ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering high end for wedding ceremonies. But is it overkill?  (Read 17675 times)

Lou Paris (Paris Creative)

Re: Considering high end for wedding ceremonies. But is it overkill?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »

Well currently I have two weak spots in my current system, the mics and the mixer. And those are going out the door.

The mics are my biggest focus, but man why does the ULX-D's have to be so expensive. ULDX-D4Q at $5k is a big price, and of course throw in another $1k for mics themselves.

I've been trying to find out more information on the SCM410 that Dick Rees suggested but I am not finding much out there. Is this a new unit?

I could also "scale back" on the mixer and look at things like the Mackie DL806 and the QSC Touchmix-8, however I am a little concerned about the build quality of the Mackie, and the QSC does not seem to have an overly great UI to work with.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »

Well currently I have two weak spots in my current system, the mics and the mixer. And those are going out the door.

The mics are my biggest focus, but man why does the ULX-D's have to be so expensive. ULDX-D4Q at $5k is a big price, and of course throw in another $1k for mics themselves.

I've been trying to find out more information on the SCM410 that Dick Rees suggested but I am not finding much out there. Is this a new unit?

I could also "scale back" on the mixer and look at things like the Mackie DL806 and the QSC Touchmix-8, however I am a little concerned about the build quality of the Mackie, and the QSC does not seem to have an overly great UI to work with.

Shure SCM-410, MSRP is $877.00; street will be about a hundred less... shop around. :)

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mixers-dsp/scm410-4-channel-automatic-mixer

Agreed on the QLX-D -- MAP on the QLXD4 half rack single channel receiver is $636. Add some bodypacks, maybe an antenna distro, you're at about the same $5k but fully kitted out. ULXD -- $5,015 MAP for the quad receiver. SM58 handhelds are MAP at $474. ULXD1 bodypack is $445.00 (and that's without the microphone capsule still).

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »

Shure SCM-410, MSRP is $877.00; street will be about a hundred less... shop around. :)

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mixers-dsp/scm410-4-channel-automatic-mixer

Agreed on the QLX-D -- MAP on the QLXD4 half rack single channel receiver is $636. Add some bodypacks, maybe an antenna distro, you're at about the same $5k but fully kitted out. ULXD -- $5,015 MAP for the quad receiver. SM58 handhelds are MAP at $474. ULXD1 bodypack is $445.00 (and that's without the microphone capsule still).

-Ray

Yeah any mixer I choose will likely be in the $750 - $1200 range. I keep on thinking the SCM410 will be an awesome addition, but the lack of some peer reviews has me a little worried about buying.

Given the price of the ULX-D and the QLX-D I have to wonder if for the 20-30 uses per year, coupled with one of the mixers I have mentioned, if the Sennheiser EW 135 G3 is a great enough performer. I could get a pair of mics and receivers for the same price as a single.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »

I've bought all my 410's used from Ebay for $150.00 or less.  They all work perfectly.  Try one...you'll like it.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Thomas Le

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

Shure SCM810 $100 Buy it now on fleabay! Why shortchange yourself?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »

Shure SCM810 $100 Buy it now on fleabay! Why shortchange yourself?

Because with the 810 you need an 8 input XLR module as the unit itself has Phoenix connectors.  If you use two 410's instead, you get XLR inputs and the ability to run 8 into 2 or chain them and run 8 into 1.

More control, less space, ready to roll.

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »

I've bought all my 410's used from Ebay for $150.00 or less.  They all work perfectly.  Try one...you'll like it.

How long has this been out. I am surprised I have not seen it before and even more surprised of the low resell value.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »

How long has this been out. I am surprised I have not seen it before and even more surprised of the low resell value.

You said earlier that you were familiar with the 410's and 810's.   Now you say you have not seen it before. 

What's up with that?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:39:41 PM by dick rees »

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 11:36:59 PM »

OK.

What auto-mixers have you seen, oh all-knowing one?

As to resale value, you can now pick up fairly high end analog mixing consoles originally costing  over $50K for a couple thousand...in perfect working order.

I started looking around a couple years ago but did not see this model. I abandoned the idea that a quality one existed. After looking at this I suspect this came out in 2008 or 2009?

The more I dwell on it the more I am compelled to give this a try. To be able to balance out quality vocal output automatically, as a DJ, is mighty tempting. I may even get this now to work with my not-so-great-mics if I can't decide what models to purchase. At least it could potentially bring these mediocre mics to the fair level.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:39:41 PM by Lou Paris (Paris Creative) »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 11:53:16 PM »

I keep on thinking the SCM410 will be an awesome addition, but the lack of some peer reviews has me a little worried about buying.
The more I dwell on it the more I am compelled to give this a try. To be able to balance out quality vocal output automatically, as a DJ, is mighty tempting. I may even get this now to work with my not-so-great-mics if I can't decide what models to purchase. At least it could potentially bring these mediocre mics to the fair level.

I'm curious what it is exactly that you think an automatic mixer does. Here's a hint: it has nothing to do with balancing mics.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 11:53:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.