions that will work very well in his room-and people WILL notice.  I hear ti all the time with just people talking in the clubs (even EDM dance clubs) about how clear the sound is.

When you hear the average people talking (and they don't know you are there) about the sound-it DOES mean that it matters to some people.

I will agree that not everybody cares about the sound-but many do and people notice :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 08:31:30 AM »

But there are lots of solutions that will work very well in his room-and people WILL notice.  I hear ti all the time with just people talking in the clubs (even EDM dance clubs) about how clear the sound is.

When you hear the average people talking (and they don't know you are there) about the sound-it DOES mean that it matters to some people.

I will agree that not everybody cares about the sound-but many do and people notice :)

+1  And what you don't always get to hear is what people say once they're home. Things like "let's go to Club A next time instead of Club B. Every time we come home form Club B, my ears are ringing."   I know I always notice more long term effects after being in a room with a poorly tuned system than one that is clear. I believe the average person does too.  Even if  they don't understand why, they take notice whether it's loud and clear or just loud.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 09:06:15 AM »

No,they won't. Unless you've rounded up all the fringe audiophiles. The higher end stuff like Danley are a solution to the problem of getting good sound to thousands of people over large areas. We're talking basically a big living room here. The JBL stuff, properly set up, will sound every bit as good as a decent home theater. There is no subtle musical nuance to club dance music. Loud, clean and balanced response. You guys are starting to sound more off the wall than the concrete blocks on amplifiers and green sharpie on CD's crowd. Good sound isn't that hard.  You don't need Smaart to set up a 40x50' room.

Alex,
I'll call bullshit on all of your statements. The OP wants quality sound and yet you dismiss everything but Danley cabinets, and I think you're doing that without first hand experience. So not to pile on I'll agree with Doug Fowler and suggest the OP make contact with Paul Bell. Paul can then suggest and design a sound system that will not only work properly within the confines of the OP's venue, but design a system that will also provide the quality sound required by the OP making his club a destination for quality dance music and live performances.

I have no ax to grind here, but to suggest JRX and PRX level cabinets for this critical first step is ludicrous. People do understand good and bad sound, and to suggest they do not will eventually result in a loss of revenue. Although the PRX may fill the room, reliability and flexibility are major concerns.

Having said all of this, and being as partial to the JBL product line as I am, I'll suggest that the minimum point of entry for this space would be an STX system, properly installed and tuned by someone who does so for a living.

Above the entry point I'll suggest that the JBL VP series of cabinets will also work, but following that I would highly recommend the JBL Marquis Dance Club series of cabinets. Flexible and incredible sound designed for the OP's purpose. And, while suggesting these cabinets in order of STX, VP, or Marquis Dance Club I'll state that any of these cabinets should be auditioned by the OP, and also compared with cabinets from other manufacturers of equal quality and type.

I have listened to all of the systems I recommended, and if ever in the Boston area stop by the House of Blues or the Palace and hear for yourself.

This is a huge and expensive first step for any new club owner to take, and it is not a step to be taken lightly.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/tour-sound/vp-series#.VC1PyWQpBkA

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/Marquis_brochure_032312_web_spread.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/installed-sound/marquis-dance-club#.VC1Li2QpBkA
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:15:15 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 09:07:29 AM »

OK, let's take a small step back here. When you say speaker A sounds better than speaker B, what do you mean? When I read a speaker review in Sound & Vision, they describe actual sonic details of what they hear. They also tell you what gear is being used ahead of the speaker and usually also how it compares to their everyday reference speaker.

A comparison of PA speakers based on hearing different rigs is invalid because there are far too many variables in the signal chain that affect what you ultimately hear.

I'm not advocating crappy speakers, I'm simply saying you can get excellent sound out of some less expensive options - especially in a room that small.

I'm not an audiophile, but I've been deeply involved in home and car audio since the mid 70's. I know what good sound sounds like.

The OP, stated a wide-ranging budget from $20-50k and said that $50 was really pushing it. I'm just trying to help him save some money that might be better spent elsewhere.

Bob, I didn't suggest JRX for this venue. I simply stated I've been in clubs with that level of gear that sounded decent.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:11:20 AM by Alex Rigodanzo »
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 09:19:44 AM »

Reading a magazine, just like reading this thread, won't let you hear the system in a properly tuned and installed venue.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 09:33:04 AM »

I know what good sound sounds like.

Bob, I didn't suggest JRX for this venue. I simply stated I've been in clubs with that level of gear that sounded decent.

Does not compute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »

You've lost all credibility with this.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 09:52:05 AM »

Jonathan , Don't forget power, need good power near the stage.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »

Yes, to review the JRX in the subjective style of S&V "The high frequency output of the JRX was brittle and grating,  I have had more pleasurable experiences in a dentist chair"
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 01:55:15 PM »

Mike - no, not at all...we don't even have a lease signed yet.  Then we have to get construction permits, change the C of O, get a liquor license, a place of assembly license...the list goes on.  Figuring out the sound system at least is one part of the process that's actually enjoyable.

I'm just contemplating the potential cost of making a 2nd story club ada compliant. That alone would probably exceed the price of best sound system you could fit in the space.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 01:55:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.