ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 questions  (Read 7462 times)

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
X32 questions
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »

I don't own one, but I did get a chance to mix on one a couple weeks ago for the first time.  It piqued my curiosity so I've been reading the online manual and I downloaded X32 Edit for Windows to my laptop to explore.  I have a few questions I haven't found definitive answers to yet.

1. Can you mix wireless from a Windows laptop or tablet?  The website seems to suggest wired for Windows and wireless with iPad.

2. I see you can select if the remote screen follows or is independent from the console screen.  Does this mean you can perform different activities on each at the same time.  For instance, if I'm out front mixing and the console is on stage, can a musician use sends on faders at the console to adjust monitors while my remote faders stay active on whatever layer I'm on?

3. I see in the global options of setup a Lock Stagebox.  Does this disable the control surface of the console so it can't be messed with?

4. While there's onboard eq, compression, delay etc for the mains, there doesn't seem to be a crossover or any speaker management dsp.  Is that correct?  You still need an outboard unit?  The rig I mixed on a couple weeks ago had a dbx 1231 and Ashly Protea on the main outs.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this is a start.  Remember, I've always been a totally analog guy and in general - outside of restaurants - not a fan of menus ;) I also need to look at how much of the cost of a new console I could defray be selling all my analog stuff before I even consider a change.

I like the idea of not having to run a snake.  I also like the idea of being able to shrink FOH as many venues we play, it's hard to find a spot to set up that isn't in the way of the patrons.  It would also eliminate having a separate monitor board and the associated extra cabling.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: X32 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »

I don't own one, but I did get a chance to mix on one a couple weeks ago for the first time.  It piqued my curiosity so I've been reading the online manual and I downloaded X32 Edit for Windows to my laptop to explore.  I have a few questions I haven't found definitive answers to yet.

1. Can you mix wireless from a Windows laptop or tablet?  The website seems to suggest wired for Windows and wireless with iPad.
Yes you can have both or multiples of each on wireless and wired.

2. I see you can select if the remote screen follows or is independent from the console screen.  Does this mean you can perform different activities on each at the same time.  For instance, if I'm out front mixing and the console is on stage, can a musician use sends on faders at the console to adjust monitors while my remote faders stay active on whatever layer I'm on?
Yes
3. I see in the global options of setup a Lock Stagebox.  Does this disable the control surface of the console so it can't be messed with?
I don't know, but I'm sure someone else does.
4. While there's onboard eq, compression, delay etc for the mains, there doesn't seem to be a crossover or any speaker management dsp.  Is that correct?  You still need an outboard unit?  The rig I mixed on a couple weeks ago had a dbx 1231 and Ashly Protea on the main outs.
It does have crossovers, they're in the matrix section; you have to assign your bus to a matrix then the matrix to your output to use the crossover function. It also has GEQs that use effects rack spaces.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:32:15 PM by Tommy Peel »

Lou Kohley

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »

Hi Alex,

To answer some of your questions.

The website recommends a wired connection for a laptop but it can work over a wireless connection. Wired is better because of the amount of meter data coming to x32 edit. You have rta data on the eq screens as well as the rta tab. The ipad app does not yet receive rta data.

Yes they can mix independently. However I think behringer says that you can only have 4 clients running the full mix or edit programs. If you want monitor controls use the x32q app. I've been trying it out and it seems to work well. I'm still having issues with connection drops but they are only for a couple seconds. Great for sound checks!

I haven't done this yet. I think it was designed for the x32 rack to function as a stagebox but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can clarify.

It hasn't been an issue as my rig is powered so the crossovers are built in. But I know there are some HPF and LPF on the matrix.

I like the idea of not having to run a snake.  I also like the idea of being able to shrink FOH as many venues we play, it's hard to find a spot to set up that isn't in the way of the patrons.  It would also eliminate having a separate monitor board and the associated extra cabling.

This was the reason I went to the x32 rack. I have the full size x32 but never mix on it. I have since made a midi controller out of two bcf2000s. (Until I can get the x-touch or a mackie control universal) They control the x32 edit.

When I actually get space to setup a mix position I still run power and use a powerline adapter to pass a network connection to the stage.

I also run a cbi shuttle snake that gives me four xlrs on either end and it connects with shielded cat5. On the connectors I send midi, talkback, music playback, and headphone cue.

I've probably over complicated it but the rig is small and only needs a folding table for FOH.

LOU

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

That locks the controls on an S16 stage box.  It will not lock any of the console controls.

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »

That locks the controls on an S16 stage box.  It will not lock any of the console controls.

Can you lock out the console when mixing remotely?

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:01:38 PM »

The Lock Stagebox button does just that, it locks the S16 controls on the remote snake so no one can change gains or phantom power from the stage.

To lock the control surface, press and hold the 'Home' button and it will lock the controls.  To unlock them, press it again for a few seconds.

The only crossover functions available are in the EQ section of the Matrix Sends.  There are various sloped cut offs you can use to set up a crossover in the console.  Add in the delays available and you have the makings of a useable crossover.
You need to route the main out to the matrix channels you use for the crossover and route the matrix channels to XLR outs and get them from the console or the S16.  The Aux outs can also be used on the console.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:26:14 AM »

You can get decent crossovers, PEQ, and delays for your speakers directly from the board.  I have done this many times with my active speaker system.  However, if you use passive speakers a dedicated system processor or amp with dsp will give you better limiting for speaker protection.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like it would do the things I want it to do.  If I can get about $2k out of my analog gear, it might be worth doing.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »

Can you lock out the console when mixing remotely?

You can either hold the home button down to lock it. or Hold the home button down + any other button on the console and then use the same combination to unlock it. that way you have a customized lock.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.