ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio equipment for camp chapel  (Read 8546 times)

D Edgcumbe

Re: Audio equipment for camp chapel
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »

So the E835 aren't inferior to the sm58 then?...and a bit cheaper if 3 pack

Dick, I do occasionally go to Michigan and usually buy a lot of stuff (mostly buying online and having it shipped to MI).  But often the price is significantly less, this audio stuff Im not seeing really any difference, other than a snake, and take a bunch of space.  I would be interested if it could be shipped to MI.  I'll try Greg again too.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »

So the E835 aren't inferior to the sm58 then?...and a bit cheaper if 3 pack

Dick, I do occasionally go to Michigan and usually buy a lot of stuff (mostly buying online and having it shipped to MI).  But often the price is significantly less, this audio stuff Im not seeing really any difference, other than a snake, and take a bunch of space.  I would be interested if it could be shipped to MI.  I'll try Greg again too.

The 835's do sound better than SM58's on most voices, but the best deal of all are the Chinese GLS58 knock-offs from Orange County Speaker.  You can get 10 of them for the price of the 835 3-pack...

Check your personal messages in a bit.  I'll send you a gear list.  I'm approaching 70 YOA and am selling off quality inventory bit by bit.

DR
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »

Hey Dave,

You've gotten plenty of good advice already.  We're on the other side of the size spectrum of camps, but I'm available to run things by if you need a another filter that understands the camping world.

We recently opened a second camp in MA and are running groups about your size out there for now.  I have one college age kid who has some tech experience out there for about 6 weeks each summer, otherwise everything is run by a relatively non-technical small-camp staff.  Reliability and ease of use where big considerations since all tech support has been over the phone for the last two years.

I ended up going with QSC KW122s for the mains and K10s for the monitors.  They're a bit more than some of the other options that have been offered up, but they have a 5-6 year warranty and slightly more utility that some of the other options available.  For a small camp with few technical resources, utility is key.  We went with a MixWizard in that chapel as well, and I have a few here on our main campus too.  Again, a very reliable, functional piece of gear.  I've got a full list of what I put in that chapel if you want it.

Now I know you're trying not to spend very much money, but the reality is that if you're starting from scratch, there are going to be a lot of little things that add up and you'll be much happier with higher quality components that last longer and are more easily repaired, than with cheaper stuff that won't last.
Mark Sexton

System Designer/Operations Manager
Alive Media

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »

Now I know you're trying not to spend very much money, but the reality is that if you're starting from scratch, there are going to be a lot of little things that add up and you'll be much happier with higher quality components that last longer and are more easily repaired, than with cheaper stuff that won't last.

Great advice.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 01:20:55 PM »

To add a bit to Marks advice on equipment investment:

If you have an arbitrary budget figure of $1000.00 to purchase a complete, serviceable system, you'll end up coming up short one way or another.  Either you will not have all the stuff you need or the stuff you do find will be so cheap as to have marginal functionality (read too cheap to work well) and not hold up under use.  So you basically waste the $1000.00 and have to start over again.

If doubling the budget will allow you to purchase well-researched, quality used gear you will have still "wasted" only the same $1000.00 amount, albeit the "wasted" amount now counts for something, being wasted only in the sense that it was over and above the original budget.

It has often been said that folks in your situation buy three systems:

1.  The one that fits the original "budget"

2.   The one to replace #1 when it doesn't work or last very long

3.   The proper system.

Do your research, shop hard and go directly for #3 with the aid of a knowledgeable local consultant.

Good luck. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 11:45:46 AM »

People have a tendency to think of cables and adapters -- and that includes power distribution and DI boxes -- as "incidental" expenses, but cabling can be a significant portion of the cost of the system. For a portable system, it's not unheard of for cabling and adapters to be a quarter of the total cost. A lot of little things really adds up in a hurry!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:48:01 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 04:34:46 AM »

What are the Mackie Thump12 like for $300.....

Not very good.  If budget gets in the way, buy a single speaker of higher quality rather than 2 speakers of low quality.   You're gonna run in mono anyway, stereo is a 'luxury' that actually introduces problems, i.e. it only works correctly for people sitting down the middle of the room.  People sitting on the left front only hear the left speaker,...

Mono is your friend. Cheap speakers are not.   
Mark McFarlane

Mike Maly

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

Yamaha StagePas 600i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Maly Sound:
Hear the difference

David Kaiser

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 10:05:43 PM »

I would also suggest the Carvin Stagemate System. It was discontinued last year, but they are available used. The advantage of the Stagemate is that it can be AC or battery powered. It has a nice little built in mixer. I have worked in a couple of remote location camps and the ability to continue speaking without shouting when the power goes out is great. And they can get fairly loud.

ivandezande

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »

Always look at Craigslist for brand name pro audio and for cables and stuff Monoprice is amazing on a budget.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 25 queries.