ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC Touchmix-16  (Read 19755 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
QSC Touchmix-16
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »

I did a corporate gig with a dozen break out rooms.  Most of the mixers were QSC Touchmix 16.  No one on the crew, including me, had seen them before.  Audio needs were simple, 2 to 4 wls and a PC audio feed all mixed to built in over head speakers.  We also had to add a video record feed.

Build quality was good and the unit has some weight to it.  No worries the cables were going to pull it off the table.  The proprietary power connector and external PSU were very solid and robust.  I would prefer a standard IEC connector or powercon and no line lump but this is far better than the flimsy  connectors on similar scale equipment.  Robustness is equivalent to a nice fitting IEC.  The unit gets hot on the bottom.  Not sure if this is a problem or not.  The case these came with was very good too.  Just enough room for the mixer and PSU with padding but not so bulky as to take up excessive space.

The user interface was very intuitive. Every one who had to use it had no problem getting to what they needed.  Even the video crew could adjust there own aux mix.  After using it with out any instruction for a day I looked up the manual.  This provided me with some very nice shortcuts.  It has several ways to do what you want to do.  If you think it should work that way, it does.  I would say given some basic setup and training even a nontechnical person could be trained to set levels and mutes.

I did not try any of these features but I wish I had had the time to.  The mixer comes with a tiny USB based wifi adaptor.  The mixer has the settings to be it's own wifi hotspot so no external network hardware needed.  Just the mixer out of the box and an ipad, or eventually, an android tablet to do remote mixing.  It also can do all inputs plus a stereo feed multi track recording to USB.  This would have solved our problems with the video crew had they or we been prepared to use it. It is not multi touch so rapid fire mixing may not work well on it.  At times I did find myself mixing on the gain pots.  However this mixer is so clean I did not feel that was a compromise of quality.

Over all I think it fits very well in the corporate break out, educational, DJ, small band, and church markets. If it has the IO you need and 1 adjustment at a time is OK then this is the board for you.

I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jerome Malsack

Re: QSC Touchmix-16
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:41:15 AM »

I too was able to work on one and found it easy to setup.  Also did the wifi and the 50 ft range for IPAD to wifi was a bit limiting.  Did a wedding, with DJ music, wireless for celebration, wireless for the singer with sound track. 

I did not like the lip over the rear cables making it difficult to trigger and release the XLR outputs. 

I also see the cost of the unit being above Mackie ??  or Behringers new lines ??  Yes I know you get what you pay for.

Setting up wifi and IPad was quick and easy. 

Adding effects to the singers mic was just as quick and easy. 

The DJ was the owner and would need some time to learn before working more and setting up the effects. 
I think that as experienced sound people will setup and run easily. 

Security on Wifi was good and with a quick change on the password one should be able to keep unwanted fingers out of the system. 

duy_luu

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »

I did a corporate gig with a dozen break out rooms.  Most of the mixers were QSC Touchmix 16.  No one on the crew, including me, had seen them before.  Audio needs were simple, 2 to 4 wls and a PC audio feed all mixed to built in over head speakers.  We also had to add a video record feed.

Build quality was good and the unit has some weight to it.  No worries the cables were going to pull it off the table.  The proprietary power connector and external PSU were very solid and robust.  I would prefer a standard IEC connector or powercon and no line lump but this is far better than the flimsy  connectors on similar scale equipment.  Robustness is equivalent to a nice fitting IEC.  The unit gets hot on the bottom.  Not sure if this is a problem or not.  The case these came with was very good too.  Just enough room for the mixer and PSU with padding but not so bulky as to take up excessive space.

The user interface was very intuitive. Every one who had to use it had no problem getting to what they needed.  Even the video crew could adjust there own aux mix.  After using it with out any instruction for a day I looked up the manual.  This provided me with some very nice shortcuts.  It has several ways to do what you want to do.  If you think it should work that way, it does.  I would say given some basic setup and training even a nontechnical person could be trained to set levels and mutes.

I did not try any of these features but I wish I had had the time to.  The mixer comes with a tiny USB based wifi adaptor.  The mixer has the settings to be it's own wifi hotspot so no external network hardware needed.  Just the mixer out of the box and an ipad, or eventually, an android tablet to do remote mixing.  It also can do all inputs plus a stereo feed multi track recording to USB.  This would have solved our problems with the video crew had they or we been prepared to use it. It is not multi touch so rapid fire mixing may not work well on it.  At times I did find myself mixing on the gain pots.  However this mixer is so clean I did not feel that was a compromise of quality.

Over all I think it fits very well in the corporate break out, educational, DJ, small band, and church markets. If it has the IO you need and 1 adjustment at a time is OK then this is the board for you.

I got the Qsc Touchmix 16 2 weeks ago and love it. It make my speakers sound warmer and louder. Especially the graphic eq's on output are very accurate. Only problem I have is the wifi is not stable, I found myself reset the network on the touchmix a few times.

I am hoping for Qsc to make a large console. Great job Qsc!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:17:53 AM »

Well, it's been a while but I thought I'd post some thoughts on the TM16 with the v3.0 updates. I use this desk for a huge proportion of my gigs, so I'm pretty familiar with it. I got it over a black-box type mixer because I don't trust WiFi connections enough to only ever use a tablet with no other way of operating the desk.

So,

Pros:
- Sounds decent
- Multi-track recording
- RTA (with v3 firmware)
- Easy to use
- Feedback elimination - semi-automatic: it'll ring out each output, but it won't do it on-the-go. It does provide a readout for likely frequencies when you look at it, so you can hit "manual kill" and it'll put a notch there.
- Form factor - it's a lot of processing in something the size of a 15" laptop.
- Has a screen
- USB WiFi dongle included
- Multi-touch via iPad
- Can assign different devices different permissions. ie, John's iPad only changes John's monitor mix.
- Comps, gates, FX, EQs, etc all fine. Do what they say they're doing to do, cleanly.

