ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Needed Plz - System connectivity!  (Read 4294 times)

Dave Jim

Help Needed Plz - System connectivity!
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »

Hello!

This is my first post for me here in this reputable forum 

I am new to the field of Audio Visual systems, have been employed by a company as an AV technician. I have been given as assignment to install a small sound system that consists of the following parts:

Power Amplifiers:
•   Crown CDI 4000 , QTY =2

Wall speakers:
•   TANNOY   Di6t , QTY = 8

Ceiling speakers:
•   TANNOY   CMS 501 (WITHOUT TRANSFORMER), QTY = 12

HORN SPEAKERS:
•   TOA TU-651M HORN SPEAKER,    QTY = 4

Audio MIXER:
•   YAMAHA MG166, QTY =1

FEEDBACK EXTERMINATOR:
•   SHURE DFR22E

I have no idea about how can I connect and run such a system! I would appreciate your help and support. I do really need to learn how to do that in order not to loose this job.

Thanks again for your prompt support.

Dave

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Help Needed Plz - System connectivity!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »

Re-posting a thread locked because of improper enrollment will not get an answer.  Please heed the moderators notification in your first attempt.

Compliance is mandatory...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Basic Audio Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »

I have no idea about how can I connect and run such a system! I would appreciate your help and support. I do really need to learn how to do that in order not to loose this job.
Dave,

It will take you reading and understanding a book on sound system installation to get you the basic knowledge required for your task.

A good reference is "Handbook for Sound Engineers, The New Audio Cyclopedia", it has chapters that address what you need to know.

One thing the book won't mention is that you should have been given a design blueprint/schematic to follow for your installation, unless you represented yourself to your employer as a capable system designer, in which case you should have specified the system yourself.

Another thing the book won't cover in detail are the many local and national codes and regulations regarding installation of low and high voltage wiring in commercial buildings, your equipment list does not even mention all the connectors, wire and conduit required to connect the components.

Good luck!

Art
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:48:55 PM by Art Welter »

Dave Jim

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »

Hi Art,

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Actually I did't presented myself as a qualified system engineer, they hired me as a junior technician and my boss wants me to seek a solution to connect this system. He wants to evaluate my capabilities of problem solving and my skills of using internet to solve some issues.

They didn't provide me any schematics or diagrams, they only gave me a small room with the mentioned equipment inside.

I would really appreciate a good answer.

thanks

Dave

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:23:31 PM »

Dave,

A good starting point will be to determine the specifications of the hardware you are expected to install, and then determine how to appropriately divide or combine the speaker loads given the channels of amplification available to you.

If the above doesn't make any sense to you, I respectfully suggest that you are in over your head. Using the Internet to solve problems means more than just asking for somebody else to figure out how to do your job. I note that in my experience, the "solutions" offered via internet forums are not universally accepted as being correct, appropriate, or safe. YMMV. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »

I'm worried that they spec'd out things like the DFR22 -- and it's being presented to you as a Feedback Exterminator. It does have digital feedback reduction, but that won't take the place of proper system design and implementation, coupled with hopefully keeping idiots off of the mic. Haha.

On the other hand, looks like there's no microphone in this system anyways, so someone spent $600 on a useless product. Haha.

It's a bit strange that they're basically "Testing you" by asking you to determine how some unknown design engineer expects all of this to go together. I hope they don't want you to do the install as well...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »

I'm guessing it's a "here's a box of crap, make it work on the bench" test, using knowledge they presume one should already have to do the job.  Like most here, I'm not going to do the work for you.  But I would suggest studying up on constant voltage and series/parallel and applying that knowledge.
This space for rent

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 12:09:13 AM »

Hi Dave,

I'm definitely in agreement with the others - this is a lose-lose situation for you.

Check out SynAudCon for valuable training resources and mention to your boss that sending you to it would help greatly with future circumstances.  Online and in-person training is available.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »

Hi Art,

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Actually I did't presented myself as a qualified system engineer, they hired me as a junior technician and my boss wants me to seek a solution to connect this system. He wants to evaluate my capabilities of problem solving and my skills of using internet to solve some issues.

They didn't provide me any schematics or diagrams, they only gave me a small room with the mentioned equipment inside.

I would really appreciate a good answer.

thanks

Dave
You got a good answer above. I would add that you read the manuals for the gear.

Asking someone else to do your work isn't research. If I tell you how to hook it up, (1) you didn't learn anything and (2) I should get paid for doing your work.

Then, when you think you might know how to hook it up, tell us and ask a question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:06 PM »

You got a good answer above. I would add that you read the manuals for the gear.

Asking someone else to do your work isn't research. If I tell you how to hook it up, (1) you didn't learn anything and (2) I should get paid for doing your work.

Then, when you think you might know how to hook it up, tell us and ask a question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Plus One. ^3
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:06 PM ยป

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.