ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Personal Monitor Speaker  (Read 3657 times)

Jacob Robinson

Personal Monitor Speaker
« on: September 23, 2014, 11:09:01 AM »

I am working on a proposal for a personal monitor system for our band.  One caveat to our style of services is that it is not un-common to have a walk-up keyboard player or to have our worship leader walk over to play one of the songs in the set. 

For this I need to have a way to have to personal mixer quickly feed a personal monitor speaker rather than a set of earphones.  So I am leaning towards a Hot Spot monitor.  Is this still considered the best option?  I know they have been around for years.  I am not familiar with what is out now.

I was thinking of this:
Galaxy PA6S
http://www.galaxyaudio.com/PA6S.php

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Personal Monitor Speaker
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »

So I am leaning towards a Hot Spot monitor.  Is this still considered the best option? 

I don't think that it was ever the "best" option.  Hot spot style monitors were always a parade of compromises and the last thing I would try.  Frankly, in the situation you describe a low profile wedge would look and sound better than a black speaker thing sticking up on a mic stand.  Use an amplifier, that you probably already have, and a cable long enough to get it wherever it's needed on stage and your good to go, as long as you have a spare output on the system and someone trained well enough to put together that mix on the fly.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:16:37 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »

I'm with Lee as far not being much of a fan of the HotSpot line. The dual-driver designs, in particular, were horrible (severe combfiltering which is inherent in such a design) and I haven't seen much from them in any of their products as far as solid engineering.

The cabinet you cited might be OK but I strongly suggest you look into the Mackie SRM150, which is very well designed, sounds very good, gets loud and has quite a few useful features. All for the same cost (+/- a few bucks).

HTH
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 11:26:08 PM »

The behringer knock off of the srm-150 is pretty good for the $ as well. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »

it is not un-common to have a walk-up keyboard player or to have our worship leader walk over to play one of the songs in the set. 

I've yet to hear any Hot Spot type monitor sound acceptably good on a full range keyboard at typical monitoring levels.
This space for rent

grant brewer

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:05:50 PM »

I am working on a proposal for a personal monitor system for our band.  One caveat to our style of services is that it is not un-common to have a walk-up keyboard player or to have our worship leader walk over to play one of the songs in the set. 

For this I need to have a way to have to personal mixer quickly feed a personal monitor speaker rather than a set of earphones.  So I am leaning towards a Hot Spot monitor.  Is this still considered the best option?  I know they have been around for years.  I am not familiar with what is out now.

I was thinking of this:
Galaxy PA6S
http://www.galaxyaudio.com/PA6S.php

Jacob--

Just to give you a little input from my end.  First, the PA6S that you mention looking at is not a dual driver, as the HS7 Hot Spot Monitor is.  The PA6S has a 6.5 woofer and a 1.5 coax tweeter.  This design will provide much better sound clarity for your application.  The coax design has a nice crossover in it to separate the highs and lows, where the other models are dependent upon one full range speaker.  Also, the PA6S has a greater wattage (170W) with a class D amp, three band EQ, and individual channel pass-through.

Keep in mind that the Hot Spot style of speakers, when we originally designed it, was for keyboardists.  it is meant to get the sound up and off the floor and into the players ears.  Adding another large woofer to the stage will only increase your stage volume considerably.  It will all come down to your set up, space, and needs.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:52:25 AM »

Just to give you a little input from my end. ..... when we originally designed it, was for keyboardists.  it is meant to get the sound up and off the floor and into the players ears.

You appear to be employed by Galaxy. Is this the case ? You are welcome to participate in this discussion (and any other, for that matter) but you must remain neutral and not overtly biased by your position.

Thanks.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »

Jacob--

Keep in mind that the Hot Spot style of speakers, when we originally designed it, was for keyboardists.  it is meant to get the sound up and off the floor and into the players ears.  Adding another large woofer to the stage will only increase your stage volume considerably.  It will all come down to your set up, space, and needs.

Complete agreement.  If the personal monitor can't be in the ear then it should be as close to the ears as is possible in this setting.  The worst place for monitors is on the floor.

Not to Code

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »

Quote from: Frank DeWitt link=topic=151584.msg1390505#msg1390505 date=
.  The worst place for monitors is on the floor.

This is a blanket statement and does not hold true over the variety of situations and gear available.  Sometimes the right, properly designed and positioned wedge IS or can be the better solution.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.