ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nothing less than the decline of western civilization  (Read 5416 times)

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
Re: Nothing less than the decline of western civilization
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »

It would be difficult (and pointless) to fit a 1/4" jack to this.

Steve.

Maybe not so hard...

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/testers/qbox

And as long as the pro level cans use 1/4" plugs, there would be a point to use the larger format.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »

They should be full size headset jacks in the same way that mixing consoles have full size headset jacks.

How much longer is that going to be true, though? The GLD, for example, has both sizes on the surface.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »

How much longer is that going to be true, though? The GLD, for example, has both sizes on the surface.

I would be much happier if mixers included both. I don't own any ear/headphones that use a 1/4in jack; even my (cheap) Sennheiser cans have an 1/8in connection. Most of the time when I'm mixing(I mix on a couple of different boards at different locations any given week) and want to solo a channel(which isn't very often) all I have handy are my earbuds(which offer some isolation and don't sound too bad) but I never seem to have a 1/4in -> 1/8in adapter handy which makes me wish the LS9 and Mackie Onyx I mix on had 1/8in outputs.

John Fruits

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »

As Roseanne Roseannadanna said, "there's always something".  It could always be worse, much worse.  Won't be long before some young buck is complaining about those "old fashioned headphone jacks", why oh why isn't this damn thing Bluetooth enabled, who wants to be hooked up to something with a long, messy wire.  Jeez, in the bad old days you had to operate your computer with both a keyboard and a mouse connected with messy, wires.  Sheesh. Don't mind me, just an old geezer letting his Ludditity show.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 07:42:42 AM »

Its a sad day

A friend and colleague of mine works at the largest broadcasting house in Norway. 

Apparantly, when they buy new headsets with a 3,5mm jack plug+6,3mm (1/4inch) adapter, they send them down to the repair department to have the 3,5mm plug cut off and a 6,3mm plug soldered to the cable.

Apparantly, the headsets are less likely to "disappear" if they have a 6,3mm plug on them.  Go figure...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 03:02:16 PM »

I would be much happier if mixers included both. I don't own any ear/headphones that use a 1/4in jack; even my (cheap) Sennheiser cans have an 1/8in connection. Most of the time when I'm mixing(I mix on a couple of different boards at different locations any given week) and want to solo a channel(which isn't very often) all I have handy are my earbuds(which offer some isolation and don't sound too bad) but I never seem to have a 1/4in -> 1/8in adapter handy which makes me wish the LS9 and Mackie Onyx I mix on had 1/8in outputs.

You'll only wish that until those 1/8" plugs start breaking off in the jacks and the only way to get them out is to take that board apart. I try my best to NOT buy anything that has 1/8" jacks. Not always possible, but that's just me.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »

I put 1/8th inch connectors on a small mixer (RQ200) in addition to the more common connector sizes so customers could plug in without using adapters.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »

You'll only wish that until those 1/8" plugs start breaking off in the jacks and the only way to get them out is to take that board apart. I try my best to NOT buy anything that has 1/8" jacks. Not always possible, but that's just me.
I've never broken an 1/8in connector and I use them all the time with my phone and laptop. I think what saves most of them is that most are right angle connectors and it's hard to have enough force to break one. I have had to throw away many pair of cheap earphones/earbuds over the years though do to damaged cords.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »

As Roseanne Roseannadanna said, "there's always something".  It could always be worse, much worse.  Won't be long before some young buck is complaining about those "old fashioned headphone jacks", why oh why isn't this damn thing Bluetooth enabled, who wants to be hooked up to something with a long, messy wire.  Jeez, in the bad old days you had to operate your computer with both a keyboard and a mouse connected with messy, wires.  Sheesh. Don't mind me, just an old geezer letting his Ludditity show.

The old rotary phones didn't require a kensington cable lock to keep them from walking off.  I never had to look for corded mics after a service....

That said, my A&H GL3800 has both 1/8" and 1/4" jacks-I prefer the 1/4" for robustness, but it has been handy at times to have both.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.