ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A Sound question from a Lighting guy  (Read 18170 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: A Sound question from a Lighting guy
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »

A "promoter" looking for funding without a quote from a major part of the event?

You're off the hook.  It ain't gonna happen. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »

I don't have the option to run unfortunately, and yes we are indeed waiting on funding which why the promoter does not want to go to a sound company.

dude. You always have the option to run-- unless this is something that you are financially involved with (like "you 'invest' in my event with lighting services, and you get a cut of the profit") you should never accept a job that is going to make YOU look bad. Screw the promoter, you really don't care about what happens there. But, the bad vibes that are already coming from this event… you're going to find yourself after the show, and the promoter will come up to you... "Oh, sorry, I had to bad sound and the venue and ticketing and security and first aid and blah blah blah I lost all of this money so I can't pay you."

So bottom line-- IF you can afford to do this event for FREE, then consider staying on board.

I hope you will collate some of these suggestions for the promoter… that he REALLY needs to get the (a?) sound company involved now. And that you will be wasting your time (and his) by trying to develop anything related to production without their input.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

James Richmor

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »

This seems to be looking very good for me, Anyone care to guess the cost of the PA?

As for why i cant run. The promoter is actually a close friend of mine and i have offered to do the Lighting design for free since its EDM that pretty much mean's a lot of strobes and moving lights

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 01:42:05 PM »

This seems to be looking very good for me, Anyone care to guess the cost of the PA?

As for why i cant run. The promoter is actually a close friend of mine and i have offered to do the Lighting design for free since its EDM that pretty much mean's a lot of strobes and moving lights

… cost to purchase, or to rent? Do we know where your show is going to be? Cos different markets price different.

Here in the PNW, a one day show for that many people, that genre of music, you're going to be looking at about six to nine grand. Depends on what "else" is being provided by the soundco, how much labor, etc etc. That'll get you a kicking 24 box JBL VerTec rig, and a shit ton of subs. Most people up here are either JBL or EAW, although I've heard one of the big players of EAW got pissed at them, and swore to never buy EAW again, and now has gone major into d&b.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

James Richmor

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »

… cost to purchase, or to rent? Do we know where your show is going to be? Cos different markets price different.

Here in the PNW, a one day show for that many people, that genre of music, you're going to be looking at about six to nine grand. Depends on what "else" is being provided by the soundco, how much labor, etc etc. That'll get you a kicking 24 box JBL VerTec rig, and a shit ton of subs. Most people up here are either JBL or EAW, although I've heard one of the big players of EAW got pissed at them, and swore to never buy EAW again, and now has gone major into d&b.

-Ray
It would be a rental in the los angeles area. Since it's a EDM show there would be no mic's or a need for a monitor engineer so i would imagine that would bring the price lower

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »

It would be a rental in the los angeles area. Since it's a EDM show there would be no mic's or a need for a monitor engineer so i would imagine that would bring the price lower

Nope.  Racks and stacks are fixed cost. 

IIWY, I'd be more concerned with the power situation and event liability insurance.  No insurance, no go.  Too easy to lose your a** in court if something goes wrong.

As to the friendship part:

My grandpa told me 60 years ago or so that the quickest way to lose a friend was to go into business/invest with them. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:03:17 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

James Richmor

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »

Nope.  Racks and stacks are fixed cost. 

IIWY, I'd be more concerned with the power situation and event liability insurance.  No insurance, no go.  Too easy to lose your a** in court if something goes wrong.

As to the friendship part:

My grandpa told me 60 years ago or so that the quickest way to lose a friend was to go into business/invest with them.

We have the insurance quote already and the venue has 400 Amps of 3-Phase power with feeder disconnects

I am sure at some point during this processes i will be attacked by him..... and im okay with that

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »

"100dB" is pretty meaningless as a guess.

The first 100dB SPL is practically free. The next 40dB will cost you though...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't factoring in a split snake/monitor desk/ME/stage wedges/mics/wireless/rf/etc into that number. I'm quoting out a 4 day conference right now for just main/delay flys, FOH desk, snake, motors, distros/cams, labor to deliver/set/strike, and I'm at about $10k. And we wouldn't even actually run the show for them. Oh, and the venue will charge them about $4k more just for the power connections. Haha.
Kelcema Audio

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »

You have to find out what the audience area is. The hall is almost 200 feet wide, are people able to stand everywhere or are there beverage-stands or lockers on the side? The things easily decrease the width of a hall with 40 feet.
With speakers who have a symetrical dispertion (like most linearrays) I like them to be at 1/3 and 2/3 of the audience area.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.