Cons:
- Screen's not great: single-touch and laggy, like the touch-screens of 15 years ago
- Non-recallable analogue gains (mitigated a little by the +/-15dB of digital gain available, but still)
- No flexibility in routing, apart from the 8 DCAs. It'd be nice to be able to split channels or send the main mix to an Aux send, etc etc, but that stuff has to be done manually.
- Only 2 USB ports. Since MIDI footswitches are supported, as well as USB drives for recording and the WiFi connection needing a USB port, a minimum of three would've been nice.

I ran out of XLR inputs when doing a live recording of a 5-piece folk band that included 4 audience mics and putting a condenser on everything, so these days I keep a couple of USB soundcards and run them into the stereo inputs for four more XLR inputs if I want them. Works fine for overheads and the like where you want them running as a stereo pair anyway.

Overall, I quite like it. I'm occasionally tempted by an X32R with one of those WiFi fader banks, but for now this desk does everything I ask of it.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 07:17:12 PM »

I ended up grabbing a couple of these a few weeks ago for some corporate stuff we're doing. I really like them. Wifi dongle seems to work ok for a quick setup and go. It was easy enough to hook up an external router too.
Wish the power supply locked, and wish it had recallable gains (the 2 most common complaints/short comings), but it sounds great and is easy to use. Will be sending one out for school plays. Kids should pick up the workflow easily with a quick tutorial. SO portable.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Mike New

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 03:19:28 PM »

I've been using the Touchmix-16 for a couple of years.  I'm a sound guy, use it for smaller gigs, and rely heavily on the ability to remotely manage my mixes from an iPad. I like this mixer very much and would agree with the other reviewers' positive comments. But there is one issue that would keep me from buying another:

No remote Gain adjustment. Musicians often have much more energy during performance than during sound check, so it's often necessary to turn down the gain well into a gig. This cannot be done remotely. I have to return to the stage to adjust gain. And as others have noted, it is also not possible to store Gain settings for different bands.

A couple of other minor complaints, but not as important as the Gain issue:

Inadequate Compressor user interface. The compressor itself seems to work well, but the static display (e.g no "bouncing ball") does not provide sufficient feedback to make real-time adjustments. The static display does show attack/release time, which is nice but not terribly useful during a performance. A dynamic compression meter does exist, but there are no db markings to show how much compression is occurring. Ideally I could just listen closely to hear the effects of compression, but noisy nightclub environments make this difficult.

Internal Router. I've also found the internal wireless access point to be weak, but the problem is easily solved with a small external router. I use a TP-Link Nano Router (about 2 inches square). I just plug it into the wall and set it next to the Touchmix, which auto-connects wirelessly. The Nano router fits in the Touchmix case and improves range dramatically.

All this said, the Touchmix is a very nice portable mixer. I sometimes use a Midas MR16 rackmount mixer (also highly recommended), but during initial setup I really miss the on-board display of the Touchmix. If QSC could improve the Gain design, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 03:10:07 AM »

It was easy enough to hook up an external router too.

I was going to ask if that was a possibility.

Steve.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »

It's pretty easy.
Set up your external router, tell the TouchMix desk to scan for WiFi networks. Find the one you want, enter password and you're done. Anything connected to that network can then find the desk if it's running the app.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Stephen Klunk

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »

I’ve been using a TouchMix 16 for a few years now. I really like it. However, it’s starting to give me trouble.

A few gigs ago, I lost about 10 dB on the left main out. I run my system in stereo, so this a serious problem, not to mention that it shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

I called QSC support, and they asked me if I’d ever piggybacked onto another console with it, saying that if the phantom power was on in the other mixer, it could have damaged the captors on the Touchmix’s main outs. Well, I’ve never done that. This mixer has been only been used in stand alone situations, furthermore, it’s hardly been used at all: I’d say less than 10 times per year.

So, I’ve got to bring it to a service / repair place and pay $. It’s out of warranty, but I really doubt if I’ve got 20 gigs total on this mixer yet. It’s never been roughed up. It actually stays in my bedroom between gigs.

I’ve come up with a workaround, and that is to reroute to my aux 1 and 2, so I can still mix my shows in stereo. It gets the job done, but it requires extra pages to sift through to do a mix. Thankfully, my mixes are very simple, and there’s no monitoring involved.

Still, I’m sure that the same thing is eventually going to happen with my aux outputs. So when this thing gets repaired, I hope they replace ALL the caps on ALL the outputs.

Also, when I reported this malfunction to QSC Support, the person on the other end didn’t seem surprised. I didn’t push the issue, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m not the only one with this problem.

I’ve also started to have trouble with the TouchMix’s recording function:

Every once in awhile, I get noise artifacts. Like clicks or ticks that I know didn’t happen in the room that I was recording in. And, on my last recording, I got terrible distortion on just one syllable in the lead vocal track. I was able to hide it in the mix with the backup singers, but I don’t have to tell you that this is no good. I talked about it with the owner of Horizon Studios here in Connecticut, and he says it might be a clocking issue. So I’m now very nervous about this mixer trashing a future recording and loosing me a bunch of money. Not to mention my reputation.

Otherwise, I love what this mixer does for me, but right now I don’t trust it. Yes it’s over 2 years old, but I’m seeing problems that I shouldn’t see on a 10 year old mixer.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber