ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellow Jackets/Cable Ramps  (Read 15545 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: Yellow Jackets/Cable Ramps
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 01:12:22 AM »

I have no-name cable ramps.  They were about 1/3rd the cost of brand name ones.  It still costs a lot of money to do power properly.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 02:24:13 AM »

If nobody is driving over my snake and power lines, simply cutting corrugated ABS 3" sewer pipe in half and painting the ten foot sections bright yellow works perfectly well for my usage and cost under $60 for 100 feet. Since most of my sound gigs are on grass, I use aluminum tent stakes to hold them down. My city and county clients love them.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 02:59:15 AM »

That's not a bad idea.  I had to rent ramps and it pushed a job into the red but I didn't want to give up the deal.  There was a nice set of 200' or so on eBay with transport carts and everything but the bidding got to high for me and they were on the other side of the country.

I do very little outdoor work I could buy several road crossings worth of the good stuff and use the culvert pipe trick for the rest of the run. 

How do you do the actual cut?  Do you have two guys hold tension and use a sawz all?  There has to be an elegant way to split it

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 08:14:41 AM »

The pipe we use was made by the previous BE.  It's much bigger than 3".   I think it's 12" cut in thirds.  This makes a wide, low profile cover.  It's also thick enough to drive over.  If I was making more, I'd snap a chalk line down the pipe and use a circular saw.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »

If nobody is driving over my snake and power lines, simply cutting corrugated ABS 3" sewer pipe in half and painting the ten foot sections bright yellow works perfectly well for my usage and cost under $60 for 100 feet. Since most of my sound gigs are on grass, I use aluminum tent stakes to hold them down. My city and county clients love them.

Hmm.. That's temping. I wonder how well the would stay in place on asphalt? And what if a car/small truck decide to drive over it? There not suppose to anyway but, you know it happens before people will notice once and a great while. 

Tomm Williams

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 11:29:24 AM »

Isn't there also an ADA standard as to the angle of any such device ?

Not saying it still isn't a good idea to cover the cables by any means possible.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »

Isn't there also an ADA standard as to the angle of any such device ?

Not saying it still isn't a good idea to cover the cables by any means possible.

The Normal Yellow Jackets don't even follow ADA standard. The ones that do are like three times as wide, and have a smaller incline.

https://www.checkersindustrial.com/products/cable-protectors/yellow-jacket/with-lids-3/yellow-jacket-5-channel-ada-cable-protector/
Most event's aren't required to be ADA complaint. Some chose to. There's a list of what has to be and what's not.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:49:17 AM by jasonfinnigan »

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »

The Normal Yellow Jackets don't even follow ADA standard. The ones that do are like three times as wide, and have a smaller incline.

https://www.checkersindustrial.com/products/cable-protectors/yellow-jacket/with-lids-3/yellow-jacket-5-channel-ada-cable-protector/
Most event's aren't required to be ADA complaint. Some chose to. There's a list of what has to be and what's not.

This is rapidly changing.  Some of the most current advisory documents I have read say you most certainly do have to be accessible. Especially if you are in a parking lot or on a hard service.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »

And I will provide one from my hometown area. 

http://www.discountramps.com/cable-ramps-protectors/c/4250/

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »

This is rapidly changing.  Some of the most current advisory documents I have read say you most certainly do have to be accessible. Especially if you are in a parking lot or on a hard service.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right to focus on which routes need to be ADA "accessible."  Not all public areas of a venue are or need to be, but if patrons are expected to need to move through, there is a strong chance that accessibility to those with mobility disabilities is required by law for the venue operator.  The standard of care for public liability purposes (trips and falls) is enough to keep me from home-made cable covers. They may satisfy the AHJ for electrical code purposes, but they won't make your insurance carrier happy. VMMV. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.